What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: mn dave on February 05, 2011, 05:59:13 AM
Let me know how you like 'em.

Three chapters in.  This guy NAILED Lorre!  I could just imagine being there during their conversation.  The side characters are first rate as well and the time period and Hollywood setting are perfect for my tastes.  Did I say how well he nailed Lorre? ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The Diner

Quote from: Bogey on February 05, 2011, 07:47:59 AM
Three chapters in.  This guy NAILED Lorre!  I could just imagine being there during their conversation.  The side characters are first rate as well and the time period and Hollywood setting are perfect for my tastes.  Did I say how well he nailed Lorre? ;D

He was a professor of film. Died just recently unfortunately.

Scarpia

An amazing story called The Three Strangers.  From Thomas Hardy's collection "Wessex Tales."

[asin]0199538522[/asin]

Also in this collection.

[asin]0679601287[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Feanor on February 05, 2011, 06:46:32 AM
By the way, Florestan, I do agree with every single word you say in the paragraph above.

0:)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bogey

Quote from: mn dave on February 05, 2011, 05:59:13 AM
Let me know how you like 'em.

Finished up the Lorre Kaminsky one this morning.  What a fun ride.  His characters are so well done (the Greenstreet cameo was priceless!) and the settings are an absolute kick to visit.  I have another upstairs (which I believe features Stokowski!).  I went to a used book shop that I frequently haunt to look for some more of his books.  One of the guys there is a crime-fiction fan and enjoys zombie books as well. ;D  He had never heard os Kaminsky and they did not have any of his books on the shelf.  He is going to give him a try as well.  I may either start the Kaminsky book or give one of these two a try today:

[asin]0385340575[/asin] [asin]1605981354[/asin]

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The Diner

Looks like some good readin' there, Bill.

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

That top book is supposed to be the original scroll of On the Road by Jackyboy.

Florestan

Quote from: Bogey on February 06, 2011, 09:09:38 AM
[asin]1605981354[/asin]

Bill, could you please let me know what works by Chekhov, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin and Tolstoy are featured in this book? TIA.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bogey

Quote from: Florestan on February 07, 2011, 01:38:14 AM
Bill, could you please let me know what works by Chekhov, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin and Tolstoy are featured in this book? TIA.

Have to head to work, but will post this evening.

The Diner

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on February 07, 2011, 01:38:14 AM

Co-sign!

Bogey

Here you are gents.  I went with the Lee novel on the previous page, but may get to this after.  (Dave, have you read any of Lee's works?)

Chekhov
The Swedish Match
Sleepy
The Head-Gardener's Story
The Bet

Dostoevsky
Murder from Crime and Punishment

Gogol
The Overcoat

Pushkin
The Queen of Spades

Tolstoy
God Sees the Truth, but Waits
Too Dear

Florestan

The Diner

Quote from: Bogey on February 07, 2011, 04:53:09 PM
Here you are gents.  I went with the Lee novel on the previous page, but may get to this after.  (Dave, have you read any of Lee's works?)

I've read one of them and was entertained. That was a while back. A solid thriller.

Bogey

Quote from: mn dave on February 08, 2011, 03:44:44 AM
I've read one of them and was entertained. That was a while back. A solid thriller.

"entertained" is a good word for it.  The one I am reading is #14 in the series....but still holds up nicely without background of the others.

Brian

The Diner

Quote from: Bogey on February 08, 2011, 05:42:02 PM
"entertained" is a good word for it.  The one I am reading is #14 in the series....but still holds up nicely without background of the others.

Free e-pulp by the bucket-load is to be found. Now I'm reading Ed Lacy's ROOM TO SWING.  8)

Scarpia

The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells.   (Read it as a free Kindle download.  No, I don't have a Kindle, used the Kindle application for Windows).

A fascinating book.  Actually, I found the framing story (constructing the time machine and explaining it to his friends) more interesting than the events that the Time Traveler witnesses in the future (seeing the bizarre future of the human race)  but it was a very engaging story.  It was also fascinating that time as a fourth dimension had been discussed long before Einstein's theory showed that it was a physical necessity.

Opus106

Quote from: Scarpia on February 11, 2011, 06:29:11 AM
The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells.   (Read it as a free Kindle download.  No, I don't have a Kindle, used the Kindle application for Windows). 

Oh, didn't know about that. Although I don't like to read books on the computer, I think that app could come in handy in certain cases. Now I just need to check if Amazon sells e-books to buyers outside the US.

Oh, and thread duty: The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Regards,
Navneeth