What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Wow.....their book is three times as much as their cds. ;D

I hope you bought it on Amazon because now there will be some type of Apocalyptic zombie book in the section Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought  :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ataraxia

Quote from: Bogey on September 11, 2012, 06:03:20 PM
Wow.....their book is three times as much as their cds. ;D

I hope you bought it on Amazon because now there will be some type of Apocalyptic zombie book in the section Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought  :D

Haha! :)

Gold Knight

Orlando Figes--A People' s Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924

eyeresist

Quote from: Bogey on September 11, 2012, 06:03:20 PMWow.....their book is three times as much as their cds. ;D

:D

I am the very model of a modern intellectual....

Never had much of an attention span, but it's getting worse. Interrupted reading the architectural history of the State Library of New South Wales (essential research), in order to read the commentary on my new King James Bible.

[asin]0199535949[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on September 13, 2012, 07:33:51 PM

[asin]0199535949[/asin]

I may have to grab that one as it has the Apocrypha.  I may get the Kindle edition for $5.   My wife got me this for commentary a while back:

Huge, but valuable.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

eyeresist

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2012, 07:43:49 PMI may have to grab that one as it has the Apocrypha.  I may get the Kindle edition for $5.   My wife got me this for commentary a while back:

Huge, but valuable.

Wow, that looks pretty comprehensive.

Reviews of the Kindle version of Oxford's James bible have been fairly scathing, I should warn you.

EDIT: I'm also thinking of getting the Anglican "Book of Common Prayer", which apparently is an important phrase-making source in English literature ('In the midst of life we are in death, et cetera'). Currently finding it a bit hard to sift out copies of the actual book from various monographs and commentaries.

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on September 13, 2012, 08:31:53 PM

Reviews of the Kindle version of Oxford's James bible have been fairly scathing, I should warn you.

Thanks for the heads up.  It took me quite a bit of time to find a decent one last time where navigation was not a huge issue,so purchased this one:

May have to go hard copy on the other one.

Wakefield

Quote from: Drasko on September 08, 2012, 10:06:17 AM
... Most interesting is that publisher changed the title to Katarina (Catherine), probably thinking that Northanger Abbey is too tongue breaking and not catchy enough, though later publications of the same translation reverted to original title.

Even more eye-catching is the transliteration of the name of Jane Austen.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Drasko

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on September 15, 2012, 12:52:44 AM
Even more eye-catching is the transliteration of the name of Jane Austen.  :)

To Serbian readers it wouldn't be as it is standard practice to transliterate foreign names, toponyms and whatnot. Slightly eye-catching would be that the more usual transliteration of Austen is actually Ostin. Transliterations are not always very consistent.

Anyhow, finished that one, was very enjoyable. I was thinking picking up some more Austen in original this time. So if I may ask what are fellow forumites favorite Austen novels? 

Currently reading Onegin, also in Serbian translation.

DavidW

Quote from: Drasko on September 15, 2012, 06:15:14 AM
So if I may ask what are fellow forumites favorite Austen novels? 

Northanger Abbey for me.

Bogey

CaughtintheGaze

Have to put my other readings on hold for this:

Political and Social Essays by Louisa McCord

Drasko

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2012, 02:54:07 PM
Northanger Abbey for me.
Quote from: Bogey on September 15, 2012, 09:24:40 PM
Persuasion.

I quite liked Northanger Abbey, very nice touch for switching between parody and romance, and Catherine Morland is wonderfully written character.

I will be probably getting next either Persuasion or S&S.

Florestan

Quote from: Drasko on September 08, 2012, 10:06:17 AM

Is it customary for Serbian books to be printed in Latin alphabet? AFAIK the official script is a variant of Cyrillic.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Geo Dude

Sergeant Rock

Neal Stephenson Cryptonomicon.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ataraxia

Viking fiction.
[asin]0345535073[/asin]

Drasko

Quote from: Florestan on September 18, 2012, 12:37:31 AM
Is it customary for Serbian books to be printed in Latin alphabet? AFAIK the official script is a variant of Cyrillic.

Yes, it is. Cyrillic is the official script but Serbian is I believe the only European language with active digraphia: in everyday use Cyrillic and Latin alphabet are in equal use (or even these days it seems that Latin alphabet is almost prevailing).

QuoteStandard Serbian language uses both Cyrillic (ћирилица / ćirilica) and Latin script (latinica / латиница).

Although Serbian language authorities have recognized the official status for both scripts in contemporary standard Serbian language for more than half of a century now, due to historical reasons, Cyrillic was made the official script of Serbia's administration by the 2006 Constitution. However, the law does not regulate scripts in standard language, or standard language itself by any means, leaving the choice of script as a matter of personal preference and to the free will in all aspects of life (publishing, media, trade and commerce, etc.), except in government paperwork production and in official written communication with state officials which have to be in Cyrillic. Even in official government documents this constitutional requirement is rarely enforced. Serbian is a rare example of synchronic digraphia, a situation where all literate members of a society have two interchangeable writing systems available to them. An example of diagraphia is the media in Serbia. The public broadcaster, Radio Television of Serbia, predominantly uses the Cyrillic script while the privately run broadcasters, like RTV Pink, predominantly uses the Latin script.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on September 18, 2012, 08:56:16 AM
Viking fiction.
[asin]0345535073[/asin]

that looks stinkin' cool, Dave.....watcha think so far?

Ataraxia

Quote from: Bogey on September 18, 2012, 04:03:13 PM
that looks stinkin' cool, Dave.....watcha think so far?

I think it's stinkin' cool. :)