What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: corey on June 18, 2009, 06:49:54 AM
I haven't read it

Give it a try, you might like it. :)

Quote from: corey on June 18, 2009, 06:49:54 AMit's just that my favorites tend toward the surreal.

Orhan Pamuk's your man, then. I remember you started reading one of his books but I can't recall it. Have you finished / enjoyed it?

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

CD

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2009, 06:55:55 AM
Give it a try, you might like it. :)

I own it, just haven't got around to it yet. :D

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2009, 06:55:55 AM
Orhan Pamuk's your man, then. I remember you started reading one of his books but I can't recall it. Have you finished / enjoyed it?

I read The Black Book a few months ago and loved it. I have a few of his others on my reading list and will get to them when I do. Have you read Auto-da-Fe?

Haffner

Quote from: MN Dave on June 18, 2009, 06:57:51 AM

Fun.

I think I still own that crazy book. I liked Lords Of Chaos too. Those Norwegians were either pretending or from another planet.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AndyD. on June 18, 2009, 07:03:18 AM
I think I still own that crazy book. I liked Lords Of Chaos too. Those Norwegians were either pretending or from another planet.

I think they were serious. I don't see the attraction of the dark side myself. Too negative, all that hating and dependence on something to hate.

Haffner

Quote from: MN Dave on June 18, 2009, 07:06:01 AM
I think they were serious. I don't see the attraction of the dark side myself. Too negative, all that hating and dependence on something to hate.

That, plus more than a bit of the music was just comically lame. They'd record themselves poorly on purpose so they could seem more "kult" (boy I bet the Norsk bands have been regretting that ever since!). In a way it was good, because the majority of them stunk to high heaven (or the other) on their instruments, and the songs were often laughable.

I think they were serious for a time. I really wonder if they could keep up such a sustained level of acting "EE-vuhl" in their private lives for long.

They'd eventually have to deal with momma.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AndyD. on June 18, 2009, 07:12:56 AM
That, plus more than a bit of the music was just comically lame. They'd record themselves poorly on purpose so they could seem more "kult" (boy I bet the Norsk bands have been regretting that ever since!). In a way it was good, because the majority of them stunk to high heaven (or the other) on their instruments, and the songs were often laughable.

I think they were serious for a time. I really wonder if they could keep up such a sustained level of acting "EE-vuhl" in their private lives for long.

They'd eventually have to deal with momma.

I think, early on, they all wanted to sound like Venom--poorly produced. Having said that, I like some Venom now and then.

Florestan

Quote from: corey on June 18, 2009, 06:58:42 AM
Have you read Auto-da-Fe?

No, I haven't read anything by Canetti. What other writer(s) is his style/atmosphere like?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Haffner

Quote from: MN Dave on June 18, 2009, 07:16:38 AM
I think, early on, they all wanted to sound like Venom--poorly produced. Having said that, I like some Venom now and then.

"Black Metallllll". I like Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark, too. The guy's (Quorthon's) voice was the most despicable sounding lizard vomit, a title held until the onset of Obituary,

Valentino

Quote from: AndyD. on June 18, 2009, 07:03:18 AM
Those Norwegians were either pretending or from another planet.
We are one sinister bunch are we not?
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Valentino on June 18, 2009, 09:04:27 AM
We are one sinister bunch are we not?

You just want your Odin back.  ;D

CD

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2009, 07:17:48 AM
No, I haven't read anything by Canetti. What other writer(s) is his style/atmosphere like?

If anything, like Robert Musil or Hermann Broch, but more inclined to the grotesque than either. Auto-da-Fe is his only novel; his other writings are philosophical/social studies.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: corey on June 19, 2009, 10:22:01 AM
If anything, like Robert Musil or Hermann Broch, but more inclined to the grotesque than either. Auto-da-Fe is his only novel; his other writings are philosophical/social studies.

Quit reading that dreadful crap, Corey.

Lethevich

Not much reading: looking at pretty pictures instead. I bought a buttload* of neat architecture books that I had been previously interested in but had not yet found at an acceptable price. Yay, bulk discounts! Currently:

*An underrated word...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jwinter

Finished Ben Franklin's autobiography, now moved on to Washington Irving's The Sketch-Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.  Highly amusing.   :)  After that, some essays from Emerson.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Elgarian

Things have a habit of bumping into each other and sticking together. Having been listening to a lot of Handel cantatas recently, my head has been full of things Arcadian - so much so that when I went to a book fair recently I was looking for something to complement that. This jumped off the shelf at me - a sumptuous catalogue of a recent exhibition in New York that will very nicely make a start to filling an important gap in my knowledge of art history. Poussin has never been high on my list of artists to investigate, but now is exactly the time to do so. And the nice thing about these kind of publications is that even if the essays disappoint, this big, fat hardback is bursting with superb pictures to explore.

karlhenning

Quote from: jwinter on June 19, 2009, 11:50:16 AM
Finished Ben Franklin's autobiography, now moved on to Washington Irving's The Sketch-Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.  Highly amusing.   :)

I'm a huge fan of Washington Irving!

Diletante

I'm having a hard time reading Julio Cortázar's Rayuela. He has a beautiful prose, but I find it rather heavy.

So, today I picked up The Lives of the Great Composers by Harold Schonberg. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived some weeks ago. I read the first chapter (on Monteverdi), and I'm completely gripped! I can't wait to read more!
Orgullosamente diletante.

jwinter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 20, 2009, 08:46:19 AM
I'm a huge fan of Washington Irving!

Yes, he's quite growing on me, good stuff.  I can't say that I'd ever actually read Rip Van Winkle or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow previously, though of course I knew the stories.  Currently reading his sketch of a visit to Stratford-on-Avon, and how it was a tourist-trap even all those years ago. 

This is why I like doing the Teaching Company's courses -- they provide some inspiration and direction, but you can go along at your own pace and explore further as you like.  The course only covers the 2 famous stories, but I think I'll dig a little deeper into Irving before moving on.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice