What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Velimir on January 26, 2010, 03:43:59 AM
Problem with the book (to the extent I remember it) was the difficulty of keeping all the plots-within-plots straight. If you stop reading it for a while and then go back to it, it's kind of hard to pick up the track again.

Quote from: zorzynek on January 26, 2010, 04:27:49 AM
Yeah, when you put it that way I must agree. It's a labyrinth book for sure.
To me, that sounds like a good thing.  :D

Elgarian

I go through Elvis cycles in the same way as I go through philosophy cycles. A few years go by and then suddenly only Elvis (or philosophy, if it's philosophy's turn) will do. On this current resurgence I turned again to this, the second volume of what I suppose is the best biography of Elvis that we have.

Is it just an old hangover from my pop music past? Partly it's that; but partly it's because I'm intrigued by the fact that if you take someone immensely talented and give him the adulation of millions and millions of people, and give him virtually unlimited money to do as he likes, he sets about destroying himself and finally succeeds. So all those desires we sometimes admit to - 'if only I could sing/paint/write with unsurpassable brilliance' - 'if only I could be loved/admired/wanted to distraction' - 'if only I could have more and more of whatever I want' - all those dreams are shown to be not merely unattainable, but actually dangerous. I used to find the decline and fall of Elvis depressing, but these days I see it as tragic, certainly, but not actually depressing. After all, he experienced moments the like of which none of us will ever know; and there's something in that story - like a myth made real - about the human condition which I can absorb, and ponder, and even (in my own small way) learn from.

zorzynek

listener

Quote from: zorzynek on January 26, 2010, 03:31:22 AM
Movie's excellent, but it lacks a lot of plots and subplots from the book. Also, I don't recall Manuscript as extremely hard or very absorbing.

Music is by Krzysztof Penderecki.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Maciek

Greg, don't remember if you read French, but if you ever get around to reading Potocki, it might be a good idea to use an original edition (ie. in French) - they are by far the most complete (especially the more recent ones).

greg

Quote from: Maciek on January 26, 2010, 11:50:48 PM
Greg, don't remember if you read French, but if you ever get around to reading Potocki, it might be a good idea to use an original edition (ie. in French) - they are by far the most complete (especially the more recent ones).
I wish I could read French.  :(

CD

Finally finished Céline's Journey to the End of the Night — took me almost two months to finish it with emotional stress, work, and a move across the country getting in the way, but I have to say it was one of the very best books I've ever read.

Now starting:

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

karlhenning

Not sure enjoy is quite the right verb, but I am with you!  A wonderful book.

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2010, 08:54:31 AM
Not sure enjoy is quite the right verb

Well, you're right, Karl! Beware is much more appropriate! :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

zorzynek

It's not as good as credit it gets, but it's slightly better than I expected.

val

GERALD BRONNER:      "La pensée extrême"

A remarkable book. The subject is: how ordinary man become fanatics. This is a deep sociological and psychological essay, mentioning a lot of real cases - in special,  Muslim fundamentalists, but also radicals from other religions.
It is very impressive to observe all the techniques and methods that will lead a normal but frustrated person into a fanatic ready to kill or die for some absurd belief.

DavidW

Read

two words: zombie dolphins! :D

Then read

He is a badass!  Cool read. 8)  Thanks Dave for the rec. :)

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on January 29, 2010, 06:14:20 PM

Then read

He is a badass!  Cool read. 8)  Thanks Dave for the rec. :)

Any time, amigo. Look for the other Quarry books as well.

MN Dave

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 31, 2010, 03:17:44 PM
On deck:

This was hot stuff. I guess there's a movie too. I wanna see it.  8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Corey on January 28, 2010, 07:21:30 AM
Finally finished Céline's Journey to the End of the Night — took me almost two months to finish it with emotional stress, work, and a move across the country getting in the way, but I have to say it was one of the very best books I've ever read.

Now starting:

How is that Corey?  I'm still reading Brothers Karamazov.  At less than ten pages a day (so far), it's taking me a long time to get through it.  Just don't have a lot of time to read.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brahmsian on February 02, 2010, 09:11:08 AM
How is that Corey?  I'm still reading Brothers Karamazov.  At less than ten pages a day (so far), it's taking me a long time to get through it.  Just don't have a lot of time to read.

Karamazov is supposed to be the masterpiece.  I loved it as an adolescent, but upon re-reading found it preachy.  The Devils and the Idiot are my favorite of Dostoevsky.

CD

Quote from: Brahmsian on February 02, 2010, 09:11:08 AM

Very good so far.

MN Dave