What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ken B

Quote from: milk on November 04, 2014, 04:02:26 AM

Just starting this one. It seems that people like it.

I did. Holmes is one my family names ...  ???

Moonfish

Exhausted. In the mood for sword & sorcery! Woohooo!   >:D

[asin]0886773210[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Reading Alfred Einstein's "Mozart". 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 04, 2014, 08:11:45 PM

[asin]0886773210[/asin]
You seem to have a thing for Helene Dolmetsch pictures ...

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 05, 2014, 12:52:00 AM
Reading Alfred Einstein's "Mozart".

I can't help it. I always think when hearing his name: "Since when did Al study Mozart?" It doesn't help that I read they are distantly related.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on November 05, 2014, 05:23:09 AM
You seem to have a thing for Helene Dolmetsch pictures ...

Yeah, they forgot to draw the cello on that cover.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

"Are snake laxatives a thing?"

(Shan't watch The Show, of course, but I'm enjoying this article.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: North Star on October 24, 2014, 06:31:03 AMI ordered Great Gatsby and Animal Farm as well.
Finished Gatsby an hour ago, both were very enjoyable to read, to say the least.

My photographs on Flickr

Artem

I like Fitzgerald a lot. Have you read anything else by him besides The Great Gatsby?

North Star

Quote from: Artem on November 06, 2014, 04:21:15 PM
I like Fitzgerald a lot. Have you read anything else by him besides The Great Gatsby?
Not yet, but I sure intend to. :)

My photographs on Flickr

mn dave

Of course I've read it before, long ago.
[asin]0450054799[/asin]
Stephen King's NIGHT SHIFT

milk

Quote from: Ken B on November 04, 2014, 05:20:29 AM
I did. Holmes is one my family names ...  ???
Alright then. I'll see how it grabs me.

Cosi bel do

I finished Zola's La Débâcle (The Debacle). I still have the 20th and last novel of the Rougon-Macquart series to read (Le docteur Pascal) and I can only heartily recommend it (except La Débâcle was my least favourite).

Also, I read Dora Bruder again, by recent Nobel prize recepient Patrick Modiano. Probably one of his best books, not exactly fiction, not really nonfiction, typical Modiano. Good book, short, not a masterpiece though. You don't read Modiano if you're looking for a masterpiece...

Currently around one third into Vasily Grossman's For a Just Cause (Pour une juste cause in French), which is volume 1 of Life and Fate I have already read a few years ago. This first half hadn't been translated back then. I never really understood why Life and Fate was widely read as a single book. Well yes, I understand, For a Just Cause is a lot less anti-stalinian, but still, it is the beginning of the story... I think it still hasn't been translated into English, by the way...

listener

Terry Teachout's comments of a biography of pianist Harriet Cohen http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/2014/11/laugh-and-you-laugh-alone.html
got me to find a cheap copy and order it.   She was the mistress of Arnold Bax (and others), unaware of his other mistress, hoped to make the affair permanent but Bax's wife was a Catholic and wouldn't agree to a divorce.  Sounds like the sort of book usually read under the hair dryers.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Artem

I finished Jan Swafford's Johannes Brahms: A Biography, which was a very enjoyable book and enhanced my discovery of Brahms' music. I also have his book on Beethoven, but I think I'm going to read some non-fiction for a change before getting into another biography, which is 1000 pages at that.

Bogey

Reading these on the side in no particular order, but enjoying them.  I am also reading them out loud to my 12 year old daughter at the dinner table.  She tends to eat slowly and these are not helping her with leaving the table as she always asks for another story from them.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

As for my straight through read:

I believe I posted this on a thread somewhere and it got a favorable nod, but I left it on my nightstand collecting dust.  Just a few chapters in and already hooked.

Here it be:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13790.msg811974/topicseen.html#msg811974
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

Only Salvatore book I've read is attack of the clones. Much better than the movie, goes without saying. :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Linus

Atonement by Ian McEwan

So, I looked up some "Best novels of the 2000s" lists, started reading a few, but put them down soon enough, pretty disappointed. But then I picked this one up.

I've never read McEwan before. I'm a few chapters in and already feel this might be a future favourite book, if not a favourite author of mine. I'm thinking McEwan might be God, at least his omniscient side -- he seems to know everything about everyone's minds. (It's almost embarrassing to read, undressing us like that. :P)

I fear this book will end up a huge disappointment as well, but there's always hope, right? ;D