What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

This should actually go in 'non classical purchases' thread, but since it is follow-up on discussion from last week I'll post it here. I've just placed an order for few crime pulps. Picked these:

A Touch of Death is 50s classic, great reviews and one of Dave's forumites recommends it too. The other one I bought purely on strength of title - Fade to Blonde, you can't really get more perfect than that, and together with cover painting (does it look more like Debbie Harry or Deborah Unger?) is so incredibly archetypal of the genre, that even if the actual story is no good I had to have it. It'll sit beautifully on the shelf. Third one is not from Hard Case Crime series but three novels by Mickey Spillane in one ("I, the Jury", "My Gun is Quick", "Vengeance is Mine!"). Spillane's Me, Hood (Ja, Bitanga in Serbian) was the very first crime novel I read as a kid (before the Chandlers and the Hammetts) and loved it. Later I've seen the TV series with Stacey Keach but although not bad just haven't had the visceral rawness of the writing. These will be my first chance to read him in English, can't wait! 

Drasko

And on topic, I'm finishing this:

Mn Dave

Quote from: Drasko on June 15, 2011, 08:35:56 AM
This should actually go in 'non classical purchases' thread, but since it is follow-up on discussion from last week I'll post it here. I've just placed an order for few crime pulps. Picked these:

A Touch of Death is 50s classic, great reviews and one of Dave's forumites recommends it too. The other one I bought purely on strength of title - Fade to Blonde, you can't really get more perfect than that, and together with cover painting (does it look more like Debbie Harry or Deborah Unger?) is so incredibly archetypal of the genre, that even if the actual story is no good I had to have it. It'll sit beautifully on the shelf. Third one is not from Hard Case Crime series but three novels by Mickey Spillane in one ("I, the Jury", "My Gun is Quick", "Vengeance is Mine!"). Spillane's Me, Hood (Ja, Bitanga in Serbian) was the very first crime novel I read as a kid (before the Chandlers and the Hammetts) and loved it. Later I've seen the TV series with Stacey Keach but although not bad just haven't had the visceral rawness of the writing. These will be my first chance to read him in English, can't wait!

Great, Drasko! Let us know how you like them.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2011, 12:51:53 AM
Kant's philosophy is exactly like the theory of differential equations: without concentration and pen & paper in hand, one cannot even begin to understand the definitions, let alone the whole thing.  ;D

OTOH, it is exactly unlike the theory of differential equations, in that without at least a basic knowledge of the history of philosophy before Kant, one cannot even begin to understand the definitions, let alone the whole thing.  ;D

Wise piece of advice. :)

He probably meant start off with Plato and slowly make your way through the whole history of philosophy up to Kant.   :D
You know, I think he did mention Plato, and I actually did end up reading a couple hundred pages of my "complete works of Plato book."
Arrggghh....  :-\  :D

Mn Dave

Oh, I'm reading this, by the way...
[asin]141762468X[/asin]

ibanezmonster

Not reading straight through, but working through the relevant material.

Perfectly written and thorough- just what I needed.  8)

These series of books have such a strange style that they need to be seen to be understood. It's one of those super-conversational style (like the opposite of a "dry textbook").
It's a little better if you want to read straight through, but not as good if you want a reference.

Bogey

Well, got a Kindle and immediately downloaded the Robert E. Howard's Omnibus of 99 stories.  Just finished the first of the boxing short stories, Alleys of Peril.  GREAT stuff.  Hong Kong waterfront, dark alleys at every turn, villain known as the White Tigress,valuable ruby up for grabs, boxing, and great dialogue.  Now I think I will jump to one of the detective stories next.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Well, another REH short gone.  Just took in Graveyard Rats....more of a horror story than a detective one.  If you liked the Willard rat movie of old, this story is for you.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I just suddenly had a bad feeling that Bill is going to post about each of the 99 stories! ;D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2011, 06:46:19 PM
I just suddenly had a bad feeling that Bill is going to post about each of the 99 stories! ;D

No....only the 93 or so that have not read. ;D

Bogey

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2011, 06:46:19 PM

Well, when I re-read The MS. Found at Saragossa, I'll post to recap each of the 66 days : )

not edward

Iain M. Banks' Surface Detail.

[asin]0316123412[/asin]

I've been of the opinion that Banks' work in the last decade has been rather weak, particularly in his non-sf work, which has for the most part been repeating itself with very little effect. I'm a lot happier with this book; a bit over half-way through this novel it feels like a major return to form, and his best book in a long time. Sure, there's nothing terribly original here (and much of it is elaboration of themes present in earlier books), but it's very well executed and superbly paced (at least in the 60% of the book that I've read), unlike the painfully slow development in Matter.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Bogey

Re: what are you currently reading?

is it any good?

Very.

DavidW

Bill I read that novel twice.  The first time I read it, I did so in one sitting!  I couldn't put it down... it was AWESOME. 8)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 26, 2011, 01:00:02 PM
Bill I read that novel twice.  The first time I read it, I did so in one sitting!  I couldn't put it down... it was AWESOME. 8)

My Kindle is allowing the first 4 or 5 chapters for preview.  I am about at the end of it so will buy when I hit that point for sure.  Seems so far like a great book/series to take me through the summer. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on June 26, 2011, 01:18:35 PM
My Kindle is allowing the first 4 or 5 chapters for preview.  I am about at the end of it so will buy when I hit that point for sure.  Seems so far like a great book/series to take me through the summer. :)

It is a great series... but not finished yet so just be ready for a long wait to see it through. :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 26, 2011, 02:05:57 PM
It is a great series... but not finished yet so just be ready for a long wait to see it through. :)

Finished up the preview....definitely hooked, but my friend tonight gave me this to read before we go to Boston:

Karl, we will be there the 24-27 of July and some in the first few days of August.