What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on August 09, 2009, 11:45:26 AM
I just finished Geck's biography of Bach.  It is very informative but sometimes it feels like merely a collection of facts and quotes without any attempt at building a narrative.  I only read the biography part, I know the musical analysis would be over my head so I didn't read that part.  The strong point is that he thoroughly trashes the mythology created in previous biographies (excepting Wolff which only debunked one little bit about speculation concerning how much secular works written during the Cothen period might have been lost) and creates an account of Bach as a man, and a musician, and not as overwhelming god amidst pions nor as forgotten genius not appreciated in his time. ::)

:)

And increasing Sara's Thanks counter to +2 as well. :) I bought Wolff's book (The Learned Musician) a couple of months ago, but I'm yet to read it. (Receive it in truth.)

Thread duty

The Negotiator
Frederic Forsyth

I love Forsyth's works!
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: opus106 on August 10, 2009, 06:17:10 AM
And increasing Sara's Thanks counter to +2 as well. :) I bought Wolff's book (The Learned Musician) a couple of months ago, but I'm yet to read it. (Receive it in truth.)

Slow mail!  I checked it out of the public library. :)

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on August 10, 2009, 06:21:44 AM
Slow mail!

Not quite. It's stuck at the house of a relative, along with quite a bit of Haydn and Mozart. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

CD

Do I understand all of it? No. But the singing, manifold language makes it so enjoyable that understanding it all almost seems besides the point.

Florestan

A bildungsroman set up in the Argentinian pampa, narrated from the perspective of the hero. The direct and concise style, which nevertheless contains beautiful and suggestive nature descriptions, is well-suited to the task. I'm enjoying it a lot.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ChamberNut

Haydn - by Pierre Barbaud

A great read!  :)

Lethevich

A third of the way through Geck's Bach, and David is totally on the ball about its nature as a collection of facts rather than a psychological type of biography. I was surprised by the format, which has a layout resembling a pamphlet - lots of pictures and seperated boxes of capsule information, sometimes kind of unimportant. While these do distract from the main text a little, they also offer some relief, making it very "readable" in chapter-sized chunks.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Ten thumbs

I am now reading Anne Brontë's 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'. Some consider this to the best Brontë novel of all. Certainly it was at the time the most shocking. Even Charlotte Brontë suppressed further edition's after Anne's death because she though it a 'mistake'. I can think of some on this board who would not like it for its stance on women's rights.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Dr. Dread

CD

Quote from: corey on August 10, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

This book is making me insane. I keep reading different meanings into customers' last names at work.

Bu

Heard some bad things about this one, but so far Bukowski's p.i. is hysterically funny and a lot of fun to read.

Dr. Dread

I need to read some of his shit.

Bu

You should, Dave.  The novels and the poetry are both good shit.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bu on August 17, 2009, 10:33:49 AM
You should, Dave.  The novels and the poetry are both good shit.

That's what I keep hearing from my noir pals.

Bu

Quote from: MN Dave on August 17, 2009, 10:34:32 AM
That's what I keep hearing from my noir pals.

He fits right in, really................. ;)   ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Alexander Theroux, An Adultery (1987)

This morning I had never even heard of Alexander Theroux (older brother of Paul). Then a Danish friend over at Thomas Ligotti Online posted a passage from this writer's magnum opus 'Darconville's Cat' which impressed me so much I went to the Royal Library in The Hague to borrow this and a later novel. Theroux is erudite and stylish. 'An Adultery' makes me want to read it in one go, but alas, it is already 1.30 AM and tomorrow I have other things to attend to. But I have 100 pages already under my belt.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

rockerreds

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Bogey on August 03, 2009, 01:17:03 PM

20 shorts from DH.

This looks good. I'll grab it from the library.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Diletante

I finished Harold Schonberg's The Lives of the Great Composers a few days ago.

I have started reading Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms. I've already enjoyed a couple of books by Capote, and this one seems pretty interesting so far.

Orgullosamente diletante.

Philoctetes

The Baroque by Bazin

It's very interesting so far. Very detailed.