What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

ritter

Stefan Zweig's loving tribute to the land in which he found shelter:

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 27, 2016, 09:52:15 AM
Stefan Zweig's loving tribute to the land in which he found shelter:

He seems to have had second thoughts about Brazil´s (and the whole world´s, for that matter) future, though... 
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2016, 11:56:58 PM
He seems to have had second thoughts about Brazil´s (and the whole world´s, for that matter) future, though...
ndeed, it is striking that only months after having written this panegyric on Brazil, Zweig fell into the depression that led to such a tragic outcome for him and his wife. Yet, I'd say the source of that depression was the news from Europe rather than anything related to his country of exile. AFAIK the reaction of other émigrés--mainly in the US--to this double suicide was one of disgust at what was perceived as an act of cowardice in those dark times. All very sad (but none of that be sensed in this book, which is a pleasant and entertaining read).

Artem

Haven't posted here in a while. Here are some books that I read since my last post. Yes was a favorite of the bunch.

SimonNZ

Super Blood Moon

Karl Henning

Quote from: Super Blood Moon on March 30, 2016, 09:14:58 AM
My first Rex Stout novel.

Which one?

Philosophically, as a fan of the Timothy Hutton/Maury Chaykin series, I am ready to take the plunge.

I want to consult my brother, who is my Stout expert . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Super Blood Moon

Quote from: karlhenning on March 30, 2016, 09:24:04 AM
Which one?

Philosophically, as a fan of the Timothy Hutton/Maury Chaykin series, I am ready to take the plunge.

I want to consult my brother, who is my Stout expert . . . .

I always begin at the beginning.

[asin]0553385453[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Having read about 80% or so of the Nero Wolfe books since last summer, I'd also recommend to start at the beginning although overall the order is not terribly important. The first two are a little lengthy, but certainly not bad and have most of the standard features. I hit "Some buried Caesar" accidentally as the first one and this is one of the best ones (and also introduces an important minor character). The other pre-war books:
The Rubber Band
The Red Box
Too Many Cooks
Some Buried Caesar
Over My Dead Body
are all essential, I'd say. "Too many Cooks" is also one that especially highlights Wolfe's obsession with food and one of the few where he leaves his house. (These are often more entertaining because the "routine" can get sometimes a little tedious, especially if one reads them at a rate of about one per week or so.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Author Imre Kertesz died this week. Nobel Prize in 2002. Anybody knows his oeuvre ?

SimonNZ

Quote from: André on March 31, 2016, 11:28:08 AM
Author Imre Kertesz died this week. Nobel Prize in 2002. Anybody knows his oeuvre ?

I read Fatelessness and also Kaddish For An Unborn Child maybe ten years ago, and know I admired them at the time, but can't remember them well now. Should reinvestigate.

ludwigii

So far interested me particularly for the color's theories (Michel Eugène Chevreul, Ogden Nicholas Rood), good the illustrations and the text of Hajo Düchting.

But tonight finally I start reading Peer Gynt   8)

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: ludwigii on April 06, 2016, 01:15:30 PM
But tonight finally I start reading Peer Gynt   8)

Gynt is awesome. Grieg's music is not bad either. In fact, before I really started to listen to classical music, one of the few pieces I liked was Grieg's incidental music to that play.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Artem

Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.

It was part of my unofficial tradition of reading one sic-fi book per year. Southern Reach Trilogy is a story about an ecological anomaly that is slowly spreading while a group of people try to investigate and stop it. Certain people in that group have different connections with the anomaly called Area X. The trilogy received mixed results on goodreads.com mostly because of the books ending, I gather. I agree with some of the reviewers that the writing was rather clunky at times, but the good parts of the book are really good. And even though it felt like a long read, I didn't feel that my time was wasted after almost 600 pages of it.

André

The last Henning Mankell story of Kurt Wallander. When he trips over a half-buried hand and starts a new investigation.

What's what with swedish detective stories ? They have emerged as one of the most captivating litterary genres over the last 30 years, spilling over into cinematic and TV adaptations, etc.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ