What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I read Darkness at the Edge of Town by Brian Keene-- he even admits in the novel how he borrowed from The Mist, but The Mist is better this wasn't that good.

I'm currently reading Duma Key by Stephen King. :)

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2010, 05:38:08 AM
I read Darkness at the Edge of Town by Brian Keene-- he even admits in the novel how he borrowed from The Mist, but The Mist is better this wasn't that good.

I'm currently reading Duma Key by Stephen King. :)

You brave soul...

Scarpia

After reading about Britten's Opera I went back to read the original Death in Venice again.  And again I don't understand why this work is held in such high regard by some people.  I don't have much symphathy with the subject matter and don't find it the best work of Mann.  I was surprised when I later read the wiki page and it said that Mann modeled the main character on Mahler.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on April 05, 2010, 06:16:30 AM
After reading about Britten's Opera I went back to read the original Death in Venice again.  And again I don't understand why this work is held in such high regard by some people.  I don't have much symphathy with the subject matter and don't find it the best work of Mann.  I was surprised when I later read the wiki page and it said that Mann modeled the main character on Mahler.

I never made it up his Magic Mountain.  ;D

MN Dave

Oh, I'm also reading this. Pretty interesting.

karlhenning

DavidW

Dave, isn't that the book where the gimmicky title is not the thesis of the book? :D

I forgot I read something interesting recently--

It was a good read, highly informative and not biased. :)

karlhenning

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2010, 06:56:43 AM
Dave, isn't that the book where the gimmicky title is not the thesis of the book? :D

Pretty much so far which doesn't mean it's not a good book. It is.

Scarpia

Quote from: MN Dave on April 05, 2010, 06:28:34 AM
I never made it up his Magic Mountain.  ;D

I liked Zauberberg, but Buddenbrucks is perhaps his most conventional work, and perhaps the one I related best to.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on April 05, 2010, 07:03:25 AM
Pretty much so far which doesn't mean it's not a good book. It is.

Yeah I know, I just don't like outrageous titles just to sell.  It makes it sound like "Mozart is a fraud, Luchesi is god" kind of thing. :D

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2010, 08:03:39 AM
Yeah I know, I just don't like outrageous titles just to sell.  It makes it sound like "Mozart is a fraud, Luchesi is god" kind of thing. :D

I burned through his blues book and so far he's two for two with me.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on April 05, 2010, 08:11:31 AM
I burned through his blues book and so far he's two for two with me.

Was it titled "Davis is a fraud: the history of how Luchesi created Jazz"? ;D jeje

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2010, 08:13:20 AM
Was it titled "Davis is a fraud: the history of how Luchesi created Jazz"? ;D jeje

ESCAPING THE DELTA

Maybe his publisher made up that Beatles title.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on April 05, 2010, 08:14:37 AM
ESCAPING THE DELTA

Maybe his publisher made up that Beatles title.

Yeah that's what I read, that it was the publisher that came up with the title. :)

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2010, 08:16:24 AM
Yeah that's what I read, that it was the publisher that came up with the title. :)

And there you have it.  8)

DavidW

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I wanted to say that I was not trying to even insinuate that Davis created jazz.  The speed of typing is faster than the speed of thought. :D

karlhenning

Ten thumbs

I will shortly have finished reading The Mysteries of Udolpho, Ann Radcliffe's archetypal Gothic novel. It is difficult to describe this book, which some say is too long yet is not long enough. Certainly it is gripping, in spite of some scenes of suspended animation. Its heroine, Emily St Aubert is characterized as 'fainting a lot' but actually she is verbally quite bold when it comes to confronting the villains and pragmatic in her belief that what seems supernatural will be found to have a rational explanation. This novel was one of the most influential of its era but is best approached now as a somewhat surreal psychological drama. It may be a 'flawed' masterpiece but it is nevertheless a masterpiece and deserving of its place in the hall of fame - definitively a classic.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Saul

I'm almost finished reading The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien for the third time. Totally amazing, love this book, the films are great too.
Completed reading The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lost Tales and The Children of Hurin, by the same author. Love his works.