What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Brewski on August 16, 2014, 08:09:22 AM
Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities - Heavens, what a beautiful book. Not sure whether it's a novel, poetry, a group of stories, or something else, but the writing is incredibly imaginative. Wish I'd read this decades ago, but there you have it.

[asin]0156453800[/asin]

--Bruce
My problem is the reverse: I read this decades ago, and forget it. I liked it though.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on August 19, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
My problem is the reverse: I read this decades ago, and forget it. I liked it though.

Me too. I went through a Calvino phase in the mid-80s.  I don't remember anything about this book except the title. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 19, 2014, 07:46:21 PM
  Me too. I went through a Calvino phase in the mid-80s.  I don't remember anything about this book except the title.
I am flirting with reading Boswell's Hebrides. A good idea? (Never read any Boswell or Johnson.)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on August 19, 2014, 08:22:59 PM
I am flirting with reading Boswell's Hebrides. A good idea? (Never read any Boswell or Johnson.)

Good choice, really.  This was his "test run" for the big bio, but instead of focusing on Johnson's whole life, it is a trip the two of them took in Scotland.  The tone and style are the same, but it is a bit livelier and doesn't have some of the big slow spells that occurred when Boswell was writing about slower periods in Johnson's life and pursuits. 
It's all good...

Florestan

Ian McEwan - Sweet Tooth

One of McEwan's finest female characters, Serena Frome--"rhymes with plume," the author tells us in the opening line--is both clever and beautiful, a speed-reading lit geek and a math whiz, a 1970s version of the Harvard MBA types who launch life-changing Internet startups. But in the dark and troubled Cold War days in London, there were few options for bright young women. So when a mysterious lover recruits her for the British intelligence service, MI5, Serena throws herself body and soul into an undercover operation code-named Sweet Tooth. What unfolds is a mystery, a romance, and a dazzling display of literary workmanship.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

stingo

I have read and loved McEwan's Saturday. Should this ^^^ be the next step?

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 19, 2014, 10:23:09 PM
   Good choice, really.  This was his "test run" for the big bio, but instead of focusing on Johnson's whole life, it is a trip the two of them took in Scotland.  The tone and style are the same, but it is a bit livelier and doesn't have some of the big slow spells that occurred when Boswell was writing about slower periods in Johnson's life and pursuits.
Thanks.
I have a rec for you Al. The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. Pastiche 18th C picaresque, screamingly funny for the right sense of humour. Yours seems twisted just right for it.  8)

Karl Henning

Hey! Another fan of The Sot-Weed Factor!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on August 20, 2014, 01:17:02 PM
Thanks.
I have a rec for you Al. The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. Pastiche 18th C picaresque, screamingly funny for the right sense of humour. Yours seems twisted just right for it.  8)

thanks, ken, (and Karl :)) for the recommendation.  I know the name, and read "Lost in the Funhouse" years ago.  I'll keep an eye out. For funny 18th century, however, the originals are hard to beat--well, Fielding, anyway.  Tom Jones and Joseph Andrews are fantastic, IMHO.  Joseph Andrews is actually a parody of Samuel Richardson's goody-goody weird "Pamela". 

Thread duty: I'm reading this at the moment

[asin]0520043170[/asin]
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 20, 2014, 05:39:04 PM
thanks, ken, (and Karl :)) for the recommendation.  I know the name, and read "Lost in the Funhouse" years ago.  I'll keep an eye out. For funny 18th century, however, the originals are hard to beat--well, Fielding, anyway.  Tom Jones and Joseph Andrews are fantastic, IMHO.  Joseph Andrews is actually a parody of Samuel Richardson's goody-goody weird "Pamela". 

Thread duty: I'm reading this at the moment

[asin]0520043170[/asin]
TJ is my favourite novel in English. I have read quite a lot of that period actually, Smollett, Sterne, Dryden, Pope, etc. plus plays. they order these things much better in France.
SWF is the only Barth I could get through, but it's great.

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on August 20, 2014, 03:11:46 PM
Hey! Another fan of The Sot-Weed Factor!
Big time. Alas nothing else by Barth really did it for me.
I had a friend who disliked it because of the Newton section. That section is when I knew I loved it!  8)

Florestan

Quote from: stingo on August 20, 2014, 10:05:09 AM
I have read and loved McEwan's Saturday. Should this ^^^ be the next step?

Frankly, I don't know. I'm not a McEwan expert, besides that I've read only On Chesil Beach, which I also enjoyed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

stingo

Quote from: Florestan on August 21, 2014, 04:05:30 AM
Frankly, I don't know. I'm not a McEwan expert, besides that I've read only On Chesil Beach, which I also enjoyed.

Fair enough. McEwan seems to be one of those writers whose books are of consistently high quality, so I will just jump in wherever.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on August 20, 2014, 05:51:31 PM
TJ is my favourite novel in English.

I love it.  I still remember the time in Charlottesville when I read it first.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on August 20, 2014, 05:54:33 PM
Big time. Alas nothing else by Barth really did it for me.

I wasn't crazy about Giles Goat-Boy, and I've not sought out anything other.  I should definitely set to a re-read of the Sot-Weed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on August 21, 2014, 04:44:59 AM
I wasn't crazy about Giles Goat-Boy, and I've not sought out anything other.  I should definitely set to a re-read of the Sot-Weed.
I gave up on Giles part way through. The one about Scheherazade was readable.
I assume a recommendation of Tristram Shandy would be otiose?
I need to consider rereading Tom Jones ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on August 21, 2014, 06:42:57 PM
I gave up on Giles part way through. The one about Scheherazade was readable.
I assume a recommendation of Tristram Shandy would be otiose?
I need to consider rereading Tom Jones ...
Try Amelia instead.
There is also Anne Radcliffe:  I prefer The Italian,  but The Mysteries of Udolpho turns out to be excellent if you make it past the ubersentimental first portion (roughly the first quarter of the novel)

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 21, 2014, 07:02:19 PM
Try Amelia instead.
There is also Anne Radcliffe:  I prefer The Italian,  but The Mysteries of Udolpho turns out to be excellent if you make it past the ubersentimental first portion (roughly the first quarter of the novel)
I rather liked Udolpho too. I read Amelia, but wasn't wild about it. Of course I may have been hoping for TJ 2 and been disappointed thereby. It was a long time ago.

HIPster

Just started:
[asin]0307407969[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

lisa needs braces

Will get around to this one in a few years. I'm glad it's out.

I think the last major biography of LvB was the one by Lewis Lockwood, which I thoroughly enjoyed.