What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

val

JORGE LUIS BORGES:          El Libro de los seres imaginarios

This "book of the imaginary beings" is not, and by far, one of Borges best works. The only interest is the description of same obscure mythologies.

Brahmsian

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Scarpia

I've not finished the book, but I think I have to post now because this book is so boring I may never get the enthusiasm to read a book again.  "The Years" by Virginia Woolf. 

My lord, nothing, but nothing happens in this book.  I'm within 50 pages of the end, and the various characters seem to be at a party in which they are all rather annoyed with each other, and reminiscing about various monumental events, like having bumped into each other near Saint Paul's and having had lunch in a restaurant on the Strand, 20 years before. Again, 50 pages to go, maybe one of the characters will pull out a Thompson sub-machine gun and slaughter the whole lot.  I've got my fingers crossed.  (One of those books where 2/3 of the sentences are in the subjunctive.)

SonicMan46

Well, getting back to some musical bios, first up:

Johann Sebastian Bach - The Learned Musician (2000) by Christoph Wolff - just through the first 100 pages and his marriage to wife #1 - quite DETAILED!  But enjoying -  :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Scarpia on October 07, 2010, 09:28:51 AM
I've not finished the book, but I think I have to post now because this book is so boring I may never get the enthusiasm to read a book again.  "The Years" by Virginia Woolf. 

My lord, nothing, but nothing happens in this book.  I'm within 50 pages of the end, and the various characters seem to be at a party in which they are all rather annoyed with each other, and reminiscing about various monumental events, like having bumped into each other near Saint Paul's and having had lunch in a restaurant on the Strand, 20 years before. Again, 50 pages to go, maybe one of the characters will pull out a Thompson sub-machine gun and slaughter the whole lot.  I've got my fingers crossed.  (One of those books where 2/3 of the sentences are in the subjunctive.)

An update.  I read another 30 pages and there was some stunning action.  Someone looked out the window.  Hoping I'll finish it soon.

AndyD.

Charles Rosen the Classical Style

Rereading the part about Beethoven, especially the longish part about the Hammerklavier.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Bogey

Picked this up at the library today and really enjoying it....murder mystery genre with Virgil Flowers of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension  (Yo!  Dave!).  It is the second in the series, but reads fine without having read the first.  More here:

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Lightning-Virgil-Flowers-No/dp/B003NHR78A/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286758629&sr=8-1-fkmr0
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on October 10, 2010, 05:00:00 PM

Picked this up at the library today and really enjoying it....murder mystery genre with Virgil Flowers of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension  (Yo!  Dave!).  It is the second in the series, but reads fine without having read the first.  More here:

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Lightning-Virgil-Flowers-No/dp/B003NHR78A/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286758629&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Hell, yeah. Me and Sandford go way back. My wife Roz has kept up with him whereas I stopped reading for no good reason years back. Check out his Lucas Davenport PREY books. Virgil Flowers is a spin-off character.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on October 10, 2010, 05:50:34 PM
Hell, yeah. Me and Sandford go way back. My wife Roz has kept up with him whereas I stopped reading for no good reason years back. Check out his Lucas Davenport PREY books. Virgil Flowers is a spin-off character.

We'll do.  Already 50+ pages in with a bit more time to read tonight.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

greg

I'm going to start on this sometime:

(this is the novel where the anime and manga were derived from)
Interestingly, the author happened to be a NEET who wrote this and got famous, but sadly hasn't recovered yet and has been living off of the money he made for this book, while not really working on much else.

I just read the Preface which basically sums up the psychology of conspiracy theorists in 2 pages- I wish Rob Newman could read this!  :D

AndyD.

Quote from: Bogey on October 10, 2010, 06:00:55 PM
We'll do.  Already 50+ pages in with a bit more time to read tonight.

Eyes of Prey, Silent Prey. A really cool series, Davenport is an excellent character for that genre.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

karlhenning

Finished Fathers and Sons: The Autobiography of a Family by Alexander Waugh. And now . . . what should I finish reading? . . .

Florestan

Amos Oz--- A Tale of Love and Darkness

Excellent.

To think that it contains first hand information that Russian Communism is a Jewish creation. The author is clearly an anti-semite!  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

I look at this book every now and then. It's interesting read other people's perspectives on recordings.