Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

COLD HAND IN MINE by Robert Aickman.

Of course it's good.

Mn Dave

.[asin]0679723234[/asin]
Of course it's good.

bwv 1080

just finished listening to this on CD after reading it a couple of years back.  Cannot say enough about how great this book is

Lethevich

I finished this one, which I loved - unfortunate that its unorthodox POV and approach will not garner much interest, but for anyone interested in a mixture of astute observations on the nature of music, performance, and sketches of musical and cultural life in mid-century Europe (especially England and Germany) from a non-musician "outsider", then it is a little gem. It's done a lot to make me deeply interested in historical recordings (which I didn't care about before) to hear with the knowledge of the character performing the music:

[asin]0907689361[/asin]
Amongst the valuble miscellaneous commentry in this one, there is considerable valuable material on Delius, Elgar and Bantock:

[asin]0907689191[/asin]
Covers a lot of ground, a good intro to Kahn's life, movings and ideas:

[asin]0789300990[/asin]
I like the style of this one and wish there were more like it - I lent it to a friend who doesn't care about classical and I was delighted to find (as I had dared to suspect) that she could enjoy it from a philosophical POV alone:

[asin]0907689159[/asin]
The title sums up whether you would care about this or not - if you do, then it's nourishingly detailed and with decent amount of illustrations (but not printed on seperate photo paper):

[asin]0801856221[/asin]

Slowly working my way through this and nearing the end - the composer is a remarkable character and the anecdotes the author provides are respectful but not blinkered:

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Nice to see Paul Rapoport there several times - I 'know' him as a reader, I befriended him on Facebook and I met him in person a day after the 'Gothic' performance...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

n__n I can't claim that it was anything other than coincidence that I checked those books after reading Opus Est: Six composers from Northern Europe, he just has similar tastes to me and has cornered the market somewhat ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lisztianwagner

After finishing to read Freud's "Beyond the principle of Pleasure" and "Wit and its Relation to the Unconscious", and Baudelaire's "Artificial Paradises"; now I think I'll start Nieztsche's "Die fröhliche Wissenschaft".

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 12, 2011, 01:21:08 PM
n__n I can't claim that it was anything other than coincidence that I checked those books after reading Opus Est: Six composers from Northern Europe, he just has similar tastes to me and has cornered the market somewhat ;D

Opus Est was a seminal book for me. I read it in 1980 (18/19 years old) and it really influenced my thinking about 20th-century art in general. It was nice to be able to say that to him.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mn Dave

Mn Dave

.[asin]0472034707[/asin]
Yes. Yes, we are.  8)

Grazioso

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 14, 2011, 08:49:43 AM
.[asin]030747450X[/asin]

What's he struggling for? Them ladies is half nekkid! :D
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Robert

I became aware of Paul Rapoport about 25 years ago in Fanfare magazine....I enjoyed his reviews....We seem to be on the same wavelength.  When I found out about his opus book I spent months trying to locate a copy.  I even spoke to Martin Anderson about trying to locate a copy.  He was not able to help me.  Finally I was able to locate a used copy on Amazon.   .....excellent...

Grazioso

No Name by Wilkie Collins:

Too early to tell how good it is, but I can say that Wilkie Collins wrote one of the coolest Victorian novels, The Woman in White, a huge hit "sensation novel" that made Collins rich and famous. Imagine a Victorian Hitchcock suspense thriller with an unusual heroine and an unforgettable villain:

Armadale and The Moonstone are quite good, too.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Grazioso on September 16, 2011, 11:33:05 AM

Look behind him!!!  :o

DavidW

Grazioso, I love The Woman in White and the Moonstone.  If No Name and Armadale are as good I suppose I should read those... so are they as good?" ;D

Daverz

Quote from: Grazioso on September 16, 2011, 11:33:05 AM

And they all look like Betty Page!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Robert on September 16, 2011, 11:35:43 AM
I became aware of Paul Rapoport about 25 years ago in Fanfare magazine....I enjoyed his reviews....We seem to be on the same wavelength.  When I found out about his opus book I spent months trying to locate a copy.  I even spoke to Martin Anderson about trying to locate a copy.  He was not able to help me.  Finally I was able to locate a used copy on Amazon.   .....excellent...

I am glad for the happy outcome! So you know Martin Anderson, too?

Grazioso

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 16, 2011, 12:03:32 PM
Look behind him!!!  :o

Who cares about the guy being eaten by panthers? There are half-nekkid women!

Quote from: Daverz on September 16, 2011, 04:37:04 PM
And they all look like Betty Page!

If I can get half an hour with four Betty Page lookalikes, you may then feed me to the panthers  :D

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2011, 02:18:20 PM
Grazioso, I love The Woman in White and the Moonstone.  If No Name and Armadale are as good I suppose I should read those... so are they as good?" ;D

Too early to tell on No Name, but of the other three I'd rank The Woman in White at the top, then Armadale, then The Moonstone.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Grazioso on September 16, 2011, 11:41:38 AM
Wilkie Collins

Have you read DROOD by Dan Simmons?

[asin]B003GAN3VE[/asin]