What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on July 26, 2009, 11:37:06 PM
I might get something wrong but... what's Wuthering !Heights got to do with Walter Scott?  :)

The Brontes were major fans of his writing. Wuthering Heights in particular was directly influenced by Scott.

Quote... many, many years ago, in my 'Bronte phase', I used to trek out across Haworth moor to Wuthering Heights at the weekends, and read the novel sitting by the ruins of the building that inspired it. Soppy old romantic.

Wonderful, wonderful  0:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 12:27:25 PM
I read the whole thing, no problem. Then I read something else by him and it scared me away for life.
Hard to believe you could have no problem with Lolita and then something else by Nabokov scares you away for life ... what was the other book??

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Brian on July 28, 2009, 02:50:30 PM
Hard to believe you could have no problem with Lolita and then something else by Nabokov scares you away for life ... what was the other book??

Hm. Pale Fire?

SonicMan46

Boy, just cannot catch up w/ my pile of books to read, mostly from the History Book Club, just bought 3 hardbacks for $11 each on a special deal!  Recent start below:

Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America (2009) by Walter Borneman - despite growing up & practicing his politics in Tennessee & Washington, D.C., James K. Pok was born in Pineville, NC in 1795; his birthplace is now part of south Charlotte, near the SC state line; a state historic site w/ a re-built log cabin & visitor's center.  His older mentor, Andrew Jackson, also thought of as from Tennessee was actually born w/i 20 miles or so of Polk on the NC/SC border in 1767 (both states claim him!).

Just getting started w/ this book - comments HERE from Amazon, if interested; during Polk's single term he changed and GREATLY expanded the borders of the USA; first, allowing Texas to enter the Union in 1845, helping to start the Mexican-American war (giving us California & much more), and tricking Britain out of much of the Oregon Territory - this will be an excellent (and revisionist) read on this North Carolinian by birth!  :D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on July 28, 2009, 02:56:05 PM
I'm guessing Laughter in the Dark.  Seriously creepy.

Creepy I like. Experimental, not so much.  :P

Dr. Dread

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 04:51:48 PM
Bwah-hah-hah-haaaaaa!!!

>:D

;)

BU and Dave,
Saw this at the library tonight and did not know if non-fiction noir was of any interest to you:

http://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Noir-Nothing-Truth-Akashic/dp/1933354143

For myself, about to start:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan on July 28, 2009, 03:03:12 PM
Boy, just cannot catch up w/ my pile of books to read, mostly from the History Book Club, just bought 3 hardbacks for $11 each on a special deal!  Recent start below:

Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America (2009) by Walter Borneman - despite growing up & practicing his politics in Tennessee & Washington, D.C., James K. Pok was born in Pineville, NC in 1795; his birthplace is now part of south Charlotte, near the SC state line; a state historic site w/ a re-built log cabin & visitor's center.  His older mentor, Andrew Jackson, also thought of as from Tennessee was actually born w/i 20 miles or so of Polk on the NC/SC border in 1767 (both states claim him!).

Just getting started w/ this book - comments HERE from Amazon, if interested; during Polk's single term he changed and GREATLY expanded the borders of the USA; first, allowing Texas to enter the Union in 1845, helping to start the Mexican-American war (giving us California & much more), and tricking Britain out of much of the Oregon Territory - this will be an excellent (and revisionist) read on this North Carolinian by birth!  :D

Dave, several years ago I got to take a class in presidential history with scholar Douglas Brinkley, who has acquired a national reputation as an author of several books, CBS' political history expert, and the director of the D-Day Museum (he was a pupil of Stephen Ambrose)... Brinkley really thought Polk was one of the greatest presidents of the 19th century, and I agree. As Dr Brinkley puts it (in my class notes), "James K. Polk campaigned on four promises: to fix the border with British Canada, to fix the border with Mexico, to reduce tariffs, and to re-establish an independent treasury. He promised in the campaign to serve only one term. And the great thing about Polk is, when he said something, he meant it. He promised to do just four things, and he did all of them. And then he quit. It's a skill we really miss today in presidential politics: the ability to set out clear goals and then carry them out."

Actually, I see from the Amazon link that Brinkley's praise-quote is on the back of your book!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on July 28, 2009, 07:54:44 PM
Dave, several years ago I got to take a class in presidential history with scholar Douglas Brinkley, who has acquired a national reputation as an author of several books, CBS' political history expert, and the director of the D-Day Museum (he was a pupil of Stephen Ambrose)... Brinkley really thought Polk was one of the greatest presidents of the 19th century, and I agree.......

Brian - Brinkley's quote along w/ a 'handful' of others is on the back of the book; that job took a toll on Polk's health - he died several months after leaving office not yet reaching his 54th birthday!  Dave

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bogey on July 28, 2009, 06:13:05 PM
BU and Dave,
Saw this at the library tonight and did not know if non-fiction noir was of any interest to you:

For myself, about to start:

Looks interesting, Bill. I have a book around here called Twin Cities Noir.

Haven't cracked it open yet.

val

DANA R. VILLA:     "Arendt and Heidegger, the fate of the political"   (1996)

An exhaustive analysis about Arendt perspective of freedom, democracy and politics. I must admit that I am very far from such a perspective. The book is about Arendt, and Heidegger is only mentioned a few times.

Bu

Quote from: Bogey on July 28, 2009, 06:13:05 PM
BU and Dave,

Considering the location and city, Bogey, that book looks fascinating. I'll try and pick it up, along with the one based in San Francisco .

MishaK

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2009, 02:55:29 PM
Hm. Pale Fire?

I liked Pale Fire. I found the poem at the center of it to have quite a musical structure, almost like a standard four-movement symphony.

Harpo

My Sister, My Love by the prolific Joyce Carol Oates. A novel transparently based on the Jonbenet Ramsey murder, told by the older brother. This woman can write.

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Henk

Nietzsche's "The case Wagner"

He argues that the crisis in music was general and not only restricted to Wagner. In fact I think all late-romantic music is examplary of this crisis, of christian values wanting to become distinguished (is this the right english translation of the word "voornaam"?). And not only late-romantic also the music of composers like Bartok (though had much influence), Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Petrassi, Ligeti, Xenakis, Boulez, Lutoslawski, Donatoni, de Raaff I think are examples of this kind of art. It's art that seduces.
EDIT: I think composers like Janacek, Stravinsky, Messiaen, and today Andriessen and Anderson form the small row of composers who made "distinguished" music in modernity.

Hrnk

bwv 1080

Been trying to find some readable science fiction, having read most all of the 70s & 80s era writers 20 years ago.  This is promising - its space opera post-singularity

Brian

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2009, 02:05:32 PM
I think composers like Janacek, Stravinsky, Messiaen and Anderson form the small row of composers who made "distinguished" music in modernity.
Erm ... Leroy Anderson? The waltzing cat guy?

Henk

Quote from: Brian on August 02, 2009, 09:02:37 AM
Erm ... Leroy Anderson? The waltzing cat guy?

Julian Anderson, a contemporary composer.

Brian