What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on August 15, 2015, 07:56:43 AM
Coincidentally, I started rereading Monte Cristo about a week ago. Non-abridged, by Jalmari Finne.
[unabridged]

Very nice.

Thread duty

I returned just now after bathing in the bright summer's sun on the beach in the best of companies:
[asin]0199535795[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jaakko Keskinen

Well, excuse meee, I wrote that in a hurry.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on August 15, 2015, 09:25:51 AM
Well, excuse meee, I wrote that in a hurry.

No apology is necessary. ;)
I certainly didn't intend to grumble. . .

How is the Finne translation, by the way? I see it's from 1912.

My photographs on Flickr

Jaakko Keskinen

1911, actually. It's excellent, although there are some outdated expressions (the word "tyhmeliini" sounds a bit silly, like straight out of old fairy tales).

- Victor Hugo

ritter

Starting with this recent purchase:

[asin]8831719394[/asin]
I still haven't reached the musical part of these memoirs by one of Italy's foremost (and most scathing) music critics. The first few pages are rather pompously loaded with latin quotes (from Virgil and Horace), but then as he starts talking about himself, Paolo Isotta is one of those raconteurs who manage to make you take a keen interest in the vicissitudes of, for instance, their third-grade teacher. Definitely a fun read so far...

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on August 15, 2015, 09:45:49 AM
1911, actually. It's excellent, although there are some outdated expressions (the word "tyhmeliini" sounds a bit silly, like straight out of old fairy tales).
Hah! It's a good word in the appropriate place, though.
I'll certainly keep this one in mind if/when I want to read the whole thing later on.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on August 15, 2015, 09:45:49 AM

What does tyhmeliini mean?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on August 15, 2015, 10:06:28 AM
What does tyhmeliini mean?
I was wondering the same thing..saw it translated as "nincompoop" in some webpage.  ;)

Jaakko Keskinen

Well, it basically means "an idiot" but it's a really odd way to say it.

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: ritter on August 15, 2015, 10:49:29 AM
I was wondering the same thing..saw it translated as "nincompoop" in some webpage.  ;)

Yes, that's it, pretty much.

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Nincompoop is quite accurate. It's an affectionate form - well, maybe not that affectionate - of tyhmä, i.e. stupid. The Dude might say foolerino, if he wasn't into the whole brevity thing.  0:)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on August 15, 2015, 10:50:51 AM
Well, it basically means "an idiot" but it's a really odd way to say it.

Well, and if you please, nincompoop is perhaps an odd way of saying an idiot  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 15, 2015, 11:56:19 AM
Nincompoop is quite accurate. It's an affectionate form - well, maybe not that affectionate - of tyhmä, i.e. stupid. The Dude might say foolerino, if he wasn't into the whole brevity thing.  0:)

Reminds me of Sam's old Gaffer calling him a ninnyhammer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Ken B on June 17, 2015, 02:20:51 PM
Interesting looking but ... Let us know.
I see Tyler Cowen blurbed the book. The world knows few greater masters of the incomprehensible sentence, the garbled paragraph, than Tyler Cowen.

;D

I ran into him at a shopping mall a year ago.

Karl Henning

A book that my sister wrote;  she began just by sending e-mail messages to keep our youngest sister in good cheer, and then she was encouraged to make it a complete story.  Reading it makes me smile.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Artem

As usual with Bernhard, I enjoyed this book. It is a story of a man, trying to write a work of his life entitled On the sense of hearing. He lives with his wife far away from the society but ends up killing her. It is the first thing that you learn on page one of the book about the main character in the novel.

The book is an account of an imaginary literary club. It is a short and fun read, but won't stay on your mind for too long after you finish it.

NikF

I don't suppose this really counts as reading...

We moved into this house last year and still have boxes needing unpacked. But that's nothing, because this afternoon we found a couple of boxes containing many guitar magazines dating from about 1977 to 1987. I don't remember where these came from. Anyway, one of us is continuing to soldier on with the task of unpacking, organising, storing etc. And one of us is laying back on the sofa reading about guitars with pointy headstocks.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 21, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
I don't suppose this really counts as reading...

We moved into this house last year and still have boxes needing unpacked. But that's nothing, because this afternoon we found a couple of boxes containing many guitar magazines dating from about 1977 to 1987. I don't remember where these came from. Anyway, one of us is continuing to soldier on with the task of unpacking, organising, storing etc. And one of us is laying back on the sofa reading about guitars with pointy headstocks.
I am appalled. Please. for the love of all things bright and beautiful, read instead about guitars with open-book headstocks or those round Fender-style headstocks, and not those awful pointy things! I quite like the Randy Rhoads signature design, though - but that's probably the only decent design from the 1980s. You may read about that one.  :P

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on August 21, 2015, 11:57:27 AM
I am appalled. Please. for the love of all things bright and beautiful, read instead about guitars with open-book headstocks or those round Fender-style headstocks, and not those awful pointy things! I quite like the Randy Rhoads signature design, though - but that's probably the only decent design from the 1980s. You may read about that one.  :P

Ah, no, it's more that I'm considering how some can find such headstocks aesthetically pleasing, while I can only think of them as being useful if I were stranded on a desert island and could use them for spearing fish or making holes in coconuts or poking snakes or something.
I'll have a look later and see if Randy Rhodes and his guitar appear in any of the issues. For now, I can only offer either Julian Bream, Joe Pass, or Yngwie Malmsteen and his ego. No difference between those three. Heh.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".