What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Now for some Verne and old Bill. Firstly, rarely-read Golden volcano which technically wasn't completely by Jules but some parts of it were written by his son. It certainly shows in the quality of the book (even if it still is pretty good read), compared to other Verne book now rereading: In search of the castaways, featuring my favorite Verne character of all time: Tom Ayrton. Yet I haven't read the mysterious island where not only Ayrton reappears but also captain Nemo!

As for Shakespeare I'm tackling one of his less esteemed plays, The two gentlemen of Verona. I think it is fine achievement, except of course the infamous part in the end where, in Hilary Spurling's words, "Valentine is so overcome [by Proteus' apology] that he promptly offers to hand over his beloved to the man who, not three minutes before, had meant to rape her." Of course the line "All that was mine in Silvia I give thee" can be interpreted differently as well.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on September 20, 2014, 07:23:14 PM
Now I wouldn't tweak most posters here, but but for you Al .... OK, all credit to Doyle for the lift.

:laugh:

Come on, Ken, it's not like I have a PhD in English, or am an English teacher or anything... :-[
It's all good...

Linus

Just finished Dostoyevsky's short story White Nights.

Not bad at all. It's baffling the many illusions we make up in order to save ourselves from disappointment and despair. Deliciously bitter and pathetic, this stuff.

Perhaps the ultimate "friendzone" novella, to use hip vernacular. 8)

Grade: ***--

(Is Dostoyevsky's overall tone always this high school-y, though?)

kishnevi

Quote from: Linus on September 21, 2014, 07:17:07 AM

Not bad at all. It's baffling the many illusions we make up in order to save ourselves from disappointment and despair. Deliciously bitter and pathetic, this stuff.

Paging Mr. Henning.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Linus on September 21, 2014, 07:17:07 AM

Oh, gosh . . . I'm not sure I'd call it "high-schooley" . . . the narrator is certainly older than that.  But there is a touching simplicity about which I found winning enough to compose a ballet after it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 21, 2014, 07:59:22 AM
Paging Mr. Henning.

Hah!

To address the question, though . . . most of Dostoyevsky is a good deal darker.  If you're ready to plunge headlong into the abyss, I suggest The Devils/The Possessed.  More corpses strewn about the stage at the end than in Hamlet.  (I should like to write an opera on that one . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2014, 09:47:11 AM
Oh, gosh . . . I'm not sure I'd call it "high-schooley" . . . the narrator is certainly older than that.  But there is a touching simplicity about which I found winning
I'll say! I found it devastating. 
It's all good...

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Georges Lebanc, per the publisher, is directed at 7-10 year-olds.  But like many a 'children's book' before it (eg: Wind in the Willows and Alice) it's adults who I think will appreciate it the most.  (or is that merely my excuse to read such exquisite works?).  Georges - as you may have guessed - is a park bench, a sentient one with a taste for adventure.  By turns comic, fantastic, touching and always visually and verbally clever and très français, this is a work that deserves broader readership and won't get it 'cause it's in French.  'Twould be tough to translate.  But even looking at the pictures would be a treat for anyone. 

ZauberdrachenNr.7

A scene from Georges Lebanc by Claude Ponti. Shown are the Rats Kmaninotts vacuuming-up the notes sung in the very early morning.  Without them, they die of silence.

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on September 21, 2014, 11:15:33 AM
A scene from Georges Lebanc by Claude Ponti. Shown are the Rats Kmaninotts vacuuming-up the notes sung in the very early morning.  Without them, they die of silence.
I assume you have watched A Cat in Paris.

Artem

Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2014, 09:49:34 AM
Hah!

To address the question, though . . . most of Dostoyevsky is a good deal darker.  If you're ready to plunge headlong into the abyss, I suggest The Devils/The Possessed.  More corpses strewn about the stage at the end than in Hamlet.  (I should like to write an opera on that one . . . .)
What do you think about the Idiot?

Linus

Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2014, 09:47:11 AM
Oh, gosh . . . I'm not sure I'd call it "high-schooley" . . . the narrator is certainly older than that.  But there is a touching simplicity about which I found winning enough to compose a ballet after it.
Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2014, 09:49:34 AM
Hah!

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 21, 2014, 09:51:15 AM
I'll say! I found it devastating. 

To clarify, I did find White Nights quite dark -- devastating even -- and, psychologically, I find Dosto to be one of the most spot-on, mature authors out there, even though I have only read White Nights, Crime and Punishment and The Double so far.

But throughout those stories, I can't help but feel that the narrator sounds a bit insecure and shaky, like someone who just figured something out and wants to test his hypothesis, rather than a rugged, experienced fellow who has "been there, done that".

It doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's not a biggy, but personally I think it clashes a bit with Dosto's psychological insights. :-\

Karl Henning

Quote from: Linus on September 22, 2014, 03:09:59 AM
To clarify, I did find White Nights quite dark -- devastating even -- and, psychologically, I find Dosto to be one of the most spot-on, mature authors out there, even though I have only read White Nights, Crime and Punishment and The Double so far.

But throughout those stories, I can't help but feel that the narrator sounds a bit insecure and shaky, like someone who just figured something out and wants to test his hypothesis, rather than a rugged, experienced fellow who has "been there, done that".

It doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's not a biggy, but personally I think it clashes a bit with Dosto's psychological insights. :-\

That's true about the narrator in White Nights;  but remember, the character an author creates, and the author's character, are distinct matters 8)

Take our Dave . . . he writes about zombies . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Artem on September 21, 2014, 08:26:14 PM
What do you think about the Idiot?

A great favorite;  in fact, I've just started to re-read it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on September 21, 2014, 04:07:56 PM
I assume you have watched A Cat in Paris.

Yes, and enjoyed it but not as much as Triplets and some other French animated work.   

Linus

Quote from: karlhenning on September 22, 2014, 03:27:45 AM
That's true about the narrator in White Nights;  but remember, the character an author creates, and the author's character, are distinct matters 8)

I didn't mean to imply that Dosto is some sort of sophomore. ;)

Nor his characters, really. Only that his style (I suppose that's it) has a certain quality.

Take our Dave . . . he writes about zombies . . . .

I've noticed some users are referred to by first names here. I'm afraid I have no idea who Dave is. :-\

North Star

Quote from: Linus on September 22, 2014, 08:14:49 AM
I didn't mean to imply that Dosto is some sort of sophomore. ;)

Nor his characters, really. Only that his style (I suppose that's it) has a certain quality.

I've noticed some users are referred to by first names here. I'm afraid I have no idea who Dave is. :-\
MN Dave. No idea if his username is that at the moment.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Linus on September 22, 2014, 08:14:49 AM

Gosh, nor does it help that, actually, we have several Daves:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Deal of the Week: 54% Off John Wayne: The Epic Collection (with Amazon Exclusive "Duke" Belt Buckle)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA