What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwinter

On my nook, first of a five-volume biography (not sure if I'll make it through, but good so far...)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Bogey

Quote from: jwinter on July 24, 2012, 01:00:47 PM
On my nook, first of a five-volume biography (not sure if I'll make it through, but good so far...)

What is your favorite Hemmi read, JW?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gold Knight

William L. Shirer--The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich

Gold Knight

Ataraxia

Good old Harry Harrison. Stainless Steel Rat anyone?

I've finished SAVAGES and anyone who likes a good crime novel should enjoy it.

Now I'm determined to finished this fine, and lengthy, Brahms bio by Swafford...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gold Knight on July 25, 2012, 07:32:53 PM
William L. Shirer--The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich

I should re-read that one.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jwinter

Quote from: karlhenning on Today at 08:23:59 AM >I should re-read that one. [ie Rise & Fall of the Third Reich]

It's a classic, although at this point there are literally millions of pages of historical documents out there that Shirer wouldn't have had access to.  But he was actually in 1930s Berlin, which certainly counts for something.

For a more up-to-date view, I can strongly recommend Richard J. Evans' 3 volume history of the period.  That may be a bit more than you want on such a grim topic, but it's quite readable.  Available on nooks, kindles, etc.

Quote from: Bogey on July 25, 2012, 05:15:51 PM
What is your favorite Hemmi read, JW?

The ones I go back to the most are The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and many of the short stories, but I enjoy most of Hemingway (well, perhaps not Death in the Afternoon -- I can only follow him so far when it comes to bullfighting).

Karl Henning

Quote from: jwinter on July 26, 2012, 05:42:27 AM
For a more up-to-date view, I can strongly recommend Richard J. Evans' 3 volume history of the period.  That may be a bit more than you want on such a grim topic, but it's quite readable.  Available on nooks, kindles, etc.

Thank you, indeed!  That sounds right up my street.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jwinter

Quote from: karlhenning on Today at 09:47:23 AM >Thank you, indeed!  That sounds right up my street.

It's a good read.  In the first volume, covering the years up until Hitler becomes Chancellor, Evans does as fine a job as I've ever run across of answering the ultimately unknowable question of how such a civilized nation could have ended up in such a horrifying state.  There is no simple answer, obviously, but he very nicely illuminates the complexities behind the question.

Fëanor

Quote from: jwinter on July 26, 2012, 05:55:44 AM
[Quote from: karlhenning on Today at 09:47:23 AM
>Thank you, indeed!  That sounds right up my street.

It's a good read.  In the first volume, covering the years up until Hitler becomes Chancellor, Evans does as fine a job as I've ever run across of answering the ultimately unknowable question of how such a civilized nation could have ended up in such a horrifying state.  There is no simple answer, obviously, but he very nicely illuminates the complexities behind the question.

Perhaps I'll read that one since the Nazi era interests me, especially the party's rise to power and the lead-up to the war.

Regarding the question of how a civilized nation could end up in such a state, I fear there are lessons to be learned that have not been learned. It seems that there are always those willing to exploit the ignorance, bigotry, and fear of populations to sized power opportunistically.  Especially if time are tough, populations seem willing to grasp at the straws of race, culture, and religion.  Tough times are hear and are likely to be around for awhile in the USA and Europe: this doesn't bode well.

I greatly fear, (as a neighbouring Canadian), the Americans are far more vulnerable to the fascist impulse they understand, and therein lies a huge risk.  In that regard, I a few months ago I read and appreciated ...

Chris Hedges: American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America

... wherein a Hedges posits a take over of the USA by religiously inspire social conservatives.  The parallels to pre-war Germany are eerie -- a wealthy & powerful elite willing to exploit populist ignorance & bigotry through social conservatism in order to suppress the Left (liberals).  This with the predictable, but not predicted, consequence that tyranny seizes control.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Fëanor on July 27, 2012, 04:20:25 PM
... wherein a Hedges posits a take over of the USA by religiously inspire social conservatives.  The parallels to pre-war Germany are eerie -- a wealthy & powerful elite willing to exploit populist ignorance & bigotry through social conservatism in order to suppress the Left (liberals).  This with the predictable, but not predicted, consequence that tyranny seizes control.

That is (interesting, but) genuine science-fiction. (And not very flattering, but let that go.)

Just won't happen. Neither the religious element of the US population, nor the "1 percent," are anywhere near so monolithic to "go there." And there's not going to be any burning of the Reichstag. The US (by the way) has a longer-established home Rule of Law than even Canada, let alone the hapless Weimar republic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Zizekian

Seeing a lot of discussion on here recently about the Bertie and Jeeves novels, I decided to return to Wodehouse:

Ataraxia

Along with me Brahms bio:

[asin]0679601082[/asin]

Ataraxia

Along with me Brahms bio and me poetry:
[asin]0812983580[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Fëanor on July 27, 2012, 04:20:25 PM
I greatly fear, (as a neighbouring Canadian), the Americans are far more vulnerable to the fascist impulse they understand, and therein lies a huge risk. 

With all due respect, this is as bigot and supercilious a remark as it gets.

First of all, please define "fascism".

Secondly, please show us in what respect the Americans come close to being vulnerable to the "fascism" you previously defined.

Thirdly, please show us in what respect the Canadians are immune to the "fascism" you previously defined.

TIA.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

On behalf of the people of the United States: thank you, Andrei!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Zizekian on July 28, 2012, 03:24:46 AM
Seeing a lot of discussion on here recently about the Bertie and Jeeves novels, I decided to return to Wodehouse:

(* has his valet pound the table *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on July 31, 2012, 05:54:12 AM
On behalf of the people of the United States: thank you, Andrei!

On behalf of the people of Romania, you're welcome, Karl:)

NB: I have my own reservations about "The American Way" and even plainly dislike some of its features --- but to accuse the Americans as being "far more vulnerable to fascism" (far more than who, I wonder?) seems to me an absurdity...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

In a curious coincidence, an old Wooster mate of mine is at a dance festival in Romania this week (or, these weeks), Andrei.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jwinter

Nice update on the subject since Gibbon...