What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

andolink

Just started this behemoth and it's already fascinating:

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

Ghost Sonata

Rather than begin a thread devoted to it, I thought I'd ask here:  has anyone read or heard of Edward Rothstein's comparison of music and maths, Emblems of Mind: the Inner Life of Music and Mathematics (1995).  Wondering how revelatory and readable it might be.

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on August 24, 2016, 08:27:25 AM
Rather than begin a thread devoted to it, I thought I'd ask here:  has anyone read or heard of Edward Rothstein's comparison of music and maths, Emblems of Mind: the Inner Life of Music and Mathematics (1995).  Wondering how revelatory and readable it might be.

I don't know. Curious now, myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ludwigii

AA.VV. (Enzo Restagno, Alexander Ivashkin, Elizabeth Wilson)

SCHNITTKE

EDT (Torino)

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Brian

Books I'm bringing on my vacation:

- The Selfishness of Others: An Essay on the Fear of Narcissism, by Kristin Dombek
- Stoner, by John Williams
- Flashman, by George Macdonald Fraser
- Dear Life, by Alice Munro

Florestan

Finished recently:

(the Spanish translation of Michel Houellebecq's Submission)

Currently reading:

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night (Romanian translation)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF

Manon Lescaut.

[asin]0199554927[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

André

Quote from: Florestan on August 31, 2016, 05:49:31 AM
Finished recently:

(the Spanish translation of Michel Houellebecq's Submission)

For a moment I thought this was the romanian translation. Isn't there one ? Houellebecq is an extremely trendy and timely read author these days.

Parsifal

Quote from: Draško on August 16, 2016, 10:40:32 AM

William Faulkner - The Hamlet (Dugo, Vrelo Leto (The Long, Hot Summer) in Serbian translation)

I wonder what Faulkner is like in Serbian translation. So much in Faulkner is in the reproduction of colloquial speech of different ethnic groups.

Florestan

Quote from: André on September 01, 2016, 04:25:46 PM
For a moment I thought this was the romanian translation. Isn't there one ?

Not yet.

The novel is good, but rather naive --- for instance, it implies that the Sorbonne Islamic University would still offer courses on Huysmans and Peguy...  ;D

It depicts extremely well the irresponsibility and stupidity of a certain type of French intellectuals, who talk about France being turned into an islamic state, and Sorbonne into an islamic university, as if it were the most natural and benign phenomenon in the world.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

Conversations between Haruki Murakami and Seiji Ozawa on classical music and recordings.

Drasko

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 10:16:29 AM
I wonder what Faulkner is like in Serbian translation. So much in Faulkner is in the reproduction of colloquial speech of different ethnic groups.

It depends a lot on quality and ambition of translator though something gets lost in translation inevitably. Various colloquial speeches can be rendered in some more or less corresponding local colloquial speeches. English and Serbian have different syntax so the rhythm and flow of original sentence can't be preserved quite the same anyhow. 

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on September 05, 2016, 12:25:59 PM

Hey Bill,the complete Continental Op comes out for Kindle later this month, $10

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on September 05, 2016, 12:39:09 PM
Hey Bill,the complete Continental Op comes out for Kindle later this month, $10

Link me, Ken.  Just purchased this a few minutes before your post:

From Good Reads
3 sub-sections: the amateur, the private investigator, and the police detective
A detective fiction anthology filled with award winning short stories, information on the authors who wrote them, discussion about the history and evolution of the genre, and important literary criticism.

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on September 05, 2016, 02:47:26 PM
Link me, Ken.  Just purchased this a few minutes before your post:

From Good Reads
3 sub-sections: the amateur, the private investigator, and the police detective
A detective fiction anthology filled with award winning short stories, information on the authors who wrote them, discussion about the history and evolution of the genre, and important literary criticism.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Op-Complete-Case-Files-ebook/dp/B01HFUTQ3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473121693&sr=8-1&keywords=Complete+continental+op

Bogey