What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Read Raven and the Gold-bug from Poe. I liked both but gold-bug immensely more. It is a very clever short story. I heard Stevenson was inspired by Gold-bug when he wrote Treasure island, particularly the way skeleton/s "guard" the treasure.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Artem

Beautiful little book by an author who was unknown to me previously. I bought it on a whip and wasn't a bit disappointed. Will look for other Johnson's work.

Henk

Really digging these books. Excellent works!
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Ken B

Quote from: Henk on April 03, 2015, 11:11:43 AM

Really digging these books. Excellent works!

I recommend The Roman Builders by Rabun Taylor. It is filled with academic crap and jargon but also with fascinating details of the how and why of ancient Roman buildings. A lot. Not for those with only a casual interest, but you clearly have more than that.

Moonfish

Just started on this Mahler biography and it is quite interesting...

[asin] 0300134444[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Henk

Quote from: Ken B on April 03, 2015, 12:05:01 PM
I recommend The Roman Builders by Rabun Taylor. It is filled with academic crap and jargon but also with fascinating details of the how and why of ancient Roman buildings. A lot. Not for those with only a casual interest, but you clearly have more than that.

Thanks, Ken! I'm gonna stick to Clarke first though.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Beaumarchais

Because of the computer I've gone from being a regular reader to an infrequent one but I'm currently re reading a book that I published some years ago and have not read for some time. I have written a couple of others, one of which I had published recently, and the third is waiting for revision (which is soul-destroying) but will probably be completed some time this year.
However, here's my magnum opus and, for anyone who might be interested, it can be Googled for a synopsis.

"Music is what tells us that the human race is greater than we realize."
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Ken B

.[asin]0743272056[/asin]

[asin]0195125002[/asin]

[asin]1935251767[/asin]

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on April 05, 2015, 12:15:10 PM
.[asin]0743272056[/asin]

How do you like the Zimmer's writing, Ken?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on April 05, 2015, 12:50:33 PM
How do you like the Zimmer's writing, Ken?
I like this. His Parasite Rex is a fantastic book.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on April 05, 2015, 12:51:39 PM
I like this. His Parasite Rex is a fantastic book.

I haven't read "Soul Made Flesh", but I must agree on Parasite Rex! Interesting experiments for the tapeworm life cycle, eh?  >:D
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Ken, looks like a fantastic trio! I will look into all 3 of those.

I just started:
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 05, 2015, 05:17:27 PM
Ken, looks like a fantastic trio! I will look into all 3 of those.

I just started:

Report back please! That has been just below my threshold of "I will read that now" for 40 years ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on April 05, 2015, 05:19:30 PM
Report back please! That has been just below my threshold of "I will read that now" for 40 years ...

;) Yeah, I've been meaning to read it for about 15. I had it in my kindle, but John Cleese raved about it in his autobiography, so I put it up in the first slot. 
    Would like to hear about your books as well, especially the Resenberger book on the cell. I have the Changizi and a different Zimmerman book: "Evolution, the Triumph of an Idea", so will give those a go (or at least a look).
It's all good...

North Star

Not reading these yet, but ordered

[asin]0241955440[/asin]
[asin]0091940176[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

For some reason I jumped to this as soon as I saw Ken's post. will finish soon.

[asin]0061138401[/asin]
It's all good...

Jubal Slate

I love Rodgers and Hart (thanks, Ella) and so am reading this...
[asin]1416594264[/asin]