What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten thumbs

Just finished an old classic: Caleb Williams by William Godwin.
This is a somewhat grueling psychological novel but it is nevertheless riveting - an early form of crime and punishment. Godwin was Mary Shelley's father.
Now reading 'The Sorrows of Werther', Goethe |(in translation).

A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

CD

Henri Bergson - An Introduction to Metaphysics

MN Dave

Quote from: MN Dave on September 27, 2009, 06:20:57 PM
One story in and yes it's good.

This was excellent. Highly recommended.

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 30, 2009, 09:45:29 AM
In the early goings, 30 pages of swimming against the current.  The story seems interesting, but I'm just having difficulty with the writing style!  :P

Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Sounds like you've got the wrong translation, my friend. Is it Constance Garnett? Her translation stinks. Pick up Pevear and Volokhonsky. I couldn't get through C&P until I picked up P&V's translation - and then I couldn't put it down!! If you've got someone other than P&V, it's well worth the wait and money to put down the book and go buy their version.

One of my favorite books, though it's not as amazing as the Brothers K.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2009, 07:44:07 AM
Sounds like you've got the wrong translation, my friend. Is it Constance Garnett? Her translation stinks. Pick up Pevear and Volokhonsky. I couldn't get through C&P until I picked up P&V's translation - and then I couldn't put it down!! If you've got someone other than P&V, it's well worth the wait and money to put down the book and go buy their version.

One of my favorite books, though it's not as amazing as the Brothers K.

Yes, I have the one translated by Constance Garnett!  :D

Starting to get better and getting used to the language more now........I'm into it now, so I think I'll just keep going.  :)

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 05, 2009, 08:15:42 AM
Yes, I have the one translated by Constance Garnett!  :D

Thought so.  :-\  She was known for Anglicizing Dostoevsky's sentence structures and high-class-ifying his slang. But if you get through, well, awesome, and you'll have something to look forward to on the second read  8)

CD

Bertrand Russell - The Problems of Philosophy

My posts here are becoming increasingly Papagenoesque  :-\

Brian

Quote from: corey on October 05, 2009, 03:34:46 PM
My posts here are becoming increasingly Papagenoesque  :-\

Eh, you haven't faked your own death yet.  :-\

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2009, 03:54:10 PM
Eh, you haven't faked your own death yet.  :-\

Or made your own student film about eros. ;D

MN Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: MN Dave on October 05, 2009, 04:17:22 PM
I was dead.   I got better.

Yes, resurrection must be a glorious experience - looking forward to my own!  ;D

lisa needs braces

Quote from: secondwind on October 02, 2009, 06:14:54 PM
Just finished:
It reminded me why I like Irving.

I read this back in May and highly enjoyed it.

That's a horrible book cover though.

secondwind

Just started this in the afternoon (there are some advantages to being home from work with a cold!).  I liked Gilead very much.  Robinson is an incredible prose stylist.

MN Dave

Florestan

Jean-Francois Revel - The Useless Knowledge (La Conaissance inutile)

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite books. A stylish yet devastating critique of the post-WWII leftist ideologies.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

val

JOSÉ ANTONIO MARINA:    "Ética para Náufragos"

I didn't now this Spanish author, but this book is very refreshing. In a colloquial style, an unpretentious perspective of moral and ethics, and a very good refutation of moral relativism.

Florestan

Quote from: val on October 07, 2009, 11:20:37 PM
JOSÉ ANTONIO MARINA:    "Ética para Náufragos"

I didn't now this Spanish author, but this book is very refreshing. In a colloquial style, an unpretentious perspective of moral and ethics, and a very good refutation of moral relativism.

Sounds interesting.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy