What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold Knight

Ray Bradbury--A Pleasure To Burn: Fahrenheit 451 Stories

Florestan

Quote from: Drasko on September 18, 2012, 02:22:06 PM
Yes, it is. Cyrillic is the official script but Serbian is I believe the only European language with active digraphia: in everyday use Cyrillic and Latin alphabet are in equal use (or even these days it seems that Latin alphabet is almost prevailing).

Although Serbian language authorities have recognized the official status for both scripts in contemporary standard Serbian language for more than half of a century now, due to historical reasons, Cyrillic was made the official script of Serbia's administration by the 2006 Constitution. However, the law does not regulate scripts in standard language, or standard language itself by any means, leaving the choice of script as a matter of personal preference and to the free will in all aspects of life (publishing, media, trade and commerce, etc.), except in government paperwork production and in official written communication with state officials which have to be in Cyrillic. Even in official government documents this constitutional requirement is rarely enforced. Serbian is a rare example of synchronic digraphia, a situation where all literate members of a society have two interchangeable writing systems available to them. An example of diagraphia is the media in Serbia. The public broadcaster, Radio Television of Serbia, predominantly uses the Cyrillic script while the privately run broadcasters, like RTV Pink, predominantly uses the Latin script.
Thanks for the explanation. Is this digraphia also extended to school handbooks? I mean, is it possible for a kid to have a Latin-script mathematics handbook and a Cyrillic-script history handbook?

This digraphia is rather peculiar. Do you think it will last forever or some day a definitive choice will be made?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Drasko

Quote from: Florestan on September 19, 2012, 12:13:31 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Is this digraphia also extended to school handbooks? I mean, is it possible for a kid to have a Latin-script mathematics handbook and a Cyrillic-script history handbook?

This digraphia is rather peculiar. Do you think it will last forever or some day a definitive choice will be made?

Honestly can't remember about schoolbooks, I do remember that some of my books for university were in Cyrillic some in Latin.

Don't think it would ever be regulated in any definitive manner.

If anything there might be a fear that Cyrillic might become archaic and obsolete at some point in future, because Latin alphabet in todays world just gets more and more convenient.

Opus106

Quote from: Drasko on September 15, 2012, 06:15:14 AM
Anyhow, finished that one, was very enjoyable. I was thinking picking up some more Austen in original this time. So if I may ask what are fellow forumites favorite Austen novels?       

This might come in handy in your exploration of her oeuvre.
http://thebrowser.com/interviews/patricia-meyer-spacks-on-jane-austen?print

(Spacks! :o)
Regards,
Navneeth

Florestan

The only Faulkner I've read yet is Absalom, Absalom! and I found it a page turner from start till end. Maybe it's high time I tackle his trilogy?  ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Drasko on September 19, 2012, 08:42:58 AM
If anything there might be a fear that Cyrillic might become archaic and obsolete at some point in future, because Latin alphabet in todays world just gets more and more convenient.
That would indeed be a cultural loss but since, judging from outside, the Serbs are rather attached to their traditions perhaps it is not to be feared much. Am I wrong though?

Corey

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2012, 06:18:00 AM
That would indeed be a cultural loss but since, judging from outside, the Serbs are rather attached to their traditions perhaps it is not to be feared much. Am I wrong though?

They don't use Arabic script so much these days (do they?)

Florestan

Quote from: Corey on September 20, 2012, 07:07:24 AM
They don't use Arabic script so much these days (do they?)

They never used Arabic script. I'm really puzzled.  ???

Florestan

Quote from: sanantonio on September 20, 2012, 08:24:50 AM
If you are somewhat new to Faulkner (having read just one book) I might not suggest you go next to the Snopes books next, but steer you instead to maybe an earlier book, e.g. Light In August, As I Lay Dying, Sanctuary, or Sartoris.  This is not because I do not consider the Snopes books some of his best writing, but mainly because I think the trilogy is best appreciated in direct proportion to the more Faulkner one has read.

Thank you for your suggestion. It so happens that I already own the trilogy so it would be easier and cheaper for me to read them.  :)

Drasko

Quote from: Opus106 on September 20, 2012, 05:22:20 AM
This might come in handy in your exploration of her oeuvre.
http://thebrowser.com/interviews/patricia-meyer-spacks-on-jane-austen?print

(Spacks! :o)

Thanks, that was interesting read. Some of her thoughts (especially on S&S) are actually quite similar to mine, though obviously with incomparable level of knowledge on the matter.

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2012, 06:18:00 AM

Very attached, on words definitely, but unfortunately when it comes down to actually do something about something, bit less so I'm afraid.

Corey

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2012, 07:14:42 AM
They never used Arabic script. I'm really puzzled.  ???

I'm probably just confused. I got the impression that under the Ottomans they used Arabic script, when it's probably just that Arabic was the preferred language.

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Scarpia

AndyD.

Beatlesongs by William J. Dowlding
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Corey

Scarpia

Quote from: Corey on September 24, 2012, 07:45:25 PM

Looks exactly like my old copy. 

Just finished "Our Mutual Friend," Dickens.

Corey

Quote from: Scarpia on September 24, 2012, 08:05:41 PM
Looks exactly like my old copy. 

Just finished "Our Mutual Friend," Dickens.

I'm reading a later edition, but I like the cover I posted more :)

ibanezmonster

I was at first skeptical, even despite the great reviews (and generally great reputation of the series) that a manga presentation would be effective in teaching math, but it turned out to be a great intro to Linear Algebra.

The explanations were pretty effective and the concepts well explained. It starts with preliminary stuff (functions, matrices, determinants, etc.) and then tackles two main topics: Linear Transformations and Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors.

I'll still need to find some more practice problems, though...

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth