What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

I've been reading Victor Gollancz's intolerable Journey Towards Music. I'd like to tear each page from the book, one by one, and do something excruciatingly horrible to each. The superciliousness of the man, his unwavering acceptance of his personal taste as the arbiter of value, his lack of concern for the fact that he's likely to alienate his readers in so many different ways on every page, his crass rejection of 'the gramophone' on what he supposes to be principle ... oh, oh, oh. I haven't been so infuriated by the supercilious stupidity of a book since ... since ... oh, since ...

Words fail me.

karlhenning

Alan, I am grateful that you're taking this one on the chin for our sins . . . .

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2010, 11:46:33 AM
Alan, I am grateful that you're taking this one on the chin for our sins . . . .
It's a matter of duty, Karl, and public service.

Franco

So, is Victor Gollancz James' real name?

karlhenning

Scarpia

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 11:43:58 AM
oh, oh, oh. I haven't been so infuriated by the supercilious stupidity of a book since ... since ... oh, since ...

...The Golden Ring?

Elgarian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 15, 2010, 11:51:36 AM
...The Golden Ring?
It's so unfair to take advantage of a man when he's down.

SonicMan46

Fur, Fortune, and Empire (2010) by Eric Jay Dolan - just getting started; the early chapters could be subtitled 'About the beaver.....' - I've even added a pic below of Ben Franklin in his famous 'beaver hat' (the under belly fur made wonderfully water-resistant felt) - description & comments HERE; so far, a lot of excellent early American history - expect to enjoy -  :D

Brahmsian

Night Shift - Stephen King

Finally got around to finish reading all these short stories.  My favorite by far was 'Jerusalem's Lot' (which has nothing to do with Salem's Lot, FYI :)).  Others I enjoyed were 'The Mangler', 'The Ledge', and 'Children of the Corn'.

Some others were OK, but not great, while some were absolute duds.  I found 'Night Surf', 'Sometimes They Come Back', 'Strawberry Spring', and some others, to be quite dull.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

AndyD.

Rereading Lewis Lockwood's Beethoven.

This book is perfect for a beginner to Beethoven and his music. Unfortunately, I find myself having to order scholastic books to dig deeper in to the music. The pieces on the late string quartets and piano sonatas are very short.

It bears repeating that this is the best a beginner could hope for in a Beethoven book. Just enough information to make you want more.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

karlhenning

Just finished World's End last night. Will set right to re-reading East Is East today.

Brahmsian

Quote from: AndyD. on September 23, 2010, 03:43:20 AM
Rereading Lewis Lockwood's Beethoven.

This book is perfect for a beginner to Beethoven and his music. Unfortunately, I find myself having to order scholastic books to dig deeper in to the music. The pieces on the late string quartets and piano sonatas are very short.

It bears repeating that this is the best a beginner could hope for in a Beethoven book. Just enough information to make you want more.

I love that book, Andy.

AndyD.

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2010, 05:30:53 AM
I love that book, Andy.

Yes! It's excellent, and not dumbed down in the least. It's actually an excellent read for anybody into Beethoven.

I'm one of those weirdos that reads two or three books at the same time, I'll probably be wrapping up the amusing "Nietzsche Contra Wagner" this evening as well.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Brahmsian

Finished reading Carrie.  A good read, but the ending is a little anti-climatic compared to the Brian DePalma 1976 movie, with the sharp flying implements!  :D

I have to watch that movie again, as I remember the very powerful, tremendous acting performances by both Piper Laurie as Carrie's mother (absolutely no one could have possibly played a more terrifying account of this character), and Sissy Spacek as Carrie (again, a brilliant choice for the role).

greg

Well, I read the first 100/900 pages of Don Quixote. I loved it...
However, I had to stop since I have other stuff that I need to focus on- but, when I do pick it up again,  8)!

karlhenning

Just finished East Is East. And (like World's End) I now doubt that I actually read through to the end, the first time.  Boyle in top form; and the novel could end in no other way.

bwv 1080

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 24, 2010, 09:43:49 AM
Finished reading Carrie.  A good read, but the ending is a little anti-climatic compared to the Brian DePalma 1976 movie, with the sharp flying implements!  :D

I have to watch that movie again, as I remember the very powerful, tremendous acting performances by both Piper Laurie as Carrie's mother (absolutely no one could have possibly played a more terrifying account of this character), and Sissy Spacek as Carrie (again, a brilliant choice for the role).

Always chuckle at the crazy fundamentalist chick with crucifixes on her walls - they should have done a little more research