What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Life: A User's Manual - Georges Perec.

[asin]1567923739[/asin]

"La Vie mode d'emploi is a tapestry of interwoven stories and ideas as well as literary and historical allusions, based on the lives of the inhabitants of a fictitious Parisian apartment block, 11 Rue Simon-Crubellier (no such street exists, although the quadrangle Perec claims Simon-Crubellier cuts through does exist in Paris XVII arrondissement). It was written according to a complex plan of writing constraints, and is primarily constructed from several elements, each adding a layer of complexity."

I've finally been having a reread after many years.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

This "Top 25 Hitchcock Movies, sorry, Films" puzzles me a bit.   I don't understand why #25 is not a film they genuinely like, rather than one which they make a point of pooh-poohing.  (Or is it too much to ask that a "Top 25" include only items which are favorably regarded?)

All the same, an enjoyable read, methought.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wakefield

ikigai [Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz]
Héctor García (Kirai) & Francesc Miralles

ikigai - The Secrets of Japan for a Long and Happy Life
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Jaakko Keskinen

Before moving on with Wilhelm, I sat down to read Titus Andronicus. Having heard about mixed reception of this play, I was fearing the worst, but I have to say I enjoyed it thoroughly.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on May 21, 2016, 09:31:42 AM
Before moving on with Wilhelm, I sat down to read Titus Andronicus. Having heard about mixed reception of this play, I was fearing the worst, but I have to say I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Quite tasty.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on May 21, 2016, 10:13:01 AM
Quite tasty.
Yaay, Ken's back!! I must have conjured you up by listening to a HIP recording of La mer this week. Tonight I'll put on one or two Preston Sturges movies to celebrate.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: North Star on April 23, 2014, 08:05:36 AM
Slughorn did have his unpleasant features too - possibly a paedophile, who 'collects' the most promising students, and "you can only say 'no' to the Death Eaters so many times" was rather ambiguous too.

You do know that pedophile is not the same thing as a child molester? While most of the child molesters are pedophiles, not even remotely every pedophile is a child molester - in fact, I know several p:s, who have sexual thoughts about children, and feel terrible guilt about it, and for no reason because they would never even hurt a fly, much less any children. And everyone in Harry Potter has his/her unpleasant attributes - Harry, for ex. has often ridiculously short temper and very black and white-worldview, also certain lack of respect towards authorities. Hermione goes all yandere in Half-Blood Prince.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

I have an urge to re-read the great american novel, Moby Dick which I recall having liked, though at times the information about whaling was a bit too encyclopedic. Mardi is also on my must read-list when it comes to Melville.

Btw, I did literature character test one day and I got captain Ahab!

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

I'm a huge fan of Moby-Dick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on May 22, 2016, 10:58:51 AM
I did literature character test one day and I got captain Ahab!

I did three different such tests. First, I got Tom Sawyer, then Jo March and thirdly Sherlock Holmes:D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

jlaurson

Myself. Wohoo. My* first book has arrived from the printers!

(Co-authored, rather than translated [done] or solely authored [to do list])

Ken B

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2016, 05:04:15 AM
Myself. Wohoo. My* first book has arrived from the printers!

(Co-authored, rather than translated [done] or solely authored [to do list])
Woo hoo indeed! Congratulations.

jlaurson

Quote from: Ken B on May 23, 2016, 06:50:37 AM
Woo hoo indeed! Congratulations.

Thank you, Ken. Maybe something less morbid for your gray cat to read.  ;)

[Yes, I know it's most probably not your cat.]

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Congratulations from me as well!

- Victor Hugo