What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Ibsen's play John Gabriel Borkman, very interesting.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

kishnevi

Quote from: Philo on April 11, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
I do believe there is a Guide for the Guide, but why are you reading it?

First, it has been long enough since I last read it that it has gotten pretty hazy in my mind.
Second, Maimonides covered this ground twice.  First in the Book One (of fourteen) of the Mishneh Torah, as part of Jewish religious law (halacha), and then again in the Guide, from the POV of philosophy.  There are some subtle differences, mostly of emphasis, and the contrast is interesting.

Octave

Which translation/edition of the Maimonides did you read, Jeffrey?  I have only spent time with the Shlomo Pines.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on April 13, 2014, 06:05:02 PM
Which translation/edition of the Maimonides did you read, Jeffrey?  I have only spent time with the Shlomo Pines.
Friedlander, I think.  It is downstairs at the moment--I mostly read it as I eat (feed soul and body at the same time).  The Dover paperback.  When I first read it, it was the Pires, but the bindings fell apart, and the Dover turned out to be cheaper and much better bound.

Brian

Quote from: Octave on April 13, 2014, 06:05:02 PMI have only spent time with the Shlomo Pines.
Shlomo Pines sounds like a Jewish retirement community.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2014, 01:56:49 PM
Shlomo Pines sounds like a Jewish retirement community.

I live in Pembroke Pines, not far from the big retirement community of Century Village (Red Buttons Place as it used to be advertised).

Friedlander made the first complete English translation;  Pines is the modern translator,  published by University of Chicago.

The subject is further complicated by the fact that Maimonides (Moses ben Maimon, or RAMBAM--RAbbi Moshe Ben Maimon) wrote the Guide in Arabic, and although a Hebrew translation was immediately made for European Jews and served as the standard text for the next thousand years,  it's the Arabic text which is authoritative, even though it's a major landmark in Jewish philosophy.

Wakefield

Jason Merkoski: Burning the Page: The eBook Revolution and the Future of Reading [Kindle Edition]

[asin]B00BEXP52K[/asin]

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Jay F

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2014, 11:00:04 AM

For maverick LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch, the body in the drainpipe at Mulholland Dam is more than another anonymous statistic.

I'm rereading Bosch in order. I'm up to Trunk Music. I started as a result of seeing the Amazon pilot, btw, Bill. I like it, and though I would never have thought to cast Titus Welliver, I like him a lot. Twenty-however many years ago, I pictured Richard Dreyfus, and he's stayed as my mental picture of Harry Bosch.

[asin]B000FC1MMS[/asin]

DavidW

Quote from: Jay F on April 14, 2014, 03:28:41 PM
I'm rereading Bosch in order. I'm up to Trunk Music. I started as a result of seeing the Amazon pilot, btw, Bill. I like it, and though I would never have thought to cast Titus Welliver, I like him a lot. Twenty-however many years ago, I pictured Richard Dreyfus, and he's stayed as my mental picture of Harry Bosch.

Want to know something?  I picture Bosch as looking like Harnoncourt just because all those pics make that conductor look so world weary!! ;D

Bogey

Ha!  Saw the pilot first so Titus Welliver works fine.  :D  Always tell my kiddos to read the book first.  Shame on me.  How does the series seem as a whole, Jay?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jay F

Quote from: Bogey on April 14, 2014, 05:05:09 PM
Ha!  Saw the pilot first so Titus Welliver works fine.  :D  Always tell my kiddos to read the book first.  Shame on me.  How does the series seem as a whole, Jay?

I like it a lot, Bill. I watched it a second time. It combined stories from two books, which I found slightly confusing, then quite amusing. I look forward to more episodes.

Philo

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 13, 2014, 05:48:14 PM
First, it has been long enough since I last read it that it has gotten pretty hazy in my mind.
Second, Maimonides covered this ground twice.  First in the Book One (of fourteen) of the Mishneh Torah, as part of Jewish religious law (halacha), and then again in the Guide, from the POV of philosophy.  There are some subtle differences, mostly of emphasis, and the contrast is interesting.

I guess what I mean is this of interest to your personal thought?

I'm still continuing my foray into the poetry of the frigid North.

bwv 1080

kishnevi

Ordered from Amazon MP  (need to beat the start of Florida sales tax on May 1)

essays by Donna Leon,  with a CD of Complesso Barocco performing music of Vivaldi (not sure what exact works are involved; I'm guessing isolated movements from the Four Seasons and other Greatest Hits)

because I liked the one book of his I read a couple of months ago ("Shakespeare's Pub")

And from Barnes and Noble, one online and one instore,  because I'm liking the first of the series (Midnight Riot aka Rivers of London),  entries 2 and 3 of the Peter Grant series from Ben Aaronovitch,  Moon over Soho and Whispers Underground.  H/T to Listener.

Ken B

The Long Firm by Jake Arnott, a novel about gay gangsters in London in 1964.

Brian

"The beer drinker's Bill Bryson"? I'll have to read that; it sounds terrific. Although it's also a contradiction: Bill Bryson is quite the beer drinker himself, as you'll know if you read The Lost Continent, which is mostly an account of getting wasted in various American cities and having unfriendly encounters with staircases.

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 10, 2014, 05:55:13 PM
The Guide for the Perplexed.

At first sight I thought of E. F. Schumacher...  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

stingo

Finished A Dance With Dragons. Now to wait for The Winds Of Winter...

mn dave

Quote from: stingo on April 22, 2014, 04:40:39 AM
Finished A Dance With Dragons. Now to wait for The Winds Of Winter...

Well done! But waiting sucks. :)

stingo

Quote from: mn dave on April 22, 2014, 05:37:07 AM
Well done! But waiting sucks. :)

I know, right? Actually I could read the chapters of it that have been released, but having read some 2k+ pages of the same story, it will be nice to read something else for a change of pace.