What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2015, 05:37:44 AM
Brilliant!
I'll be finishing that one during the autumn myself.

My holiday reading (well, a Finnish translation of the Renoir). Both brilliant, of course.
[asin]0140424547[/asin]

[asin]0940322773[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

Brilliant!
Isn't that the last one with the Gussie-Madeline-story?
In any case this edition has a big spoiler on the title illustration...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on June 17, 2015, 08:57:50 AM

I never dug into the proper chronology . . . I've just read stories/novels pell-mell.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Drasko

Brilliant!

'Tis.

Quote from: Jo498 on June 17, 2015, 08:57:50 AM

No, it's the first one. The Code of the Woosters is something of a sequel, after that I don't know.

edit: after The Code of the Woosters, come The Mating Season and Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves.

Fëanor

The Evolution of God by Robert Wright

A good combination of anthropological fact and reasoned speculation.

Moonfish

I began this behemoth today! Wish me luck! It is definitely intriguing in its scope.

Jürgen Osterhammel: The Transformation of the World - A Global History of the Nineteenth Century

Review from NYRB.

[asin] 0691147450[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on June 17, 2015, 12:22:26 PM
I began this behemoth today! Wish me luck! It is definitely intriguing in its scope.

Jürgen Osterhammel: The Transformation of the World - A Global History of the Nineteenth Century

Review from NYRB.

[asin] 0691147450[/asin]

Interesting looking but ... Let us know.
I see Tyler Cowen blurbed the book. The world knows few greater masters of the incomprehensible sentence, the garbled paragraph, than Tyler Cowen.

TD
Just started a novel, The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout

Jo498

Quote from: Draško on June 17, 2015, 09:32:16 AM
No, it's the first one. The Code of the Woosters is something of a sequel, after that I don't know.

edit: after The Code of the Woosters, come The Mating Season and Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves.
right! I consider "The mating season" (where I think no less than 4 couples have to be sorted out) as the proper finale, the last one is not as good I seem to recall (although it does have the fearful Spode!)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

At new erato's suggestion, I started reading this on the bus ride home yesterday:

[asin]B00555X8OA[/asin]

As Sam Gamgee is reported to have said, this is an eye opener, and no mistake.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 17, 2015, 02:20:51 PM
Interesting looking but ... Let us know.
I see Tyler Cowen blurbed the book. The world knows few greater masters of the incomprehensible sentence, the garbled paragraph, than Tyler Cowen.

It is fascinating. His initial musing on archives, libraries and museums as 19th century phenomena are well worth reading. Very interesting perspectives.

Re-reading Birkerts' essays as well. Have you read it?

[asin] 0865479577[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

NikF

Last Nights of Paris - Soupault

At the moment my girlfriend has a couple of days work away (in Florence...where it's raining?) and so I've been indulging myself without any sort of distraction or break; including being able to listen to more music than usual and to read. Also: steak, wine, etc.
As part of that I'm enjoying a surreal and somewhat charming meander around nocturnal Paris.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Artem

Review from NYRB.

[asin] 0691147450[/asin]
Whishlisted it on amazon. Looks interesting.

Ken B

Review from NYRB.

[asin] 0691147450[/asin]

This appeals to my prejudices. I think the 19th century, especially if you take 1815-1914, saw more change of a more fundamental change in the world and how we view than any century before or since (that's a sample size of 1  :)) . And people spout such twaddle about the Victorians ... But it also matters how well a book is written. It sounds dire in that respect.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on June 18, 2015, 07:35:29 PM
This appeals to my prejudices. I think the 19th century, especially if you take 1815-1914, saw more change of a more fundamental change in the world and how we view than any century before or since (that's a sample size of 1  :)) . And people spout such twaddle about the Victorians ... But it also matters how well a book is written. It sounds dire in that respect.
I feel the same way, especially after attempting to read a few pages of the Amazon preview.

Moonfish

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2015, 11:58:41 AM
I feel the same way, especially after attempting to read a few pages of the Amazon preview.

It is a bit dense (perhaps the translation?), but excellent (so far)...    0:)
Anna Lappé

Jo498

I haven't read this one but you have to keep in mind that when a book by a German history professor is considered "easy reading" by German academic standards, it's probably considered dense and barely readable by anglophone standards. (If you want to get a taste of what's considered dense by German standards, have a look at some Hegel.... or better, don't.)
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: Jo498 on June 19, 2015, 12:28:56 PM
I haven't read this one but you have to keep in mind that when a book by a German history professor is considered "easy reading" by German academic standards, it's probably considered dense and barely readable by anglophone standards. (If you want to get a taste of what's considered dense by German standards, have a look at some Hegel.... or better, don't.)
Yes, I am familiar with Hegel (in translation). Great stuff (but not exactly entertaining - brick and mortar). I was not referring to the density of the text in terms of the author but rather the intricacy of the art of translation. Phrases can become awkward in the transition between languages as I am sure you are well aware. Regardless, I like the book very much.
Anna Lappé

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on June 19, 2015, 12:28:56 PM
My father tackled Kant in English and German both, and he failed both times...

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2015, 01:32:31 PM
My father tackled Kant in English and German both, and he failed both times...
As opposed to Kant, who only failed in German.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA