What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2014, 08:26:25 AM
Got "As I Lay Dying" for $2.50!

Me too. I've got about 36 books price watched as of now.

It wouldn't surprise me the site was connected to camelcamelcamel. Since CCC (for some reason) is not allowed to track Kindle books, and eqreader has a Chrome widget similar to the camelizer.

On a related note, I started reading Lancelot by Walker Percy. This is a book I would not otherwise have known about, but saw it one of Amazon's sales. Liking it so far, but I am only a quarter of the way into it.

[asin]B004TLVNGQ[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 04, 2014, 07:34:48 AM
  Just read M.T. Anderson's "Feed", mostly on an airplane coming home from vacation.  I suppose it's dystopian sci-fi, but the weird thing about it is that it's so recognizable from what I was seeing around me in airports and on the plane (everyone constantly "plugged in" while being fed information coated in advertising).  It was creepy.  It's a fast read, and more valuable as a possible--and surprisingly convincing--vision of the near future rather than for any remarkable story (this is the author's intention, I believe).  I got it for $1 at a book store.  Recommended.

You must have looked like a primitive barbarian, a paper book in hand amongst all those supercivilized plugged-in people.  ;D :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Pessoa's Book of Disquiet - in a Dutch translation, of course. :)

Q

Note to myself: should visit Lisbon.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2014, 01:06:31 AM

Pessoa's Book of Disquiet - in a Dutch translation, of course. :)

Q

Note to myself: should visit Lisbon.

How do you like it?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Florestan on July 05, 2014, 01:12:38 AM
How do you like it?

Like it very much. Well deserving of its special status, I think.

Of course it is a certain specific type of book. No structure, no story line, just a continuous stream of observations, thoughts, memories, daydreams, and  theories about art, life and human nature by a brilliant social recluse.  What makes it special is that it is intellectually interesting, emotionally engaging and the poetic quality of the writing. The last quality makes a good translation indispensable.

My edition combines his diaries with several short essays. The whole book is pretty sizable.  But considering its nature it is perfect to put down and pick up where you left off at a later moment. Not recommended if you feel a bit down or are personally confromted by your purpose in life. Don't know if Pessoa's views on those matters will offer much consolation..... ::)

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2014, 09:12:23 AM

Of course it is a certain specific type of book. No structure, no story line, just a continuous stream of observations, thoughts, memories, daydreams, and  theories about art, life and human nature by a brilliant social recluse.  What makes it special is that it is intellectually interesting, emotionally engaging and the poetic quality of the writing. The last quality makes a good translation indispensable.

My edition combines his diaries with several short essays. The whole book is pretty sizable.  But considering its nature it is perfect to put down and pick up where you left off at a later moment. Not recommended if you feel a bit down or are personally confromted by your purpose in life. Don't know if Pessoa's views on those matters will offer much consolation..... ::)

It's a wonderful book, principally because of the heterogeneous nature pointed out by you. I read it several years ago, but these days I'm reading it again it because last Monday I bought a new translation available in Spanish (although the first one by Ángel Crespo is already superb). And it has been that stimulating as the first time. For some extra variety (maybe unnecessary), I have started at the same time a new reading of Anaïs Nin's diaries. I can say they do an incredible couple of artists by nature.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2014, 09:12:23 AM

Quote from: Gordo on July 05, 2014, 09:33:09 AM
It's a wonderful book, principally because of the heterogeneous nature pointed out by you. I read it several years ago, but these days I'm reading it again it because last Monday I bought a new translation available in Spanish (although the first one by Ángel Crespo is already superb). And it has been that stimulating as the first time. For some extra variety (maybe unnecessary), I have started at the same time a new reading of Anaïs Nin's diaries. I can say they do an incredible couple of artists by nature.

A fascinating book, indeed. Each time I open it randomly I find some interesting thought, or some striking poetic imagery.

His poetry is also fascinating. Of all his heteronims my favorite is Alberto Caeiro.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Florestan on July 05, 2014, 12:42:43 AM
You must have looked like a primitive barbarian, a paper book in hand amongst all those supercivilized plugged-in people.  ;D :D

Yeah ;D  I like a to take a real book on planes because all the "no electrical devices at this time stuff" drives me crazy!  However, the US airlines finally stopped hassling us about this.  I also had my kindle with Ken Auletta's "Googled", which is a few years old, but very good.

Right now I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" and a book of his essays "What the Dog Saw".   I love his prose.  Short, muscular sentences that are full of info yet really hop along nicely.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 05, 2014, 05:57:30 PM
  Yeah ;D  I like a to take a real book on planes because all the "no electrical devices at this time stuff" drives me crazy!  However, the US airlines finally stopped hassling us about this.  I also had my kindle with Ken Auletta's "Googled", which is a few years old, but very good.

Right now I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" and a book of his essays "What the Dog Saw".   I love his prose.  Short, muscular sentences that are full of info yet really hop along nicely.
Indeed. If only he actually understood everything he writes about.  :(
Still, I enjoy his demolition of the FBI profiler John Douglas a lot. I read Douglas's book when it first came out, and decided it was twaddle.

mn dave

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 02, 2014, 06:14:36 AM
these...
[asin]0812978153[/asin]

Finishing this off. I like it so much I'll probably read his others.

mn dave

Will dip into this as well. Highly recommended apparently.
[asin]1618730606[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 07, 2014, 11:20:15 AM

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 07, 2014, 11:20:15 AM
Rubicon by Holland

mn dave

Quote from: Ken B on July 07, 2014, 12:11:03 PM
Rubicon by Holland

I purchased something by him. I forget what. Maybe it's that one.

[It might be Persian Fire.]

Henk

Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2014, 08:26:25 AM
Got "As I Lay Dying" for $2.50!

On that note....

[asin]B00AM7E2DW[/asin]
[asin]B00IQ9JEWC[/asin]

That translation of Les Miserables is a recent one, so I'm pretty sure that price is an accident.  The OWC Three Musketeers series tends to run from $5 to $9 or so for each book, so I"m guessing that's an accident too.  Either way, I took advantage!

Thread duty:

Moonfish

Geo Dude,
If you like books on the Kindle there are plenty of great works in the Delphi Classics series. Very cheap and well formatted.
E.g. for Dumas:

[asin] B007YUYWQM[/asin]

or Hugo

[asin] B006H9WQDW[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 08, 2014, 10:33:46 AM
On that note....

[asin]B00AM7E2DW[/asin]
[asin]B00IQ9JEWC[/asin]

That translation of Les Miserables is a recent one, so I'm pretty sure that price is an accident.  The OWC Three Musketeers series tends to run from $5 to $9 or so for each book, so I"m guessing that's an accident too.  Either way, I took advantage!

Thread duty:

Oh dear. I have not read that Dumas so bought it on Kindle.  I cannot imagine rereading the Hugo. So, for now, I passed.

Thread
The End Of Empire
About Attila and the fall of Rome
C Kelly

Geo Dude

Quote from: Moonfish on July 08, 2014, 12:38:06 PM
Geo Dude,
If you like books on the Kindle there are plenty of great works in the Delphi Classics series. Very cheap and well formatted.

I've taken advantage of Delphi's sets several times when it comes to English language writers, but I tend to be a bit more picky when I'm hunting down something that has to be read in translation.  (Lord help the poor fellow who buys a $3 Kindle edition of Verne's novels in translation.)

Mookalafalas

I'm almost done with Michael Lewis's book, "Flashboys".  It reads like a novel. I haven't been able to put it down!

[asin]0393244660[/asin]
It's all good...