What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on November 23, 2012, 02:15:38 AM
In the past - under Vlad III - Romania had a strict migratory policy to stop "illegal immigration" of its oriental neighbors.

Except that it was not "illegal immigration" but plain military invasion. ;D :D ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Fëanor

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2012, 11:56:07 PM
I thought you meant something similar to the US immigration: non-Europeans coming to, and settling in, EU (or non-EU European countries). In this respect I disfavor unrestricted immigration, on the contrary, I should like to see a more cautionary policy and a toughening of the rules especially in the case of Muslim immigrants: anyone found to be involved in Islamist propaganda or to be member of a terrorist group (even if he did nothing more) should immediately be deported in his country of origin and never again allowed to set foot in EU.
Here in Canada we have a quite a "points-base" immigration system where potential new comers, (except close family members), must have qualifications.  As I understand, the U.S. system is more of a quota system; Canada has about 3x higher annual immigrant per capita than the USA.

Canada is today more ethnically diverse than most European countries, (I believe). But I can understand that many European natives would object to new comers who have no intention of accommodating to local culture.

Florestan

Quote from: Fëanor on November 23, 2012, 04:52:08 AM
Here in Canada we have a quite a "points-base" immigration system where potential new comers, (except close family members), must have qualifications.

I know. There are many, many Romanian immigrants in Canada and no less than 3 or 4 families amongst my own acquaintances. It seems to me a reasonable system.

As I understand, the U.S. system is more of a quota system

Do you refer to the visa lottery?

Canada is today more ethnically diverse than most European countries, (I believe). But I can understand that many European natives would object to new comers who have no intention of accommodating to local culture.

Well, exactly. IMO anyone coming to Europe, and EU in particular, looking for a better life for he and his family should be welcomed, treated according to the laws of hospitality and, as far as possible, helped with integration, including allowing him to practice his religion undisturbed --- on one simple, common-sense and reasonable condition: that they in turn try their best to accommodate to the society that has received them and in any case not try to impose their religion or way of life on it.

Out of curiosity: in the specific case of your country would you favor giving up any qualifications and admitting unrestricted immigration?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bogey

Two on the table:

My wife got me this back in the 90's and just starting it.   ;D

And this one from 1973 (which I will read in chunks):

I always enjoyed catching interviews with Schlesinger.  I had to read his book back in my college days (late 80's) and remember actually finding it one of the VERY few books that grabbed my attention.  It will be fun to revisit it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Fëanor

Quote from: Florestan on November 23, 2012, 05:55:25 AM...

Out of curiosity: in the specific case of your country would you favor giving up any qualifications and admitting unrestricted immigration?

Certainly not, but then I'm not a Libertarian!  ;)

Karl Henning

Okay, I've got a new Nook!  Bill, it's high time I resumed (and finished) David Copperfield! The problem was mostly that I had somehow downloaded an incomplete e-book . . . but now I've brassed up and bought the $2.99 Nook edition of the complete Dickens . . . .

Must see if the MBTA cannot be made to pay for the replacement.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on November 25, 2012, 10:55:03 AM
Okay, I've got a new Nook!  Bill, it's high time I resumed (and finished) David Copperfield! The problem was mostly that I had somehow downloaded an incomplete e-book . . . but now I've brassed up and bought the $2.99 Nook edition of the complete Dickens . . . .

Must see if the MBTA cannot be made to pay for the replacement.

Enjoy the read, Karl.  Wonderful book.  I may have to drop everything and pick up some of his Christmas stories! :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

And back to Thomas Traddles for my avatar, Karl.

Karl Henning

I live for the exquisite moments in Dickens, like David going back home and having that brief time just the three of them, his mother, Peggotty & he. An oasis of Murdstonelessness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on November 25, 2012, 02:38:51 PM
I live for the exquisite moments in Dickens, like David going back home and having that brief time just the three of them, his mother, Peggotty & he. An oasis of Murdstonelessness.

Indeed.  I just finished it this past summer and could very easily pick it up again now.  My goal is still to have all his works read before I kick off. 

Bogey

DavidW

For those that use ereaders, kindle, nook, apple and google are having Cybermonday sales.  A few thousand ebooks are 80% off today.  As a horror fan I was pleased to see that most of Robert McCammon's novels are $2.  On the more literary side Michael Chabon is heavily featured on the discounts.

CaughtintheGaze

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on November 25, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Indeed.  I just finished it this past summer and could very easily pick it up again now.  My goal is still to have all his works read before I kick off.

I've plugged right back into it, Bill, as if I'd set it down the day prior, rather than half a year ago.

Come to think of it, I feel the same sort of narrative "familiarity" with our Cato's work . . . which I need to load onto the new Nook . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Daniel Yergin's The Quest, surveying all things energy, from an oil analyst's point of view.  The first section, which I am still reading, is like an extension of The Prize from the First Gulf War to the present, filled with a fine, brief summary of the oil industry in Central Asia.  (A couple times Yergin's writing reads just like Steve Levine's The Oil and the Glory, and sure enough that book is cited.)  I got the book for the sections on other forms of energy and conservation, though, and those should be quite good as well.  Well written and researched, and a really quick read.  Just right for the holiday season.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

Ha:
Author of THE PRIZE
Winner of THE PULITZER PRIZE

I would be interesting to read your summarization of his views on alternative energy,when you've read the thing, Todd.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: Philo on November 28, 2012, 04:14:09 AM
After next week:

Great! Bolaño was a giant; he didn't merely make up stories, but he created entire universes. In Spanish, my favorite novelist from the second half of the XXth Century.... He also was an extraordinarily lucid essayist and a very good writer of short stories.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Brian

Quote from: Philo on November 28, 2012, 04:14:09 AM
After next week:

"One of the giants of the post-Marquez era"? But the post-Marquez era hasn't begun yet. And Bolano was actively publishing from 1993-2003, during which time Marquez published 5 books and after which Marquez added his last. You could say that Marquez's high point, his best work, was 1965-1985, but that's the only way that saying his era is over makes much sense.

CaughtintheGaze

Gordon: Thanks for that.
Brian: They're talking about 100 Years.

Wakefield

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2012, 12:09:18 PM
"One of the giants of the post-Marquez era"? But the post-Marquez era hasn't begun yet. And Bolano was actively publishing from 1993-2003, during which time Marquez published 5 books and after which Marquez added his last. You could say that Marquez's high point, his best work, was 1965-1985, but that's the only way that saying his era is over makes much sense.
Who knows. I don't totally disagree with that statement. Yes, Jimmy Page is alive, but now guitar players live the-post Jimmy Page era, although Page is still alive. IMO, this  has something to do with the "sacred fire" and the peak of creativity of every great artist.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire