What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 01, 2010, 05:18:04 AM
A chapter in MS., "Betrayed by the Finest Hand." Excellent! Absorbing, abounding in expertly turned phrases, vividly and sensitively depicted characters, thrills, nostalgia.  Rich reading indeed.

Wow!  What a book that must be!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Mind over Mood - by Dennis Greenberger, PhD; Christine A. Padesky, PhD

Working my way through some good old fashioned cognitive behavior therapy.  I find that CBT, at times, works like magic instantly.  Some times and certain situations, it takes a lot more work.

Lisz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 01, 2010, 05:18:04 AM
A chapter in MS., "Betrayed by the Finest Hand." Excellent! Absorbing, abounding in expertly turned phrases, vividly and sensitively depicted characters, thrills, nostalgia.  Rich reading indeed.

Sounds fascinating, Karl, but I must plead ignorance. What is MS?

karlhenning

Lisz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 03, 2010, 09:32:20 AM
Manuscript.

TY! I guess you're not in a position to divulge anymore, but it's a intriguing chapter title. :)

Lisz

Revisiting this gem with a loving friend.

MN Dave

THE JEWEL OF SEVEN STARS by Bram Stoker

Brahmsian

Quote from: MN Dave on September 04, 2010, 06:30:44 AM

That's interesting Dave. 

Has anyone read the so-called 'sequel' to Bram Stoker's Dracula?  It's called 'Dracula, The Un-Dead', written by his great-grandnephew Dacre Stoker.

http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Un-Dead-Dacre-Stoker/dp/0525951296/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1283625001&sr=8-2-fkmr0

karlhenning

PG Wodehouse, Young Men in Spats

I had to explain spats to a co-worker at the museum shop last night.  She is of foreign origin, but of course, I might just as well have needed to explain spats to a native of the US . . . .

MN Dave

CD

never pegged Stoker as a mummy's boy.

MN Dave

I just read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" on my iPhone. Haven't seen the movie.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on September 06, 2010, 12:44:43 PM
I just read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" on my iPhone. Haven't seen the movie.

You are fortunate for that.  But if you do, only watch the first half.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on September 06, 2010, 02:49:15 PM
You are fortunate for that.  But if you do, only watch the first half.

Hm...

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on September 06, 2010, 02:54:49 PM
Hm...

Hey, by the way Dave, that sci-fi I am reading, Altered Carbon, won the Philip K. Dick award and has heavy noir overtones.  Fun read so far.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

PS
Dave,
Might you link me to your Blue Girl(?) story and would you mind if I set it up for others to read on another forum?

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on September 06, 2010, 02:58:04 PM
Hey, by the way Dave, that sci-fi I am reading, Altered Carbon, won the Philip K. Dick award and has heavy noir overtones.  Fun read so far.

Cool. I'll wishlist it.

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on September 06, 2010, 03:01:02 PM
PS
Dave,
Might you link me to your Blue Girl(?) story and would you mind if I set it up for others to read on another forum?

No problem. Watch for a PM.

MN Dave

Quote from: MN Dave on September 04, 2010, 06:30:44 AM

Had to quit. Halfway through and SO boring...