Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

This one:

Frans de Waal: The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society

[asin]B002PYFW8Y[/asin]

... but the paper Spanish translation:

This book discusses the vision of a primatologist about which are/ should be the real foundations of our society, facing the classic debate freedom v/s social collaboration, and using knowledge from his own professional field to discuss it.

Intriguingly, the last two or three years I became to be aware that I frequently derive more pleasure and stimulation from people formed in different intellectual traditions and/or with different political views than reading people of 'my own side'.

As when I did read "Misquoting Jesus" which I found encouraging as a Catholic. I mean if that it's all what Mr. Ehrman has against our "foundational myth", c'mon!...  :D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Ken B

Quote from: Gordo on January 03, 2015, 03:35:07 PM
This one:

Frans de Waal: The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society

[asin]B002PYFW8Y[/asin]

... but the paper Spanish translation:

This book discusses the vision of a primatologist about which are/ should be the real foundations of our society, facing the classic debate freedom v/s social collaboration, and using knowledge from his own professional field to discuss it.

Intriguingly, the last two or three years I became to be aware that I frequently derive more pleasure and stimulation from people formed in different intellectual traditions and/or with different political views than reading people of 'my own side'.

As when I did read "Misquoting Jesus" which I found encouraging as a Catholic. I mean if that it's all what Mr. Ehrman has against our "foundational myth", c'mon!...  :D
Read Apocalyptic Prophet. It's Ehrman's best book.

If you want a book that will shake your faith and turn you atheist, might I suggest the bible>:D :laugh:

TD
Five Days in Philadelphia, C Peters
About Wendell Wilkie winning the republican nomination in 1940, and the turn against isolationism.

Wakefield

Quote from: Ken B on January 03, 2015, 04:12:15 PM
Read Apocalyptic Prophet. It's Ehrman's best book.

If you want a book that will shake your faith and turn you atheist, might I suggest the bible>:D :laugh:

Well, generation after generation, myriads of human beings have thought something different; but I guess not all is about statistics, isn't it?  :)

About Ehrman: three weeks ago I bought Lost Christianities (Spanish translation), but I haven't started it yet. After this one I have other two Ehrman's books in my list: Peter, Paul and Mary Magdalene. The Followers of Jesus in History and Legend and your recommendation Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium.

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Philo

"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

stingo

Started this late in 2014, but didn't want to rush to finish it.

[asin]B00GWLQBUY[/asin]

Drasko

Quote from: Philo on January 05, 2015, 07:01:35 AM

I love the design of that box, local edition that I have is seven separate hardcovers in some rather unfortunate shade of purple.

[asin]0520203089[/asin]
Hope to finish both volumes by the end of the year.

Philo

Quote from: Drasko on January 05, 2015, 08:35:31 AM
I love the design of that box, local edition that I have is seven separate hardcovers in some rather unfortunate shade of purple.

[asin]0520203089[/asin]
Hope to finish both volumes by the end of the year.

It is very sleek. We'll see how far I make it through. I'm only a 100 or so pages in right now.

That's one of those books that is also on my list to read. I did utilize some of his theories for my graduate work though.
"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

Artem

Quote from: Philo on January 05, 2015, 07:01:35 AM
Volume 1:

This is a wonderful book.

Several years ago it was published in Russian in this beautiful edition with impressionistic covers.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Artem

Recently finished the Overwhelmed book, which I thought I would relate to but it turned out some people are way to hard on themselves. Wouldn't recommend it.

Also finally found the time to look through Ronis' book of photographs, which are quite nice.

This is one of my favorite photos by Ronis, but, unfortunately, it wasn't in the book that I bought.

North Star

Very Good, Jeeves

I also picked this up from Book Depository's January sale.

My photographs on Flickr

Henk

Quote from: Artem on January 10, 2015, 04:10:38 PM
This is one of my favorite photos by Ronis, but, unfortunately, it wasn't in the book that I bought.

Where is this? I guess Prague?
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Jaakko Keskinen

Part 3 of Tawastjerna's sibelius biography, years 1904-1914. The birth process of Fourth symphony is given 2 chapters.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Papy Oli

Olivier

Wakefield

Quote from: Artem on January 10, 2015, 04:10:38 PM
Recently finished the Overwhelmed book, which I thought I would relate to but it turned out some people are way to hard on themselves. Wouldn't recommend it.

It seemed interesting.  :(

Currently, I'm finishing The Age of Empathy (a good book, though I don't believe its central thesis) and started with this, I think quite related to Overwhelmed:     

[asin]B00G3L6KOA[/asin]

Digital version (ePub) bought on the Appstore.  :)

I have just read the introduction, but looks promising.
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on January 11, 2015, 03:39:21 AM

My very first Wodehouse encounter!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on January 11, 2015, 03:39:21 AM
Very Good, Jeeves

"Say it with flowerpots!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Across the pale parabola of joy . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA