What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: sanantonio on July 21, 2015, 12:28:15 PM
The article in the National Review is written and designed, I might say modified, to taint those opposed to ingesting GM food as fruits, nuts and flakes.  No doubt they got their "factual" information from the vested industrial interests like Monsanto.  I count myself among those who reject GMO because contrary to what the industry-bought-and-paid-for media will tell you, there have been no long term studies done to see if ingesting food from seeds genetically modified to be resistant to pesticides (or in some cases contain the pesticide themselves) do to people.  I for one want as little RoundUp (another Monsanto product) on my food as possible, not as much as possible.

To put it simply: I do not trust Monsanto for my food.

The FDA is in the pocket of the big agro industrial complex (Donald Rumsfeld went from heading the FDA where he fast-tracked aspartame approval despite red flags) to being a highly paid exec for Searle, owner of Monsanto.

This country is fast becoming a place I no longer feel safe because of creeping soft-fascism such as branding a commonsense skepticism about GMO, vaccines, and other issues as nutty.

Twaddle.

That's an accurate, and kind, summary but let me expand. There is no evidence GMO foods are harmful. There is considerable benefit from their use. Vaccination is the greatest health technology ever invented.
Ramblings about bogey men and vague cries of "cui bono" don't cut it as evidence or argument.

Todd

Quote from: sanantonio on July 21, 2015, 12:28:15 PMDonald Rumsfeld went from heading the FDA where he fast-tracked aspartame approval despite red flags

Donald Rumsfeld was never head of the FDA.  You need to stop reading conspiracy sites.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

I get the Monsanto-skepticism.  But just because I have a quarrel with Boeing's business practices in 2H13, does not mean anything against the technology of the airplane.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2015, 11:40:44 AM
Thus are this story and the Trump boomlet explained.

I think he's just resentful because he was turned away (as shiftless and lazy) at the Mexican border.  "You cannot pull the poncho over our ojos, gringo!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on July 21, 2015, 12:28:15 PM
The article in the National Review is written and designed, I might say modified, to taint those opposed to ingesting GM food as fruits, nuts and flakes.

If you say "portray" rather than "taint," I think we may quite agree.  Fact is, the person closest to me who suffers from this hysteria actually used the neologism "Frankenfood."  She is impervious to rational argument on the question.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

Some Icelandic writing in Belgrade's Saharan heat.

ritter

Not really  reading yet, but rather browsing this lavishly produced tome on that fascinating personality that was Rolf de Maré...

[asin]1852731281[/asin]

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Fascinating and must listen to more of the man's work than I have :

[asin]0393071022[/asin]

stingo

Commandant of Auschwitz by Rudolph Hoess

and

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

NikF

There are two volumes of this and I finally managed to get both combined in the one (used) edition. And this is the sort of book I can enjoy casually dipping into over an extended period of time.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Henk

Ayone here who has read Emerson? What are your thoughts?
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Karl Henning

I've read Emerson, but I do not recall his philosophy being oriented towards prosperity.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on July 24, 2015, 11:09:17 AM
I've read Emerson, but I do not recall his philosophy being oriented towards prosperity.
Like reading Anita Bryant's Guide to Gay Sex.

SimonNZ

...specifically the section of essays on Samuel Johnson, Boswell and their circle, and a selection of the others

Henk

Quote from: karlhenning on July 24, 2015, 11:09:17 AM

How do you recall it then?
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Karl Henning

A rich life, but not in the narrow material sense.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Henk

Quote from: karlhenning on July 27, 2015, 03:29:34 AM

But also a philosophy you can apply on your own life imo.

Henk

Finished this book a few weeks ago. Going back in times, for his time alluminating without doubt, still valuable insights. Related to Heidegger and existentialism. Accessible.

Ortega mentions he introduced the term "existence" in philosophy, ancitipating on existentialism as a genre in philosophy.

North Star

Quote from: Henk on July 27, 2015, 05:03:59 AM
Quote from: karlhenning on July 27, 2015, 03:29:34 AM
That's rather obvious - after all, philosophy is what one does and reads when one's material prosperity is narrow.  ;)
But, in all seriousness, yes, it's definitely good philosophy.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Henk

Quote from: North Star on July 27, 2015, 09:36:21 AM

That's rather obvious - after all, philosophy is what one does and reads when one's material prosperity is narrow.  ;)
But, in all seriousness, yes, it's definitely good philosophy.

Books aren't cheap though. You better philosophy yourself, without having to read any book. ;)

NR: