Poll

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

Author Topic: The Beatles Backyard  (Read 11357 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: The Beatles Backyard
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »
Today I've been revisiting the White Album 50th Remixes... while I really enjoyed the Sgt. Pepper remixes from a couple years ago, I'm still undecided on the White Album.  There are some tracks where the improvement is clear and obvious, such as "Long, Long, Long," which sounds absolutely amazing on this, so much clearer and more focused.  And yet in other places the new mix seems to bring out details just for the sake bringing them out.  Drums and bass are more prominent pretty much throughout, which greatly benefits the rockers.

George Martin once famously said that the existing double album was too unfocused, and would have been much improved if they'd pared it down to a single album.  In theory I kind of agree with him; but like many other Beatle-nerds I keep trying to come up with a 14 track, 7 tracks per side version that truly satisfies.  I've had a playlist on my phone for years, and every time I put it on I end up moving things around, and adding or removing a song or two.

My current list (which may change by supper time):

Side 1:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence (the opening 1-2 punch is so good, I can't mess with it)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Mother Nature's Son
Cry Baby Cry
Blackbird
I'm So Tired

Side 2

Birthday
Don't Pass Me By (gotta have a Ringo song)
Revolution 1
Long, Long, Long
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Julia

I'm still not happy with it, though, not least because there are a couple of key songs missing (looking at you, Glass Onion).  Maybe I need to cheat and do 8 songs per side for a total of 16 -- which would have still fit comfortably on an LP, I think....  or I could pull in the Revolution/Hey Jude single.... sigh.

Lol. I never even considered this, even though I acknowledge it's a fun thing to do.
I would not place Mother's Nature Son and Blackbird so close together though, on one and the same side. To me, they're too much in the same league (in different meanings).
And if I wanted to hear Ringo, I'd pick Good Night, John's lullaby for Julian.

But... to be honest, I like this 'messy' double album just as it is, despite George Martin's remarks. Musically, it's got everything that the 'studio' Beatles had got to give in those years. It's an awesome record.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2019, 11:04:58 AM »
Lol. I never even considered this, even though I acknowledge it's a fun thing to do.
I would not place Mother's Nature Son and Blackbird so close together though, on one and the same side. To me, they're too much in the same league (in different meanings).
And if I wanted to hear Ringo, I'd pick Good Night, John's lullaby for Julian.

But... to be honest, I like this 'messy' double album just as it is, despite George Martin's remarks. Musically, it's got everything that the 'studio' Beatles had got to give in those years. It's an awesome record.

Yeah, agreed on the proximity of Blackbird and Mother Nature's Son, I definitely need to move one of them to side 2... but then I might end up with too many John songs in a row.  Decisions.

I do love the original album, of course.  This whole exercise is a complete waste of time, but as you say it's amusing and gives me an excuse to revisit the music now and then.  Part of the challenge is to make it like a album they would have released -- so you need to balance Paul vs John, have an opener and a closer for each side, etc., and thus you need a Ringo song -- Don't Pass Me By has never been one of my favorites, but it's slim pickin's here....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
I'd take Good Night over Don't Pass Me By as the Ringo track (and as the album closer) . And would replace Happiness is a Warm Gun and Helter Skelter with Yer Blues and Glass Onion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:16:20 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
I'd take Good Night over Don't Pass Me By as the Ringo track (and as the album closer) . And would replace Happiness is a Warm Gun and Helter Skelter with Yer Blues and Glass Onion.

I would never ever replace Happiness Is A Warm Gun for anything.
It's definitely a Top 10 Beatles song for me.

Again, IMHO there's just too many good stuff to make one vinyl album out of it.
Imagine a Beatles legacy without Piggies! No way! ;)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link