What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ganondorf and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Lethe on July 24, 2009, 10:00:54 AM
Can I get some recommendations for Walter Scott? I am going through "THE CANON" after being surprised at how readable Wuthering Heights was.

I might get something wrong but... what's Wuthering !Heights got to do with Walter Scott?  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Elgarian

Quote from: Ten thumbs on July 25, 2009, 11:15:28 AM
Speaking of Wuthering Heights ...

... many, many years ago, in my 'Bronte phase', I used to trek out across Haworth moor to Wuthering Heights at the weekends, and read the novel sitting by the ruins of the building that inspired it. Soppy old romantic.

Lethevich

Quote from: Florestan on July 26, 2009, 11:37:06 PM
I might get something wrong but... what's Wuthering !Heights got to do with Walter Scott?  :)

It's the "canon of great English-language literature" term that gets thrown around a lot over here - enough to elicit looks of sweaty panic from the average schoolchild: "Here, 20,000 pages of great art to read - now get to it, chop-chop!". Until now I haven't enjoyed much of the popular Romantic portion of this large pile, so I figure that as I have a foot in with Wuthering Heights, I may as well work on some of the other stuff :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Florestan

Quote from: Lethe on July 27, 2009, 02:26:51 AM
It's the "canon of great English-language literature" term that gets thrown around a lot over here - enough to elicit looks of sweaty panic from the average schoolchild: "Here, 20,000 pages of great art to read - now get to it, chop-chop!". Until now I haven't enjoyed much of the popular Romantic portion of this large pile, so I figure that as I have a foot in with Wuthering Heights, I may as well work on some of the other stuff :)

I got it right this time, thanks. Good luck with Scott and please keep us updated.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ChamberNut

Houseboat Chronicles - by Jake Macdonald

*Great childhood memories!  Autobiographical story about growing up in a prairie city and summer life at the cottage in beautiful Northwest Ontario.

Dr. Dread

BU,

You know about HARD CASE CRIME?

I'm reading DUTCH UNCLE right now. Enjoying it too.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bu

Quote from: MN Dave on July 27, 2009, 05:20:12 AM
BU,

You know about HARD CASE CRIME?

I'm reading DUTCH UNCLE right now. Enjoying it too.

Yessir; have bought some books published by them of Goodis and Parker.  Good stuff, Dave.  :)

Just started: The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald. 

Dr. Dread

'Salem's Lot by that King fellow. Second time reading (last time was nearly 30 years ago; we'll see how it holds up).

CD

Quote from: Lethe on July 27, 2009, 02:26:51 AM

You may want to try Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. One of my favorite English novels.

Brian

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 07:33:31 AM
'Salem's Lot by that King fellow. Second time reading (last time was nearly 30 years ago; we'll see how it holds up).

That's my favorite Stephen King novel! :)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: DavidW on July 28, 2009, 08:11:28 AM
That's my favorite Stephen King novel! :)

Cool. It's definitely up there. I always say mine is PET SEMATARY.

ChamberNut

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 07:33:31 AM

I remembered being scared to death by the made for TV movie series when I was really young, but I definitely thought the movie was hokey the second time around when I watched it again about 5 years ago.  Didn't have that same effect.

Now, I haven't read the book, so maybe I'd like the book better.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 08:16:16 AM
Cool. It's definitely up there. I always say mine is PET SEMATARY.

I received an autographed copy of this one inscribed to me for my high school graduation.  Great read.  I burnt out on his books though a few years later.  I read one after another without a break and have never returned to his work save an attempt to re-read The Stand (my favorite along with PS).  I got a few chapters in and abandoned it.  He definitely needs to be credited from my end to introducing me to the genre of horror novels, and for that matter, adult fiction.  He used to be very accessible in my hometown of Bangor.  In fact, my grandfather used to play cards with him at the Elks and it wasn't uncommon to see him at a local McDonalds.  Here is a shot of his home that you can drive by and see.  Even take a picture in front if you like.  The gates were installed because fans started approaching the house too often and even letting themselves in from time to time.  I guess he would just turn around and see a total stranger in his kitchen....probably creeped him out a bit. ;)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Air

Finished Homer's Iliad... my friend suggested I get into Russian literature, so here's my plan for the upcoming months:

War and Peace by Tolstoy
Great Short Works of Tolstoy
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Great Short Works of Dostoevsky

On the hold for now: Great Short Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

I'm finished 50 pages of War and Peace so far, quite lackluster in my opinion, but then, everyone says that about the first half of Book I.
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Bu

Quote from: Brian on July 28, 2009, 07:58:38 AM
Lolita

Pretty famous  :D

Gave up after 160 pages or so.  Which disappointed me because I wanted to read as many Nabokov books as possible. 

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bu on July 28, 2009, 12:25:37 PM
Gave up after 160 pages or so.  Which disappointed me because I wanted to read as many Nabokov books as possible. 

I read the whole thing, no problem. Then I read something else by him and it scared me away for life.

Henk

Tolstoj - The Kreutzersonata

Milan Kundera - The Curtain

J.H. Donner - Hunt on the Octopus (about Harry Mulisch work)

Last two books are books on literature.

Bu

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 12:27:25 PM
I read the whole thing, no problem. Then I read something else by him and it scared me away for life.

My next book by Vlad was going to be Invitation to a Beheading ............ ;D