What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on November 15, 2009, 10:48:23 PM

I read your excellent review, Dave. Sounds interesting... BUT - there is so much I still have to read and, yes, to write...

Thanks for the kind words on my review, Johan. And, yes, there is much to read and write! I'm currently rethinking my approach to novel-writing. I've yet to complete one (without a collaborator).

Harpo

Has anyone read the mysteries of James Lee Burke? My brother says he's a superb writer.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

MN Dave

Quote from: Harpo on November 16, 2009, 07:04:13 AM
Has anyone read the mysteries of James Lee Burke? My brother says he's a superb writer.

Yes. Do not hesitate.

Valentino

Quote from: ^ on November 13, 2009, 08:58:05 AM
But, en anglais there is no note H . . . .
And still you can write music! Fantastic, isn't it?  ;D
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Ten thumbs

I have finished 'The Wild Irish Girl', which is quite a good story. In parts it is perhaps a little overloaded with Irish history but then it is a political novel. Lady Morgan equates the natural with the national Irishman and thus lays the foundations for Irish nationalism. This is a good introduction to my next author, de Staël, who with her emphasis on 'nationalité' laid the bedrock for a 'science of nations'. This is the age of Beethoven and it is interesting to reflect that at that time de Staël was far more famous and influential than he. However, I suppose most of us here prefer music to history.
I am therefore beginning 'Corinne, or italy'; en anglaise of course.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

MN Dave

Quote from: Amvend on November 15, 2009, 06:17:10 PM
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

I like her writing style but this one is oh so bleak...

Scarpia

Quote from: Amvend on November 18, 2009, 05:14:57 AM
I like her writing style but this one is oh so bleak...

Bleak, but very short and concise.  A very strikingly drawn tableau.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on November 18, 2009, 08:34:37 AM
Bleak, but very short and concise.  A very strikingly drawn tableau.

Agreed.

MN Dave

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

CD

What is Amvend (other than an anagram for MNdave)? :D

MN Dave

Quote from: Corey on November 18, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Dunno. American Vendors?

Bogey

Quote from: Corey on November 18, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

AMVend is a proprietary video file format, produced for MP4 players, as well as S1 MP3 players with video playback that has come to a conclusion.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Diletante

I finished Julio Cortázar's Las armas secretas a few days ago. Very nice short stories, although the last one stumped me. Anyone else like Cortázar?

Then I read Pirandello's Six Characters in Search of an Author . I didn't like it. I found the plot banal and weak, and the whole "characters searching for an author" thing didn't grab my attention. Maybe I didn't 'get' it.
Orgullosamente diletante.

Scarpia

Quote from: Diletante on November 20, 2009, 05:16:23 PM
I finished Julio Cortázar's Las armas secretas a few days ago. Very nice short stories, although the last one stumped me. Anyone else like Cortázar?

Then I read Pirandello's Six Characters in Search of an Author . I didn't like it. I found the plot banal and weak, and the whole "characters searching for an author" thing didn't grab my attention. Maybe I didn't 'get' it.

Had the same reaction when reading a different work of Pirandello. 

karlhenning

Revisiting Brideshead Revisited;  and there are spooky aspects to that.

And, Why Begins With W has arrived just now!

karlhenning

QuoteAnd, Why Begins With W has arrived just now!

Began reading that yesterday afternoon, and although work tended to interfere, I had finished it before retiring for the night.  Great fun!  I enjoyed it, and I am well past the 'target age group'.

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on November 15, 2009, 10:48:23 PM

I read your excellent review, Dave. Sounds interesting... BUT - there is so much I still have to read and, yes, to write...

The author wrote me a nice Facebook letter. :)

SonicMan46

Well, I'm into my American Revolution mode - currently reading the book below:

Almost A Miracle:  The American Victory in the War of Independence (2007) by John Ferling - just getting started; nearly 600 pages, so will take me a while (since I often read 3-4 books at a time); so far, quite well done w/ much detail - don't expect a quick & easy read of this one!  :D