What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

Quote from: MN Dave on July 02, 2013, 05:53:32 PM
The great Steinbeck. Haven't read him in a looong time. And this is the first time reading this novel:
[asin]0670033049[/asin]

Must revisit that one again -- I recall enjoying every bit of it, especially the parts concerning the character who is evil incarnate.  >:D

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Jay F on June 24, 2013, 06:47:23 AM
Thanks. That looks good, so I just ordered it.

Hope you enjoy it Jay!

Jaakko Keskinen

Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens. It is probably my favorite work from him, probably because it avoids many of his cliches: there are many morally grey characters, when usually dickens uses only about one or two per book and others are either saints or irredeemable villains. For example Hugh, the bastard son of Sir John Chester, does many bad deeds and probably is the character closest to commit a rape in Dickens novel... yet he still manages to be fairly tragic and even sympathetic character. He also does some good things and his redemption at the end of the book (even though still dying in typical dickens fashion) is heart-warming. The blind man, Stagg, gives pretty good reasoning for his villainy and merciless nature, Simon Tappertit is master study of a inferiority complex, Mr. Haredale though seems a stern man is pretty matshmallow-y inside. Even the murderer, Rudge sr., manages to evoke tiny bit of sympathy and tragic feeling. Of course there are some outright evil characters like Sir John Chester, who is probably the most evil character in the book... while at the sime time being probably the most polite! Many other memorable characters appear, from conniving Gashford to actual historic person, Sir George Gordon, the half-witted Barnaby Rudge, shrewish Miss Miggs and tyrannically stupid John Willet. Ironically this is probably Dickens's least-read novel, which is sad, because if you ask me, it doesn't deserve its neglect!

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Geo Dude

Mozart: A Life by Maynard Solomon.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on July 06, 2013, 12:56:17 PM
Dickens' sighting!  Ring that bell!

Ring it some more . . . not sure if I mentioned that my brother earned his Ph.D. in Dickens, and I just (finally!) asked him what his favorite is.  So now I've started reading The Pickwick Papers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jay F

I just finished reading this compelling little novel, which takes place in New York and suburban Westchester in AIDS-ridden 1987. Couldn't put it down.

[asin]0812982851[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2013, 09:19:42 AM
Ring it some more . . . not sure if I mentioned that my brother earned his Ph.D. in Dickens, and I just (finally!) asked him what his favorite is.  So now I've started reading The Pickwick Papers.

My favorite Dickens are, in order, (1) A Tale of Two Cities (up there among my favorite 10 novels ever!), (2) Nicholas Nickleby and (3) Oliver Twist; I have read David Copperfield too and I have yet to read The Pickwick Papers.

If hardpressed to choose 3 favorite English writers I would nominate, in order: (1) Joseph Conrad,, (2) Charles Dickens, (3) ex aequo, Byron. Wordsworth, Coleridge.

:D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2013, 09:19:42 AM

Put him on the map, I believe.  Great stuff.  I have read about half of them.  Still finishing Oliver Twist.  I am finding it much less engaging than David Copperfield and Tale of Two Cities from my last summer reads. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

JUST finished Oliver Twist.  Better toward the  end than the start and middle.  Based on Alberich's review, I will now crack open Barnaby Rudge.  I did not realize how long it is. It tilts over 600 pages.  One of his longer efforts?

lisa needs braces

I got halfway into The Pickwick Papers a few years back. I suppose life got in the way at the time, but that book is quite unlike anything else Dickens wrote in its lightheartedness and full blown comedic nature, and it's certainly a respectable choice for a Dickens favorite. Now, a novel like Dombey & Son on the other hand...

Bogey

Quote from: Florestan on July 07, 2013, 12:24:14 PM
My favorite Dickens are, in order, (1) A Tale of Two Cities (up there among my favorite 10 novels ever!), (2) Nicholas Nickleby and (3) Oliver Twist; I have read David Copperfield too and I have yet to read The Pickwick Papers.

We are close, very close in agreement.  However, I have not read yet half of his works.  I hope to read two books each year and hopefully be around to complete the library. :)

lisa needs braces

Check out The Woman in White by his friend Wilkie Collins in your journey. It's quite a page turner!

Bogey

Read that one about 22 years ago (just before I was married).  Indeed a wonderful read.

DavidW

Quote from: Alberich on July 06, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Ironically this is probably Dickens's least-read novel, which is sad, because if you ask me, it doesn't deserve its neglect!

I also really enjoyed it.  It has been along time but I seemed to recall that it was a bit more light hearted and comedic *in comparison to his other novels excepting the Pickwick Papers.* 

I think that Dombey and Son and/or Martin Chuzzlewit are read less frequently than Barnaby Rudge.

Florestan

Quote from: Bogey on July 08, 2013, 06:31:09 PM
We are close, very close in agreement.

I'm very glad to know.  8)

QuoteHowever, I have not read yet half of his works.  I hope to read two books each year and hopefully be around to complete the library. :)

Oh, I have no such ambition. As good a writer as he was, there are many more at least as good who are in the waiting line.  ;D

For instance, next week I'll be far from the madding crowd and going to immerse myself in these two:

Fernando Pessoa - Poetical Works
Fernando Pessoa - The Book of Disquiet

(both in Romanian translation)

8)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

That book of disquiet gives me an uneasy feeling . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2013, 10:42:14 AM
That book of disquiet gives me an uneasy feeling . . . .

I wonder how, I wonder why...

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on July 09, 2013, 09:37:25 AM
I also really enjoyed it.  It has been along time but I seemed to recall that it was a bit more light hearted and comedic *in comparison to his other novels excepting the Pickwick Papers.* 

I think that Dombey and Son and/or Martin Chuzzlewit are read less frequently than Barnaby Rudge.

I think us Yanks never quite forgave Dickens for Martin Chuzzlewit.

I would suggest Dombey and Son is Dicken's best novel, followed by Hard Times.

Karl Henning

But what a great name, Chuzzlewit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA