What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

One of the best works of detective fiction I've ever come across!!!

If you like Henning Mankell then you'll love Stieg Larsson
Cheers

Holden

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Holden on August 22, 2009, 12:22:54 AM

One of the best works of detective fiction I've ever come across!!!

If you like Henning Mankell then you'll love Stieg Larsson

Yeah, everyone's raving about that one, Holden. I have a crime fiction forum; if you're interested, PM me.

Speaking of crime...

sound67

I have been an admirer of Cormac McCarthy's novels ever since I read Outer Dark (1968, which is still my favorite)) and Child of God (1973) about a decade and a half ago. Commercially, he didn't hit the big timew until All the Pretty Horses and the rest of the 'Border Trilogy', although I do think that his previous novels, up to and including Blood Meridian (1985), were the more powerful. The post-apocalyptic The Road harks back to his earlier work, particularly Child of God, his bleakest book. The Road is not quite in that class, the prose and situations being (necessarily, perhaps) slightly redundant - count how many times McCarthy mentions blackened trees e.g.

Still, there are powerful mental images and harrowing, intense situations in this new book, too.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MN Dave on August 22, 2009, 04:53:52 AM
Yeah, everyone's raving about that one, Holden. I have a crime fiction forum; if you're interested, PM me.

I like Mankell very much. Larsson has been on my radar for some time now. I must give him a try...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dr. Dread

SonicMan46

Currently on a trip to southwestern North Carolina, i.e. Highlands area - kind of a wilderness of forest & waterfalls, so bought along a book recommended to me by Ray (i.e. ChamberNut):

Houseboat Chronicles: Notes From a Life in Shield (2004) by Jake MacDonald - a very personal life history account of growing up in Manitoba, travelling to adjacent provinces, relating to the nature (and pre-Colubmbian history) of the area, and much more personal feelings & experiences - an enjoyable and too fast a read - recommended for those who like this naturalistic approach to your environment!   :D

ChamberNut

Quote from: SonicMan on August 23, 2009, 04:57:19 PM
Currently on a trip to southwestern North Carolina, i.e. Highlands area - kind of a wilderness of forest & waterfalls, so bought along a book recommended to me by Ray (i.e. ChamberNut):

Houseboat Chronicles: Notes From a Life in Shield (2004) by Jake MacDonald - a very personal life history account of growing up in Manitoba, travelling to adjacent provinces, relating to the nature (and pre-Colubmbian history) of the area, and much more personal feelings & experiences - an enjoyable and too fast a read - recommended for those who like this naturalistic approach to your environment!   :D

Hey Dave!  Very happy to hear you are enjoying the book.  I had a feeling you would!  :)

Thread duty:

The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway

A fictionalized story of four separate individuals (including the cellist) in Sarejevo during the terrible seige of the city in the 1990's and their struggle to survive.

Terrific read so far, yet very sad, very difficult to read at times.

CD

I'm about halfway through Finnegans Wake, but I'm going to stop now. I just don't think I'm ready for this book. Maybe next year.

Now reading:

Probably not useful as a work of pure "scientific" history as we know it now, but invaluable for Herodotus's own thoughts on the machinations of history and as basically the first narrative prose work ever.

Brian

I'm about to start Swann's Way.
Wish me luck.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on August 30, 2009, 01:20:23 PM
Wish me luck.

Trying to cure your insomnia? tehehe ;D

I kid, I kid! :D

SonicMan46

Boone - A Biography (2008) by Robert Morgan - this is a rather long bio about Daniel Boone, the famous frontiersman, hunter, explorer, and other roles in his long life (1734-1820); born in Pennsylvannia, spent much of his early/middle adult years in the Yadkin River Valley of North Carolina (where I currently live), moved to Kentucky, and died in Missouri. 

This book has received some superlative comments and reviews (e.g. a Washington Post best book of the year), but as written by a fiction author can be somewhat rambling and wordy - may not interest those who do not live in the area; however, for me the stories on the regions I recognize, the geography, the place names, and so many other familiar discussion is just wonderful.   :D

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2009, 02:32:41 PM
Trying to cure your insomnia? tehehe ;D

I kid, I kid! :D
;D Unfortunately it's for a class. :(

CD

Quote from: Brian on August 30, 2009, 01:20:23 PM
Wish me luck.

Just Swann's Way? It's not that long.

rubio

Quote from: corey on August 31, 2009, 07:11:10 AM
Reading:

That one is high on my "to be read" list. Comments will be appreciated! :)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Brian

Quote from: corey on August 31, 2009, 07:00:47 AM
Just Swann's Way? It's not that long.
He makes it feel like it, though.

Dr. Dread

Ten thumbs

I've finished 'Villette' now. It is absolutely stunning and for light relief I've turned to Maria Edgeworth's 'Castle Rackrent', a short but ground-breaking work, full of Irish humour.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.