What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Started Benjamin Franklin's Bastard: A Novel by Sally Cabot. I picked this up in one of the monthly Kindle sales, and I'm glad I did. I'm about a fifth of the way done, and it seems rather like Downton Abbey - a soap opera with higher production values. Still, it's a good read so far and I am interested to see how it unfolds.

[asin]0062241923[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Philo on May 31, 2014, 11:05:33 PM
Marxist-Leninist policies

Id est, famine, massacres and terror!  ;D ;D ;D

I am not kidding, --- anyone advocating Marxist Leninist policies is a mass murderer for me!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

A recently published biography of Paul Valéry:

Very approachable and entertaining, giving insights into the life of a poet who, even if his star has faded slightly in the recent past, remains IMO one of the greats of 20th century French literature...

Brian

I'm beginning my absurdly ambitious summer project: a 3-4 month immersion in some pinnacles of Russian literature. The reading list, roughly in the order I plan to read them:

Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment
Chekhov, collected short stories
Sorokin, The Queue
Tolstoy, collected short stories
Dostoevsky, The Idiot
Pushkin, Eugene Onegin
Bely, Petersburg
Gogol, Dead Souls
Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita
Dostoevsky, Brothers Karamazov

I've read C&P, Brothers K, Eugene, and Petersburg before. The Idiot, and all the Chekhov, Sorokin, Tolstoy, Gogol, and Bulgakov, will be new to me.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on June 01, 2014, 11:41:11 AM

Quote from: Paul Valery
Politics is the art of preventing people from busying themselves with what is their own business.

The purpose of psychology is to give us a completely different idea of the things we know best.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2014, 11:56:10 AM
I'm beginning my absurdly ambitious summer project: a 3-4 month immersion in some pinnacles of Russian literature.

Stick with Dostoyevsky and let us know when you finish it...  ;D ;D ;D

Bogey

A Dickens' sighting!

Ring that bell, Karl!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2014, 12:39:47 PM
A Dickens' sighting!

Ring that bell, Karl!

Oliver Twist, anyone?

Bogey

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 12:41:05 PM
Oliver Twist, anyone?

Read that one last summer.  Found it decent.  However, much rather re-read David Copperfield or Nicholas Nickleby.  Your thoughts? 

I also started Barnaby Rudge a while back, but got sidetracked.  I need to go back to this one as I was enjoying it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Wakefield

Derek Parfit: Razones y personas

Spanish translation of Reasons and Persons.

It's a good translation (and quite expensive) , but I'm seriously considering the Kindle version of the original edition in English.

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2014, 12:48:32 PM
Read that one last summer.  Found it decent.  However, much rather re-read David Copperfield or Nicholas Nickleby.  Your thoughts? 

I remember reading Nicholas Nickleby sometimes (ie, many years) ago and finding it much, much better than either David Copperfield. or Oliver Twist].

It might be because of my mother and father adnotating this very book with their own handwriting. be it as it may, I cherish this Dickens book, which is old and weared, more than any other of my library...  ;D

I would re-read these three last novels anytime.

Anyway, I think Dickens is one of the greatest English writers ever, together with Joseph Conrad;D ;D ;D

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 01:16:30 PM
Anyway, I think Dickens is one of the greatest English writers ever, together with Joseph Conrad;D ;D ;D

Joseph Conrad! To me his name it's eternally tied to The Duel, not to his more important stories. 

I recall a Saturday morning almost 35 years ago, when my mother brought me from the market this novel (not from a store, but a street market).

It was so demonically absorbing that I read it, complete, that very same afternoon.

This is an important memory to me as my mother died almost 20 years ago in 1995, just 4 years older than me now.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Moonfish

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 01:16:30 PM
I remember reading Nicholas Nickleby sometimes (ie, many years) ago and finding it much, much better than either David Copperfield. or Oliver Twist].

It might be because of my mother and father adnotating this very book with their own handwriting. be it as it may, I cherish this Dickens book, which is old and weared, more than any other of my library...  ;D

I would re-read these three last novels anytime.

Methinks that if a Christian read only Dickens, one would read the only English testimony to Jesus Christ!

I must completely agree with you in terms of Dickens and Conrad (although I yet have to tackle Nicholas Nickleby).  It must be quite an experience to have your parents' notes scribbled throughout the novel?

What are your thoughts about Eliot?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on June 01, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
Joseph Conrad! To me his name it's eternally tied to The Duel, not to his more important stories. 
Try Lord Jim[/b, my friend, and you'll find out one of the best novels ever written in English! 

Brian

George Eliot! a.k.a. Mary Ann Evans

Florestan

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 11:19:34 AM

I am not kidding, --- anyone advocating Marxist Leninist policies is a mass murderer for me!
Nice to see the change Florestan!

>:D :laugh:

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 01:43:39 PM
Try Lord Jim[/b, my friend, and you'll find out one of the best novels ever written in English!
You should try Trollope Florestan. For you I suggest the political novels, the Palliser series.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 01:43:39 PM
The man's THIRD language! He didn't even learn English as a child, not until his twenties.

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2014, 11:19:34 AM

Amen!  Not to be forgotten: Maoist...not much difference, a variation on a theme: the body count disallows any kind of apologia.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)