What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on June 22, 2013, 01:30:50 AM
A book subject to perhaps the worst book review I've ever read:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1010&context=geographyfacpub

(The author's name of this moronic tripe should not be omitted: Robert Stoddard. Robert H. Stoddard, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588 (well, in 1988, at least).)

"The index is helpful" - they'll put that on the cover of the paperback.

CaughtintheGaze

Probably starting this next:

I wish they made more books like the last one that I read. I simply have a massive adoration for annotated bibliographies. So much good content compressed into usually a paragraph.

Bogey

Just finished this one last night.  Well done and a quick read.  I learned a number of  new things about Camelot as well as reviewing other events such as The Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis which I had just read about in the fantastic book The Presidents' Club.  The parallel component that follows Lee Harvey Oswald was probably one of the strongest parts of the book.  The assassination itself is only covered in the last part of the book, so if you are looking for just that event, then probably look elsewhere.  And on a final note, "conspiracy theorists" need not apply. 

Now starting this one:

The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jay F

Quote from: -abe- on June 14, 2013, 09:24:35 PM
About 11 months ago I read Russel Banks' latest novel: Lost Memory of Skin.  It was on display at a library and the interesting cover and author's name compelled me to pick it up. The only other work by Banks' I read was Rule of the Bone, and I had seen the film adaptation of The Sweet Hereafter.

Anyway, Lost Memory of Skin has to be one of the most surreal novels I've read. It's about a young man living in Florida who is a homeless registered sex offender and a genius sociology professor who takes interest in him. It's a literary novel with engaging prose and I found myself reading it like a page turner.

Recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Memory-Skin-Russell-Banks/dp/B00A1ACXG8/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371273691&sr=1-4

Thanks. That looks good, so I just ordered it.

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: Philo on June 23, 2013, 11:34:03 PM
Probably starting this next:

I wish they made more books like the last one that I read. I simply have a massive adoration for annotated bibliographies. So much good content compressed into usually a paragraph.

Replacing my Herzen spot with this (Herzen will come after, likely):

Parsifal

Quote from: sanantonio on June 24, 2013, 06:48:19 AM
In the last few months I have read about 7 novels by William Faulkner.  I decided to switch gears and have now started re-reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  I have said in the past this was one of my favorite books and it will interesting to see how it holds up.  so far so good, although I am amazed how much I have forgotten about the book.

[asin]0679728759[/asin]

Not my edition, but the same text.

Yuk!

Octave

I would certainly second the McCarthy, though his books are mostly ~10 years behind me now; I am due for another read.  I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read BLOOD MERIDIAN, but let me say that the "wedding dresses" came charging back through my mind just a couple weeks ago, sending a cold chill through me.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Parsifal

Quote from: sanantonio on June 26, 2013, 04:11:41 AM
Not for you?   Whom do you prefer?

I can't say it wasn't impressive, but so much graphic violence!

I think we've been over this ground before.  For American authors, Faulkner, Hawthorne, Atwood (Blind Assassin, Alias Grace) Toni Morrison

Parsifal

Quote from: sanantonio on June 26, 2013, 06:41:04 AM
Even among McCarthy fans, some do not care for Blood Meridian.   However, I like it.  As probably can be detected from my posts in this thread, Faulkner is a primary author for me.

Yes, Faulkner contains cultural violence, not eyeballs popping out of people's heads!  (groan, maybe I'll read B.M. again)

Bogey

My summer "presidential" reading continues:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Revisiting Ives's Essays Before a Sonata, with relish.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Beorn

The great Steinbeck. Haven't read him in a looong time. And this is the first time reading this novel:
[asin]0670033049[/asin]

Karl Henning

Zis is KAOS: Ve don't shush here!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

Revisiting that marvelous classic, "Rip van Winkle."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: MN Dave on July 02, 2013, 05:53:32 PM
The great Steinbeck. Haven't read him in a looong time. And this is the first time reading this novel:
[asin]0670033049[/asin]

One of the greatest novels of the 20th Century! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Beorn

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2013, 05:09:53 AM
One of the greatest novels of the 20th Century! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

I am enjoying it very much. What other Steinbeck do you like? I don't think I've read one I didn't.

Wakefield

Quote from: karlhenning on July 03, 2013, 03:52:52 AM
Thread Duty:

Revisiting that marvelous classic, "Rip van Winkle."

My first time with this story was on TV: Rip van Flintstone:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: MN Dave on July 03, 2013, 05:28:17 AM
I am enjoying it very much. What other Steinbeck do you like? I don't think I've read one I didn't.

The Winter of Our Discontent, The Grapes of Wrath
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on July 03, 2013, 05:31:26 AM
My first time with this story was on TV: Rip van Flintstone:)

I grew up watching The Flintstones, but I think I may somehow have missed that one!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Beorn

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2013, 05:31:48 AM
The Winter of Our Discontent, The Grapes of Wrath

I've read these:
Tortilla Flat (1935)
Of Mice and Men (1937)
The Grapes of Wrath (1939)
Travels with Charley: In Search of America (1962)
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights (1976)

Not as much as I thought. A long way to go to read them all!