What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Having finished Fathers and Sons, I've taken The Life of Evelyn Waugh: A Critical Biography back up where I had left it (around p.60, I think it was).

And it's good, too.

Brahmsian

Has anyone read The Cello Suites, by Eric Siblin yet?

The Cello Suites by Eric Siblin

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2010, 03:36:06 PM
Has anyone read The Cello Suites, by Eric Siblin yet?

The Cello Suites by Eric Siblin

Ray - this book indeed interests me - I probably now have 4 different recordings of these works w/ another on the way in the mail!  GOD - why?  But, let me (us) know if there is too much emphasis on Casals?  I'd like a more general discussion w/ a number of performers included - thanks.  Dave  :)

BTW, since JS Bach is under discussion, I'm continuing my reading of the 'added' book above - this is a rather long but excellent review of Bach's life (2/3 the way through) - musical works are mentioned but not emphasized - for those interested in JS daily activities then this is a great read; if you desire an in-depth analysis of his many works, then NOT a good choice -  :)

jlaurson

Continuing my Wodehouse trip, thanks to a dear friend's Birthday Gift of "Summer Lightning"

Cocktail Time
P.G. Wodehouse
[Everyman Wodehouse]

AndyD.

http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

MN Dave

Quote from: AndyD. on October 17, 2010, 03:25:16 PM

Coooo-ooool. Good?

It's okay so far. Reading this too. A little more EXtreme.

AndyD.

Quote from: MN Dave on October 17, 2010, 04:20:34 PM
It's okay so far. Reading this too. A little more EXtreme.

Oh got to know 'bout that one.

Re-reading the section on Beethoven in Charles Rosen's "The Classical Style".

My rockin' Metal wife:

MN Dave

Quote from: AndyD. on October 17, 2010, 04:24:18 PM
Oh got to know 'bout that one.

Not for the weak-stomached. I know Randy Chandler and his story kicks things off rather well. I soon will get to the other three.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Deadcore-4-Hardcore-Zombie-Novellas/dp/0982097980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287361722&sr=8-1

AndyD.

Quote from: MN Dave on October 17, 2010, 04:29:09 PM
Not for the weak-stomached. I know Randy Chandler and his story kicks things off rather well. I soon will get to the other three.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Deadcore-4-Hardcore-Zombie-Novellas/dp/0982097980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287361722&sr=8-1

I'm there, thanks!

My rockin' Metal wife:

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on October 13, 2010, 05:23:19 PM
Ray - this book indeed interests me - I probably now have 4 different recordings of these works w/ another on the way in the mail!  GOD - why?  But, let me (us) know if there is too much emphasis on Casals?  I'd like a more general discussion w/ a number of performers included - thanks.  Dave  :)

BTW, since JS Bach is under discussion, I'm continuing my reading of the 'added' book above - this is a rather long but excellent review of Bach's life (2/3 the way through) - musical works are mentioned but not emphasized - for those interested in JS daily activities then this is a great read; if you desire an in-depth analysis of his many works, then NOT a good choice -  :)

Speaking of Bach....I will try to break into those seminars this week, Dave. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Philoctetes

Some books on the history of Japan, and some books on math problems that I'll never understand.

Brahmsian

The Last of the Mohicans - by James Fenimore Cooper

I've always loved the 1992 movie, as I'm a huge Daniel Day-Lewis fan.  Yet in the movie, it wasn't Day-Lewis, but Wes Studi, who stole the show.  His performance as Magua was incredible.  How this guy didn't win or even get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, remains a mystery to me!

Wes Studi as Magua

Daverz

Quote from: Philoctetes on October 17, 2010, 07:18:43 PM
Some books on the history of Japan, and some books on math problems that I'll never understand.

Which books?  Both subjects are very interesting.

Daverz

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 18, 2010, 03:25:03 PM
The Last of the Mohicans - by James Fenimore Cooper

Do not read Mark Twain's essay on Cooper until you finish.  ;)

bwv 1080

Glantz is the foremost English-language scholar of the war in the east.  Recounts numerous large battles that have been largely forgotten (mostly because they were Soviet defeats) and the final liberation of Leningrad

Philoctetes

Quote from: Daverz on October 18, 2010, 03:59:47 PM
Which books?  Both subjects are very interesting.

Japan by Mikiso Hane
The Japanese by Robert Newman
Japan by Richard Tames

The Math Book by Clifford A. Pickover
The Mathematical Century by Piergiorgio Odifreddi

SonicMan46

Couple of weeks ago we visited our North Carolina Museum of History which had a travelling exhibit on George Washington from the Mt. Vernon museum - included the computerized reconstructions of George at three different periods in his life (young surveyor, Revolutionary War, and as President) - a recommendation if the exhibit comes near you or you visit his home in Virginia.

There was a small 'gift shop' devoted to GW and I picked up the book below - fascinating account of spying and espionage during the American Revolution, mainly on the side of the rebels - George was quite a part of starting what likely became the 'Secret Service' and other similar agencies in the USA government - an interesting read so far -  :D

SonicMan46

Boy - no posts for nearly a week and the last one my own - BTW, I was pretty astounded by the level & intensity of spying that went on during the American Revolution and on both sides!

Now - History of Texas Music, The (2008) by Gary Hartman - purchased on a visit to the Alamo gift shop on our recent visit to San Antonio - listening as I read (so will be posting in the non-classical listening thread) - mixed reviews from the Amazonians - at the moment I would probably do a 4/5* rating for the reasons stated there but just getting started!

Daverz

Travails of the 19th Century Russian agrarian nobility...oops, no, it's a book on Quantum Field Theory.  I wanted to know what this QFT that Henning keeps mentioning is.  And wouldn't you know that as soon as I get around to reading this, I find out there's a 2nd edition.