What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludwigii

Quote from: Alberich on April 07, 2016, 07:34:33 AM
Gynt is awesome. Grieg's music is not bad either. In fact, before I really started to listen to classical music, one of the few pieces I liked was Grieg's incidental music to that play.

I also started to listen to classical music with Grieg !
The play is a deep work of genius, with multiple meanings, I'm reading mostly to thoroughly understand the Peer Gynt by Schnittke, one of my favorite compositions ever.

For example, the Trolls in this play, and in mithology and folklore in general, represent the darker side of human nature, specifically sexuality, greed for food, power and possession, and emotion like anger.

So I realize that the whole play is full of double meanings.
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2016, 01:35:30 PM

Briefly:

• Curiously, I've not yet seen Withnail and I (I now plan to watch it with my brother, who has warned me that the trailer reveals most of the jokes).
  • The story of his approaching, and landing, that role is the sampler of the Kindle edition; delightfully told.
  • I was already considering the book from the blurb's juicy bit w/r/t Hudson Hawk (I love the movie, but . . . you know the bit about how one makes an omelette, Lenin's, was it?)

Thread Duty:

Although I started to read it (and left it half-finished) a year ago (at a guess), this morning I finally finished Night Flight.  It is not, I believe, any poor reflection on the book that I did not find myself magnetized upon it.  Indeed, I find it a beautiful snapshot of the mindset/worldview of an earlier era.  Chalk the delay up to a composer whose attentions are daily on the fragmented side.

(I am glad I left reading the preface until after I read the book itself, as Gide larded it with a spoiler.  Of course, "the spoiler" is arguably a creature of a time later than Gide's . . . .)

[asin]0156656051[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Drasko

Mickey Spillane - The Big Kill

In Serbian translation, cheap pulpy paperback edition (appropriately).

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Re-reading De Lillo, White Noise.  This one always casts something of a spell on me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

kishnevi

Karl Henning

QuoteMight [ name of company ] Eventually Hire a CEO Who Understands [ the business in which the company is engaged ]?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Soon, hopefully, I'm going to dive into the world of Wilhelm Meister.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Henk

Among other books.

Rather typing passages (copying by hand) than reading. First read the book, selecting passages, then typing it into a document (and after that arrange it with other sources into a Prezi document). A way to keep hold of the stuff.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

You know what. Foucault is in my view referring with "the birth of biopolitics" as something which happened and happens in The Netherlands rather than any other country. All his interpreters are pretty ignorant about this. And I'm gonna follow the direction, the very short hint, he gives at the end of that title.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

Two other books I've read recent days.

Interesting stuff, just little books in which Derrida gives some thought directions considering the topics. Really useful stuff to me. Need to reread but these are thin books.

I am busy on some integrative work considering topics as biopolitics, cosmopolitism, asylum problem, (right to) philosophy, city-land (nature) relation ("soil not oil"), eros-thymos matters.

Bogey

Been a number of years, so returning to one of my all time favorite stories.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

Cervantes - The Trials of Persiles and Sigismunda

(Romanian translation)

8) 8) 8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Bogey on May 01, 2016, 09:53:00 AM

Been a number of years, so returning to one of my all time favorite stories.

Great book although I still prefer silmarillion By a mile
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

Quote from: Alberich on May 02, 2016, 12:49:05 AM

Great book although I still prefer silmarillion By a mile

I snagged this all in one edition due to the appendices.  Not sure how much I will reference them, but its nice to know that they are there.

Brian

The Door, a novel by Magda Szabó:

[asin] 1590177711[/asin]

Hot damn. I'm almost to the end and really want to shut my office door and read. What starts as a character study of a young woman and her housekeeper builds in tension until it goes to some really crazy places. Szabó's control of her narrative, and her language, is really breathtaking. One of those books where I feel confident that the author is taking me somewhere great.

Artem

I read that book earlier this year and agree that it is pretty good. I really liked the way the domestic life of the writer is contrasted with her interaction with the housekeeper Emerence.

Jaakko Keskinen

More than halfway through Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre. Not an easy book to read but I still enjoy it. Nice combination of picaresque style and elaborate planning.

- Victor Hugo