What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on January 12, 2015, 06:07:14 AM
Across the pale parabola of joy . . . .
... ran the fretful porpentine?

Karl Henning

Is it pork or is it turpentine?  It's porpentine!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Philo

Reading sections from this (only when I've completed by Daily Proust):

"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

stingo

Two new reads for me...

[asin]B008EKOIN8[/asin]

and

[asin]B009Y3ON4I[/asin]

Bogey

On to the fourth book in this quietly amazing series.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on January 17, 2015, 04:39:44 AM

One of the best series ever.

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on January 17, 2015, 05:18:19 AM
One of the best series ever.

It's the grind of the first three that draw me in.  The pacing is absolutely brilliant and make you feel as if you are along with the characters.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on January 17, 2015, 05:24:17 AM
It's the grind of the first three that draw me in.  The pacing is absolutely brilliant and make you feel as if you are along with the characters.
Reading some of the threads here makes feel as if I were right along with Kvant and Kvastmo ...
>:D

Moonfish

Yeah, except for that they would not rant in English!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

The new erato

This:

Brilliant, entertaining and educating as usual from Bill.

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on January 18, 2015, 12:01:34 AM
This:

Wow. That looks cool.

Ken B

Quote from: The new erato on January 18, 2015, 12:01:34 AM
This:

A fun book as ever from BB.
Recommended for all Double Indemnity fans! The sash-weight murder ...

The new erato

Quote from: Ken B on January 18, 2015, 06:00:45 AM
A fun book as ever from BB.
Recommended for all Double Indemnity fans! The sash-weight murder ...
I love that movie and found that part of the book very interesting. Also some nuggets on Barbara Stamwyck's backgroud (she wasn't always named that).

Mookalafalas

I haven't been reading much the last couple of years, but just had a little binge:
[asin]B003K16P4G[/asin]

A fine memoir.

I was sick all day (again), and read a Rex Stout, which was fun but whet my appetite for the real thing--some Dashiell Hammett.  Been a long time since I read two novels in one day.  I should do it more often :)

[asin]B00413QACE[/asin]

[asin]B00IXQE2WU[/asin]
It's all good...

Henk

Eckermann - Conversations with Goethe
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 18, 2015, 07:13:40 AM
I haven't been reading much the last couple of years, but just had a little binge:
[asin]B003K16P4G[/asin]

A fine memoir.

I was sick all day (again), and read a Rex Stout, which was fun but whet my appetite for the real thing--some Dashiell Hammett.  Been a long time since I read two novels in one day.  I should do it more often :)

[asin]B00413QACE[/asin]

[asin]B00IXQE2WU[/asin]

First time I read RH I thought it a lot weaker than the Glass Key. Second time I read it I thought it was a masterpiece. Still think so after a third reading.  8)
Might be time to rerereread some more Hammett. Only Dain is weak.

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on January 17, 2015, 04:39:44 AM

They must of run out of umlauts for the cover.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on January 18, 2015, 07:28:44 AM
First time I read RH I thought it a lot weaker than the Glass Key. Second time I read it I thought it was a masterpiece. Still think so after a third reading.  8)
Might be time to rerereread some more Hammett. Only Dain is weak.

I like Dain a lot, although it is even more over-the-top than the others. Re-read "The Thin Man" today. I didn't remember anything from it, except the one "secret" you aren't supposed to find out til the end.   I hadn't read it in 25 years.  Read Raymond Chandler's "Killer in the Rain" last night--which turned out to be an early version of "The Big Sleep".  Still fun to read.  It's too bad those guys have so few novels between them.   Hammett's books are so crammed with people and events that if I wait enough years, I really don't remember much of what happened and can get a really enjoyable re-read.  I doubt that will be the case with Chandler--but I don't think I've re-read any of his yet.  I'll have to give one a go and see what happens. I've really got the hard-boiled detective bug these days.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 19, 2015, 04:59:59 AM
  I like Dain a lot, although it is even more over-the-top than the others. Re-read "The Thin Man" today. I didn't remember anything from it, except the one "secret" you aren't supposed to find out til the end.   I hadn't read it in 25 years.  Read Raymond Chandler's "Killer in the Rain" last night--which turned out to be an early version of "The Big Sleep".  Still fun to read.  It's too bad those guys have so few novels between them.   Hammett's books are so crammed with people and events that if I wait enough years, I really don't remember much of what happened and can get a really enjoyable re-read.  I doubt that will be the case with Chandler--but I don't think I've re-read any of his yet.  I'll have to give one a go and see what happens. I've really got the hard-boiled detective bug these days.

When I reread Chandler I was pleasantly surprised how they held up. He's due for a third reading.

Philo

Interspersed amongst Proust and Bloom is Baudelaire's The Flowers of Evil.
"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner