What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 08, 2014, 01:40:36 PM
I've taken advantage of Delphi's sets several times when it comes to English language writers, but I tend to be a bit more picky when I'm hunting down something that has to be read in translation.  (Lord help the poor fellow who buys a $3 Kindle edition of Verne's novels in translation.)

That is very true - the translations can be iffy at times.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

listener

Tom Holt   Expecting Someone Smaller
Ingolf, the youngest brother of Fasolt and Fafner escaped with the Ring and the Tarnhelm and used their powers to transform himself into a badger in rural England to evade the hunt by Alberich, Hagen and the others to obtain it for themselves.  Unfortunately he is run over and passes the Ring and Tarnhelm to the rather naïve driver who then is the object of the Nibelung's search.   Light summer fun.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

stingo

Finished The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell. I liked this second book in the Saxon Tales series better than the first (The Last Kingdom). Maybe it was getting to know the main character, Uhtred, more, or maybe the pacing was a bit better, but it was a more riveting read, especially at the end.

Started The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

[asin]B003XRELZM[/asin]

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Moonfish on July 08, 2014, 12:38:06 PM
Geo Dude,
If you like books on the Kindle there are plenty of great works in the Delphi Classics series. Very cheap and well formatted.
E.g. for Dumas:

[asin] B007YUYWQM[/asin]

or Hugo

[asin] B006H9WQDW[/asin]

Two greatest french authors of all time, to me at least! *pounds the table*
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on July 15, 2014, 07:02:53 AM
Two greatest french authors of all time, to me at least! *pounds the table*
Poppycock! Diderot's Encyclopédie puts him solely on the lead.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

stingo

Quote from: stingo on July 14, 2014, 05:11:53 PM
[asin]B003XRELZM[/asin]

I am given to understand that the US Kindle version of The Day Of The Triffids is abridged/censored. Would anyone happen to know if this is the case?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: North Star on July 15, 2014, 08:51:05 AM

I actually forgot to mention Voltaire, I really like to quote him when I'm drinking.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on July 15, 2014, 10:05:19 AM
I actually forgot to mention Voltaire, I really like to quote him when I'm drinking.
Cough cough Guy de Maupassant Cough

Karl Henning

Aye; Voltaire isn't half so entertaining when one has sobered up ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: karlhenning on July 15, 2014, 10:08:57 AM

Well, I can't say I didn't see that one coming.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Quote from: karlhenning on July 15, 2014, 10:08:57 AM

Except for "Candide"....    ;D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Dude, Camus is a Cognac, and wrote a book about nothing else than chatting over a Jenever glass..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

stingo

Quote from: stingo on July 15, 2014, 09:43:17 AM
I am given to understand that the US Kindle version of The Day Of The Triffids is abridged/censored. Would anyone happen to know if this is the case?

Discovered that the Amazon US Kindle version is the American version of the book which was abridged and censored. I've ordered a paperback from Amazon.co.uk which to the best of my knowledge seems to be the original UK version. (Apparently Kindle books are country specific.)

Daverz

Quote from: stingo on July 15, 2014, 03:48:40 PM
Discovered that the Amazon US Kindle version is the American version of the book which was abridged and censored. I've ordered a paperback from Amazon.co.uk which to the best of my knowledge seems to be the original UK version. (Apparently Kindle books are country specific.)

The missing parts are described here:

http://triffids.wuthering-heights.co.uk/versions.php

stingo

Thanks. Yes, that's how I found out definitively there were two versions. I've located where on my copy the edit was made in Chapter 1. So I've decided to hold off reading it til the original UK copy arrives.

Ken B

Quote from: stingo on July 15, 2014, 03:48:40 PM

??? :o ???

That's a staple of HS reading lists. Is the US version in schools bowdlerized?  >:(

stingo

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 05:32:49 PM
??? :o ???

That's a staple of HS reading lists. Is the US version in schools bowdlerized?  >:(

Daverz' link gives a play by play of what was cut. I understand the obscenities were removed as well from the American version.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on July 15, 2014, 08:51:05 AM

N'oublions son Neveu de Rameau que j'suis en train de lire en commémoration du 250ème anniversaire de la mort du célèbre compositeur dijonnais.  Moi, j'éprouve une fascination pour lui.