Previous topic - Next topic

CaughtintheGaze

Lake Swan

CaughtintheGaze

Starting next week:
History of Epic Poetry by Clark
Uncertain Shield by Posner
2666 by Bolano
Privileged and Confidential by Abner et. al.
Content Analysis by Krippendorff

SonicMan46

Well, I've not posted recently here but continue to read -   ;D

Now working on 3 books the last few weeks:

Darwin's Ghosts - The Secret History of Evolution (2012) by Rebecca Stott - liking the latter chapters the best (Lamarck, Cuvier, Chambers, Wallace and others); 4+ stars on Amazon (HERE) - I'd probably do 4* there.

Inventing Wine - A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures (2012) by Paul Lukacs - a just released Wine Spectator recommendation - only through the first two chapters (beginnings into the medieval era) but enjoying the read; well researched and written in a conversational style.

Printmaking - A Complete Guide to Materials & Processes (2009) by Beth Grabowski & Bill Fick - we've been collecting 'fine art' prints since the early 1970s (our walls are virtually filled w/ these & other media objects), and although I have a lot of books on art & printmaking, the latter are rather dated; much has changed in the materials used, the methods, and the introduction of computers and newer printing methods - SO, a refresher course for me - :)

kaergaard

This year's winner of the Nobelprice in Literature: Mo Yan WOW!. I have read his The Garlic Ballads and was captivated by his talent of taking me to places I have never been physically, but after reading him, feel as if I had spend my entire life in China. Mo Yan vaguely reminds me of Günter Grass, both great story tellers without tiresome 'Messages'. Mo entertains me, that's why I read books!

CaughtintheGaze

Finished my first semi-fun read. It wasn't all that fantastic. It didn't offer up anything all that new, and the author makes some rather wild claims. I do appreciate that the author was up front with his lack of expertise and that he was agenda-setting. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have at least a fair amount of knowledge about the Intelligence industry, as this book will likely lead you to make believe foolhardy things.

[asin]B007HWN6CS[/asin]

Lake Swan

Fëanor

Boning up for the movie which I'm going to see tonight with my family. We'll see the 3D, 48 fps version.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit

Gold Knight

Justus D. Doenecke--Nothing Less Than War: A New History Of America's Entry Into World War One

Bogey

Oy, Karl!  Just finished A Christmas Carol....many interpretations out there, but it doesn't get better than the source. 0:)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Opus106

Quote from: Bogey on December 16, 2012, 05:13:37 PM
Oy, Karl!  Just finished A Christmas Carol....many interpretations out there, but it doesn't get better than the source. 0:)

Many interpretations, Bill? ???
Regards,
Navneeth

Lake Swan

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on December 16, 2012, 05:13:37 PM

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2012, 11:40:15 PM
Many interpretations, Bill? ???

I expect, Nav, that what Bill has in mind is the wide variety of cinematic (and divers other dramatick) realiizations of the tale.  Some of which, I do shuddetr to contemplate ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 17, 2012, 04:44:18 AM
Or maybe this.

http://mises.org/daily/573
;D

Saints preserve us from the Greed is actually good, you know revisionists! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Oooh now that's a very interesting read, Soapy!

I wonder if anyone else has recommendations for cookbooks that are fairly "accessible" in terms of ingredients, preparations, and instructions, but with particularly tasty/exotic results? I'm currently making my way through Ruhlman's Twenty and Classic Turkish Cooking, but there's a heavy stress on recipes which take an afternoon or even an entire week to fully create...

Geo Dude

I may have mentioned this already but I'm working my way through the Transmetropolitan series.  It's a cyberpunk political comic series centered around a journalist based on Hunter S. Thompson, only living in the future and interacting with the politicians and people in that time period.  Definitely not the kind of comic you'd let your kids get their hands on, but the whole series thus far has made for a great read and some of the observations made have been quite prescient, though some scenarios hit close enough to home to be pretty scare.  The little touches are brilliant, too.  I love the idea of people freely smoking cigarettes because they can take an anti-cancer pill to prevent any problems associated with usage, for example.

bhodges

Christopher Hitchens: God is Not Great

[asin]0446697966[/asin]

--Bruce

Karl Henning

"An all-out attack on all aspects of religion." Sober and fair, then. Should sell well in the sizeable I already scorn anyone who ascribes to a religion market.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2012, 06:33:34 AM
"An all-out attack on all aspects of religion." Sober and fair, then. Should sell well in the sizeable I already scorn anyone who ascribes to a religion market.

Well, that market is certainly out there, but the book is interesting, in any case. I'm about 100 pages in.

--Bruce