What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

Bravo!

Congratulations Jens.

Added to my wishlist.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

jlaurson

Quote from: HIPster on May 23, 2016, 10:18:58 AM
Bravo!

Congratulations Jens.

Added to my wishlist.  ;)

That's very flattering, indeed. My contributions are mainly Braunfels, Saygun, Schoeck, Mittler, Zeisl and Shostakovich -- and re-doing or updating all the record recommendations. And trying to take the sting out of the anti-Schoenberg diatribe. :-)

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2016, 11:11:42 AM
. . . And trying to take the sting out of the anti-Schoenberg diatribe. :-)

Rut-roh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2016, 05:04:15 AM
Myself. Wohoo. My* first book has arrived from the printers!

(Co-authored, rather than translated [done] or solely authored [to do list])

Congratulations indeed. That is a fine achievement and you must be very proud  :)

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on May 22, 2016, 12:04:13 PM

Just downloaded the sample.

Did not enjoy the premise after I started so went to my next one:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

André

That's very flattering, indeed. My contributions are mainly Braunfels, Saygun, Schoeck, Mittler, Zeisl and Shostakovich -- and re-doing or updating all the record recommendations. And trying to take the sting out of the anti-Schoenberg diatribe. :-)

Bravo Jens!

Florestan

Saygun

Please name the one European composer he most closely resembles. TIA.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Kontrapunctus

She is one of my favorite crime fiction writers. Her novels are gritty, and at times, not for the faint of heart.

jlaurson

Quote from: Florestan on May 24, 2016, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2016, 05:04:15 AM
Myself. Wohoo. My* first book has arrived from the printers!

(Co-authored, rather than translated [done] or solely authored [to do list])
Please name the one European composer he most closely resembles. TIA.

Is that a joke? Or a test?  ;) [see attached]

I'm not sure, because superficially, the answer is very, very obvious. But of course looking at it just a little beneath the surface, there are tremendous differences. Still, if you like one you'll like the other.

Florestan

Quote from: jlaurson on May 25, 2016, 09:55:40 AM
Is that a joke? Or a test?  ;)

Neither.  :)

I have never heard one note of Saygun´s music and I just wanted to know what to expect. I like Bartok so I´ll try Saygun too. Thanks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

The Invention of Science
D Wooton

A new, rather scholarly, history of the scientific revolution. A corrective to Kuhn.

jlaurson

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2016, 11:42:16 AM

I have never heard one note of Saygun´s music and I just wanted to know what to expect. I like Bartok so I´ll try Saygun too. Thanks.

then you will LOVE the string quartets!

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2016, 11:42:16 AM

I also hear hints of  Kodaly and Shostakovich.

kishnevi

Picked this up at the public library this afternoon

jlaurson

Quote from: Daverz on May 28, 2016, 04:01:27 PM
I also hear hints of  Kodaly and Shostakovich.

I think there's that and perhaps more than just hints. You might also say Enescu is in that group...

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 29, 2016, 12:32:16 PM
Picked this up at the public library this afternoon

A review when you get done would be appreciated. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Quote from: Bogey on May 29, 2016, 03:30:04 PM
A review when you get done would be appreciated. :)

Already done: a slim book, consisting of an unfinished prose version of the Kullervo story with outbreaks of verse sort of in the style of the original, two versions of a talk about the Kalevala in general,  again not quite complete, aimed at people not familiar with the Kalevala, and much editorial writing on the subject of this story as precursor to the Turin story of the Similarrion, incidental influences on  Elvish language, etc.

The story breaks off just after the suicide of Kullervo's sister, but covers the entire back story of Kullervo's parentage, how his uncle killed his father (the editor claims this was the origin of the Hamlet story) and brought him up as a servant, tried to kill him off, discovers Kullervo is lousy at every task set him,sells him off as a slave to Ilmarinen,  whose wife tries to kill him, and whom (the wife, that is) he does kill, then goes off to kill his uncle and as collateral damage kills his mother and two oldest siblings (nasty people)---although the last part is reduced to a plot outline attached to the end of the fragment.  Tolkien keeps only some of the names found in the Kalevala.

The story was probably written 1914, the talk somewhat later.

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on May 17, 2016, 08:24:00 AM
The Door, a novel by Magda Szabó:

[asin] 1590177711[/asin]

Hot damn. I'm almost to the end and really want to shut my office door and read. What starts as a character study of a young woman and her housekeeper builds in tension until it goes to some really crazy places. Szabó's control of her narrative, and her language, is really breathtaking. One of those books where I feel confident that the author is taking me somewhere great.

Now reading this book for the second time. Something special.

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 29, 2016, 07:00:31 PM
Already done: a slim book, consisting of an unfinished prose version of the Kullervo story with outbreaks of verse sort of in the style of the original, two versions of a talk about the Kalevala in general,  again not quite complete, aimed at people not familiar with the Kalevala, and much editorial writing on the subject of this story as precursor to the Turin story of the Similarrion, incidental influences on  Elvish language, etc.

The story breaks off just after the suicide of Kullervo's sister, but covers the entire back story of Kullervo's parentage, how his uncle killed his father (the editor claims this was the origin of the Hamlet story) and brought him up as a servant, tried to kill him off, discovers Kullervo is lousy at every task set him,sells him off as a slave to Ilmarinen,  whose wife tries to kill him, and whom (the wife, that is) he does kill, then goes off to kill his uncle and as collateral damage kills his mother and two oldest siblings (nasty people)---although the last part is reduced to a plot outline attached to the end of the fragment.  Tolkien keeps only some of the names found in the Kalevala.

The story was probably written 1914, the talk somewhat later.

Thank you. :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Almost finished with Wilhelm Meister's apprenticeship but I think I'll leave further commenting to future, when I have also read Wilhelm Meister's journeyman years. I cannot find that book in finnish translation anywhere, hell, it's possible it has never even been translated in finnish, so I'll probably buy an english translation from somewhere, perhaps that excellent one by Carlyle, and get on with it.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo