What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

I just finished Ken Auletta's "Googled" and am now reading

[asin]1416596585[/asin]
  This second is, so far, more fun than the first, although both are very good, IMO.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 18, 2014, 05:03:25 PM
I just finished Ken Auletta's "Googled" and am now reading

[asin]1416596585[/asin]
  This second is, so far, more fun than the first, although both are very good, IMO.
Don't be evil. That's our job.

stingo

Put Triffids on hold and am re-reading The Once and Future King by T. H. White (and really loving it so far).

[asin]B00AEDDSQG[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: stingo on July 19, 2014, 04:40:31 PM
Put Triffids on hold and am re-reading The Once and Future King by T. H. White (and really loving it so far).

[asin]B00AEDDSQG[/asin]
Lancelot's return from the Grail Quest is a passage that always made me, not precisely cry, but at least get very moisteyed and melancholy, in part because it is magnificently understated.
Thread duty
Bart D. Ehrman. How Jesus Became God.
Only three chapters in but not terribly impressed.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 19, 2014, 06:07:48 PM
Lancelot's return from the Grail Quest is a passage that always made me, not precisely cry, but at least get very moisteyed and melancholy, in part because it is magnificently understated.
Thread duty
Bart D. Ehrman. How Jesus Became God.
Only three chapters in but not terribly impressed.
It's his least impressive book. Apocalyptic Prophet is his best. On the same general topic as Became, Rubenstein has an excellent book of the same name (or very nearly). I recommend Shadow of the Sword if the origins of Islam interest you Jeffrey (pm me if you want some more detailed books on that.)

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on July 19, 2014, 06:42:19 PM
It's his least impressive book. Apocalyptic Prophet is his best. On the same general topic as Became, Rubenstein has an excellent book of the same name (or very nearly). I recommend Shadow of the Sword if the origins of Islam interest you Jeffrey (pm me if you want some more detailed books on that.)
Thanks, I just put a hold for one copy of Shadow at the local lubrary.

Henk

Reading Nietzsche and Foucault.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

stingo

Finished The Queen Of The Big Time by Adriana Trigiani. Not a book I'd've chosen given my druthers but I liked it well enough.

milk

I'm juggling several things:

The first chapter was surprisingly funny.

I just started this. It's fun so far but let's see if it keeps my interest.

So far I'm in suspense. But I haven't gotten very far yet. I'm betting this is going to keep me interested.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2014, 11:56:10 AM
I'm beginning my absurdly ambitious summer project: a 3-4 month immersion in some pinnacles of Russian literature. The reading list, roughly in the order I plan to read them:

Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment
Chekhov, collected short stories
Sorokin, The Queue
Tolstoy, collected short stories
Dostoevsky, The Idiot
Pushkin, Eugene Onegin
Platonov, Soul and Other Stories
Bely, Petersburg

Gogol, Dead Souls
Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
Platonov, The Foundation Pit
Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita
Dostoevsky, Brothers Karamazov
Updating on progress. Right now, Dead Souls is reminding me just how much I love Gogol, which is a lot.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on July 22, 2014, 04:21:59 PM
Updating on progress. Right now, Dead Souls is reminding me just how much I love Gogol, which is a lot.
That has been on my to read list for 25 years.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Brian on July 22, 2014, 04:21:59 PM

When you've read Brothers Karamazov do share how you feel about  it! It is extremely intriguing and rewarding book. I can never read the nose conversation near the end between two certain characters without laughing my ass off.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Of all Russian classics, Turgenyev gets the least attention and it's a pity because he is a very fine writer and a delicate and compassionate observer of human soul's pains and sorrows.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

Apart from Pushkin, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky I have never read that much russian classics (and with Tolstoy I never really finished the books that I started), so I really don't know Turgenyev. I consider reading some of his books but I often have difficulties getting started with a new author. What novel/s Turgenyev has that you would recommend for the first-timer?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on July 23, 2014, 03:44:53 AM
Apart from Pushkin, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky I have never read that much russian classics (and with Tolstoy I never really finished the books that I started), so I really don't know Turgenyev. I consider reading some of his books but I often have difficulties getting started with a new author. What novel/s Turgenyev has that you would recommend for the first-timer?

Fathers and Sons and A Nest of Gentlefolks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2014, 04:19:12 AM
Fathers and Sons and A Nest of Gentlefolks.
The opening chapter of Fathers is brilliant. So brilliant in fact that the rest of the book adds nothing, it's all there in the opening chapter. So my feeling is that this is one of the very best short stories, needlessly expanded. YMMV.

Jaakko Keskinen

Thanks, I'll see if I can find them in local library. At least I'll try.

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on July 23, 2014, 07:02:57 AM
The opening chapter of Fathers is brilliant. So brilliant in fact that the rest of the book adds nothing

I beg to differ.  :D

Brian

Quote from: Alberich on July 23, 2014, 03:02:13 AM
When you've read Brothers Karamazov do share how you feel about  it! It is extremely intriguing and rewarding book. I can never read the nose conversation near the end between two certain characters without laughing my ass off.

I loved Brothers Karamazov when I read it the first time, in fact my favorite novel ever, but that was in 2008, so a reread is badly needed.

Quote from: Alberich on July 23, 2014, 03:44:53 AM

Disregard Turgenev; read Gogol. Dead Souls and the big book o' glorious short stories. The Inspector General is one of the funniest plays ever written.

Artem

Brothers Karamazov is one of my least favourite books by Dostoyevsky, but, nonetheless, I think it is worth reading.