What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Thriller of many, many pages. So far, so good. This guy knows what he's doing.

Excellent thus far.

Brahmsian

Started reading this yesterday and could not put it down!  Read 70 pages.  This is a great book, especially for people who don't want to be bogged down by technical details, and are interested in just a plain old good story.  The book is kind of a well-balanced three part biography between Bach, Casals and Siblin, and their connection to the awe inspiring Cello Suites.

I highly recommend this for fans of Bach's music who may not have yet read any books on him yet.  Some of the Bach connoisseurs who own most recordings and have already read multiple books on Bach may not find anything new, but they may still be entertained by this book.

Siblin isn't an expert on classical music, which is actually what I love about this book.  Heck, he even has some facts messed up (one being Schubert calling the young Brahms the 'next one', the heir apparent to Beethoven).   :D  Yet, the cello suites changed his life and his passion for classical music developed.

The Cello Suites by Eric Siblin

karlhenning

Time: Its Origin, Its Enigma, Its History by Alexander Waugh (Evelyn's grandson); great fun indeed, and dashed informative.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 03, 2010, 08:50:06 AM
To continue the trend:

That shit cuts straight to the bone, but... I'm not depressed enough yet.

greg

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 05, 2010, 09:58:13 AM
That shit cuts straight to the bone, but... I'm not depressed enough yet.

That one actually sounds quite awesome...

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on November 05, 2010, 12:02:39 PM
That one actually sounds quite awesome...

Oh..?! It is, as are the O'Neill's.

greg

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 05, 2010, 12:24:54 PM
Oh..?! It is, as are the O'Neill's.
I read about the plot and the part about some mysterious messenger visiting him every now and then in the story sounds cool.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on November 05, 2010, 12:30:27 PM
I read about the plot and the part about some mysterious messenger visiting him every now and then in the story sounds cool.

I wager I'll be drunk by the end of the book.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

bwv 1080

Mars was an operation on the scale of Uranus (the Stalingrad offensive) and was meant to be a simultaneous Northern counterpart.  However the offensive was a total disaster for the Soviets who lost over 300,000 men and 1600 tanks in a few weeks of fighting

Toonces

I'm reading this and it's really good so far.  A different kind of book about preparing for the holidays. 

http://www.amazon.com/Tinsel-Search-Americas-Christmas-Present/dp/0547134657/ref=cm_pdp_books_itm_title_1

karlhenning

Just finished Waugh's Black Mischief.  No good reason why I'd never read it before, and my curiosity was irremediably piqued by Patey's critical biography. Wonderful and wicked, really essential Waugh.

bwv 1080

reading this in conjunction with the Leonard Susskind lectures on youtube

Scarpia

The Big Girls, Suzanne Moore.

Interesting, but not really outstanding.  Story revolves around a mentally disturbed woman held in prison for killing her own children, and the psychotherapist who is entrusted with counselling her, and who has significant problems of her own. 

Bogey

Cool book.  The first half or so reprints stories that were written about the Kid that were not researched, but built up his legend, including a dime store novel.  The second half takes a more historical slant.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

American Art and Architecture by Michael J. Lewis (2006) published by Thames & Hudson; short w/ plenty of color illustrations; the author is a Professor of Arts @ Williams College in MA - just picked this one up at the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington, NC on our recent beach trip; this is a re-hash for me and I've also been often disappointed in these offerings from this publisher (many are superficial and/or just written in a dry boring style) - however, this book is an enjoyable read - if you've not read much on this history or want a quick refresher course, then a recommendation -  :D

Bogey

Also due to bwv recent reads, I started this one as well: