What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oabmarcus

Martin Lind

Philip K. Dick:  Flow My tears the policeman said. He is one of my fauvorite authors but I usually read him in German translation. I am German. I have to look up a lot of words, it's not easy English, but for me this novell is a good choice to enjoy and to improve my English. I have managed now to read half of the novel.

Regards
Martin

Scarpia

Quote from: Martin Lind on June 19, 2010, 06:17:40 PM
Philip K. Dick:  Flow My tears the policeman said. He is one of my fauvorite authors but I usually read him in German translation. I am German. I have to look up a lot of words, it's not easy English, but for me this novell is a good choice to enjoy and to improve my English. I have managed now to read half of the novel.

Regards
Martin

I've read that one recently.  A very interesting book.

MN Dave

Regards
Martin

I read that one way back. Not his best but still good.

Sergeant Rock

Reading Warrior's Rage, a first person account of Desert Storm, focusing primarily on the tank battle at 73 Easting. I didn't participate but I did hear the battle from a distance, and eventually saw the results (we, the First Cavalry Division, were in reserve, coming up on the right flank of the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment, the author's unit which bore the brunt of the battle). The "rage" in the title refers to the author's outrage that the generals acquiesed to political expediency and allowed the war to end before the Republican Guard was destroyed. That political decision had horrific consequences for the Iraqi Shiites and Kurds, groups opposed to Sadam Hussein.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st Century Writer by Jeff VanderMeer.

Scarpia

Regards
Martin

So far I'd place UBIK as Dick's best.

Lethevich

What exactly do those guys do? I hear the phrase every now and again and have some kind of "mounties in the desert" mental image, but...? :-\
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Lethe - Wiki can probably fill you in.

Bill - I changed my mind and am instead reading REPLAY by Ken Grimwood as recommended here in the SF thread.  ;D And no, I haven't read the first book in that duo.

Marc

Re-reading Roseanna AKA Kvinna i Göta kanal AKA Die Tote in Göta-Kanal AKA De vrouw in het Götakanaal, by Sjöwall och Wahlöö.

Is it any good?

Have a well-educated guess ....

;)

oabmarcus

Bogey

Considering:

Synopsis:The sole police officer to be executed in U.S. history, NYPD lieutenant Charles Becker died in the electric chair in 1915 for the murder of a lowlife gambler who pimped his own wife. Set apart from other, mostly Irish, New York policemen by his German ancestry and "markedly intelligent," Becker bribed his way in 1894 onto a force infected by Tammany Hall and worked undercover patrolling the crime-riddled midtown Manhattan district called Satan's Circus, the city's center of entertainment and vice. Acquitted in 1896 of charges of falsely arresting a woman for prostitution, a charge testified to by novelist Stephen Crane, Becker went on to commit graft, perjury and theft, but by 1911 he headed his own vice squad and by 1912 he had built up a vast extortion racket. Gambler Herman Rosenthal, one of Becker's victims, exposed him to the media and the DA, and when Rosenthal was shot to death, Becker became the notorious prime suspect although some doubted his guilt. Peopled by mobsters and crooked cops and politicians, and chronicling the early years of the NYPD as well as Becker's ruin and comeuppance, this engrossing, well-researched history by the author of Batavia's Graveyard immerses readers in the corrupt hurly-burly that was old New York.

and due to Dave's post:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on June 26, 2010, 05:00:56 AM
Re-reading Roseanna AKA Kvinna i Göta kanal AKA Die Tote in Göta-Kanal AKA De vrouw in het Götakanaal, by Sjöwall och Wahlöö.

Is it any good?

Have a well-educated guess ....

;)

Looks like a Swedish noir. One would expect a Maigretsson-style main character. :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Starting a new tome today (600+ pages) that's been 'sitting around' in my to read pile for probably a year or more:

Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830 (2007) by John Elliott - must have been a good recommendation from somewhere/someone - nearly all 5* ratings on Amazon!  :D

Todd

I'm a few chapters into this recent bio of Wilson.  It's well researched and well written, but the author's bias is rather obvious.  That's neither a good nor bad thing, but I'll be shocked if it doesn't color the sections dealing with the First World War.  Since I bought this mostly to learn more about Wilson's pre-Presidential period, I'm content to this point.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

karlhenning

Just started The Gesualdo Hex by Glenn Watkins (a name I somehow want to think is a pseudonym for a resident of Watkins Glen).

Opus106

Also in the Just Started company, I just began reading The Brtiannica Guide to Genetics. Finally, a chance to get some basic facts about this stuff into my head.
Regards,
Navneeth

val

FICHTE:   "Reden an die Deutsche Nation"

Fichte made this conferences in the University of Berlin, in 1808. Their purpose is to establish a new and revolutionary plan for the national education.
Fichte assumes that German language is the only that can be considered alive, the same way that Germans are the only ones to deserve the qualification as A PEOPLE. Not only Germans are the only ones able to understand their own culture, but only they can understand the decadence of other peoples and nations better than this ones.

I know that those ideas will be repeated, a century later by German nationalists. However, this book has remarkable ideas about education and Fichte's ideas had a deep impact in German educational reforms in the XIX century and in the first half of he XX.