What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on October 22, 2014, 07:49:08 AM
I should get back at some Wodehouse to deal with impending autumn darkness, I suppose!
Looks like a nice anthology, although I think "Right ho, Jeeves" is actually the first book in a rather loose trilogy. So the story of Gussie, Madeline continues...
Already own that one.  ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Apparently the order is
Right ho, Jeeves
The code of the Woosters
The mating season

And some characters return in

Stiff upper lip, Jeeves
Much obliged, Jeeves (Jeeves and the tie that binds)

But I seem to recall that the last two are considerably weeker.

The first three and "Joy in the morning" are among the best Wodehouse I have read (I usually prefer Jeeves&Wooster to Blandings and the standalones, because Bertie recounting the tales is always a special delight, and, except for Lord Emsworth, I am not so fond of the Blandings setting anyway.)

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Leave It to Psmith was my first-ever Wodehouse, so I do think fondly of that 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2014, 02:12:00 PM
Leave It to Psmith was my first-ever Wodehouse, so I do think fondly of that 'un.
I will definitely want to explore that part of Wodehouse's work. Well, all the other facets of this fascinating fantasist, too.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on October 22, 2014, 02:28:28 PM
I will definitely want to explore that part of Wodehouse's work. Well, all the other facets of this fascinating fantasist, too.

Aye.

In general, I too feel that I enjoy the Bertie-&-Jeeves tales best.  Next-best, probably the Mulliner stories.

But he is always witty and entertaining, which is a great gift.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mark TwainIt is impossible to overestimate the enormity of this gouge. If the Century people knew anything at all;  if they were not steeped to the marrow in ignorance and stupidity, they knew that a single page of General Grant's manuscript was worth more than a hundred of mine. But they were steeped to such a degree in ignorance and stupidity.  They were honest, honorable and good-hearted people according to their lights, and if anybody could have made them see that it was shameful to take such an advantage of a dying soldier, they would have rectified the wrong. But all the eloquence that I was able to pour out upon them went for nothing, utterly for nothing. They still thought that they had been quite generous to the General and were not able to see the matter in any other light.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2014, 04:57:48 AMIn general, I too feel that I enjoy the Bertie-&-Jeeves tales best.  Next-best, probably the Mulliner stories.
I'll have to look into the Mulliner stories.

QuoteBut he is always witty and entertaining, which is a great gift.
Yes indeed, and having a virtuoso's command of the language helped.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

I'm wheeling among:

The Twain autobiography, which (to judge so far) is always very good reading
The first volume of the Churchill history of WWII
Probably my very favorite of all Robert Sheckley's short stories (well, of all his writings, probably): "The Robot Who Looked Like Me."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

I ordered Great Gatsby and Animal Farm as well.

My photographs on Flickr

Cosi bel do

Quote from: North Star on October 24, 2014, 06:31:03 AM
I ordered Great Gatsby and Animal Farm as well.

Wow, you're lucky, two great reads ahead of you, I almost envy you 8)

For a month or two, I decided to impose a new discipline on myself. I have to FINISH ALL THESE BOOKS I BEGUN before I have the right to start any other one ::)

Still a dozen to go... Zola's La Débâcle and Haskell's Forest unseen are my two tasks for the weekend :D

North Star

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 24, 2014, 07:19:11 AM

For a month or two, I decided to impose a new discipline on myself. I have to FINISH ALL THESE BOOKS I BEGUN before I have the right to start any other one ::)

Still a dozen to go... Zola's La Débâcle and Haskell's Forest unseen are my two tasks for the weekend :D
Reminds me I should perhaps give For Whom the Bell Tolls another try - it's been years since I stopped reading it, after finding it really tedious. I think I was still in sr. high back then. And then there's The Bleak House, of which I have a translation (Finnish) that I didn't finish.. I'll definitely read some Dickens in the future, but not translations.

My photographs on Flickr

Cosi bel do

Literature in English is the only one I can read in original language, and I end up reading as much in English than in my own language (which is French). But it makes choices more difficult, as it really widens the choice (I don't think I would have read and loved so many contemporary Americans books if I only read translations).
Dickens is on my list too, a bunch of them actually (Bleak House, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities...). I think that will be a proper reading project one day, too.

For Whom The Bell Tolls has been watching me from the shelf for quite a long time and will be one of my "close future" readings, with a few Faulkner I have not read already and want to (Light in August and Requiem for a Nun, mainly).

North Star

I read very little in Finnish actually, apart from translations from languages other than English. Ditto on the Dickens project, and the same trio, too.

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 24, 2014, 07:19:11 AM

Good luck on that one!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   >:D

I almost always fail....   :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Cosi bel do

Quote from: North Star on October 24, 2014, 07:39:01 AM
I read very little in Finnish actually, apart from translations from languages other than English. Ditto on the Dickens project, and the same trio, too.

Well, I must admit my ignorance about Finnish literature. The only author widely translated in French is Paasalinna and I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be light literature. Oh and Waltari, yes that might interest me one day. But I guess being Finnish allows to discover the diversity of foreign literature earlier and more thoroughly :)

North Star

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 24, 2014, 07:44:31 AM
Well, I must admit my ignorance about Finnish literature. The only author widely translated in French is Paasalinna and I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be light literature. Oh and Waltari, yes that might interest me one day. But I guess being Finnish allows to discover the diversity of foreign literature earlier and more thoroughly :)

Well there are Kalevala and Kanteletar the epic and the lyric poem collections by Elias Lönnrot, I read that (or some of it) in high school, and The Seven Brothers, the first Finnish novel, written by Aleksis Kivi, read it in both jr. and sr. high, a great book still. There's also Waltari (Sinuhe, e.g.), F. E. Sillanpää (Nobel prize winner), Minna Canth (some excellent realist plays, particularly about women's position), Eino Leino, a poet who died at the age of 47, wrote a good bit of poetry (influenced very much by Kalevala) and translated e.g. Dante.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on October 24, 2014, 07:55:59 AM
Well there are Kalevala and Kanteletar the epic and the lyric poem collections by Elias Lönnrot, I read that (or some of it) in high school, and The Seven Brothers, the first Finnish novel, written by Aleksis Kivi, read it in both jr. and sr. high, a great book still. There's also Waltari (Sinuhe, e.g.), F. E. Sillanpää (Nobel prize winner), Minna Canth (some excellent realist plays, particularly about women's position), Eino Leino, a poet who died at the age of 47, wrote a good bit of poetry (influenced very much by Kalevala) and translated e.g. Dante.

My Ex-brother-in-law is Estonian. He said the Kalevala is Estonia's national epic.... Didn't know it was Finnish til now.
It's all good...

Cosi bel do

Yes of course, Kalevala, I'll have to read this one day. Big project :D
Thanks for the names, The Seven Brothers seems interesting, out of print in French but quite cheap as a used book. Sillanpää seems hardest to find, but not impossible (the title of his translated novel, translated from French to English would be Silja, or A Brief Destiny). There seems to be a Minna Canth volume of collected short stories, also. Nothing from Eino Leino, though.
Thanks anyway, I'll sure read all that sometime in the future :)