Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 09, 2019, 10:37:44 AM
Abbado II, Simonov. "BR Klassik Cycle". Nott*. Kubelik. Solti, as mentioned. "Telarc Cycle". Tennstedt Big Box Cycle... possibly others, as I'm not through the whole list yet.
Just looking at my shelves I see Neumann/Czech PO only has 1-9.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 09, 2019, 06:11:53 PM
Just looking at my shelves I see Neumann/Czech PO only has 1-9.

Not even right after the First Symphony? The newer box (I overlooked it at first, too) has it, at least.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 09, 2019, 10:28:16 PM
Not even right after the First Symphony? The newer box (I overlooked it at first, too) has it, at least.
You are correct my bad.

Does this hodge-podge count?
[asin]B000063WA1[/asin]

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 09, 2019, 10:28:16 PM

Easy to miss because Amazon has it under a misleading title ("1-9") even though the 10 Adagio is there.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 14, 2019, 11:29:43 AM
You are correct my bad.

Does this hodge-podge count?
[asin]B000063WA1[/asin]

Yes, I might include that, actually.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I don't know what counts as an "incomplete cycle" but one possibility is Neuman/Gewandhaus. I have seen 5, 6, 7 and 9. It is possible there are others.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 14, 2019, 01:12:26 PM
I don't know what counts as an "incomplete cycle" but one possibility is Neuman/Gewandhaus. I have seen 5, 6, 7 and 9. It is possible there are others.

Neuman Gewandhaus is awfully incomplete -- but that which is in it is soooo good, so I might include it -- if I can find all albums in one place or in print.
If so, then I would also include non-cycle cycles of Walter and Klemperer, Tennstedt LIVE, and Barbirolli.

Other incomplete cycles (more obviously cycles, at that) are Haitink/Berlin, Haitink/Kerstmatinees, Kondrashin, Levine, Mácal, Abbado/Lucerne, Chailly/Leipzig.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 14, 2019, 12:40:23 PM
Yes, I might include that, actually.
It is actually not bad, number 2 and 8 are pretty weak but the rest are actually surprisingly good.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 14, 2019, 01:19:01 PM
Neuman Gewandhaus is awfully incomplete -- but that which is in it is soooo good, so I might include it -- if I can find all albums in one place or in print.
If so, then I would also include non-cycle cycles of Walter and Klemperer, Tennstedt LIVE, and Barbirolli.

Other incomplete cycles (more obviously cycles, at that) are Haitink/Berlin, Haitink/Kerstmatinees, Kondrashin, Levine, Mácal, Abbado/Lucerne, Chailly/Leipzig.

They are hard to find. I have 5 on Brilliant Classics and 9 on Berlin Classics. I don't know how to get the others.

It might be worth making some reference to fragments accompaning complete cycles, such as Neuman Gewandhaus along side Neuman Czech, Haitink/Berlin along side Haitink Concertgebouw, Chailly/Leipzig alongside Chailly Concertgebouw, etc.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 14, 2019, 01:53:34 PM
They are hard to find. I have 5 on Brilliant Classics and 9 on Berlin Classics. I don't know how to get the others.

7 seems readily available also from Berlin Classics:

[asin]B0002C5Z56[/asin]

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Good find. My googling skills failed me.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 14, 2019, 03:58:21 PM
Good find. My googling skills failed me.
6 seems to be available from some scalper:

[asin]B000025DFN[/asin]
(what odd coupling !)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 14, 2019, 01:53:34 PM

It might be worth making some reference to fragments accompaning complete cycles, such as Neuman Gewandhaus along side Neuman Czech, Haitink/Berlin along side Haitink Concertgebouw, Chailly/Leipzig alongside Chailly Concertgebouw, etc.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Namely -- that instead of going strictly chronological in this presentation, I will go Alphabetically by conductor. This makes the presentation of such almost-cycles much more natural, I should think.

Thanks for finding the Neumann 6th. Now it's just down to waiting for Berlin Classics to re-issue it.

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 15, 2019, 01:49:01 AM
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Namely -- that instead of going strictly chronological in this presentation, I will go Alphabetically by conductor. This makes the presentation of such almost-cycles much more natural, I should think.

Thanks for finding the Neumann 6th. Now it's just down to waiting for Berlin Classics to re-issue it.

Preferably on a single disc, Beethovenless.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on January 15, 2019, 04:54:31 PM
Preferably on a single disc, Beethovenless.

Indeed. More preferably still, perhaps, boxed with the other three Mahler Symphonies from Leipzig with him.

In fact, I could also think of a neat historic GDR Mahler cycle, methinks. With some Roegner, Herbig, Neumann et al. Anyone fancy that idea?

Biffo

I have Symphonies 4, 5 & 9 on Brilliant discs, they are part of a Symphonies Edition in cardboard sleeves and they are numbered CD73, 74 and 79. I bought them individually on ebay.  No 4 is from Harmut Haenchen and the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Nos 5 & 9 from Neumann and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. Presumably this edition contained a complete Mahler cycle but who conducted the others I have no idea.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Biffo on January 16, 2019, 02:23:51 AM
I have Symphonies 4, 5 & 9 on Brilliant discs, they are part of a Symphonies Edition in cardboard sleeves and they are numbered CD73, 74 and 79. I bought them individually on ebay.  No 4 is from Harmut Haenchen and the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Nos 5 & 9 from Neumann and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. Presumably this edition contained a complete Mahler cycle but who conducted the others I have no idea.
Brilliant once came out with a big box called the Complete Symphony Set. It had 200+ symphonies and I believe this is where you got those cds from.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 16, 2019, 02:53:33 AM
Brilliant once came out with a big box called the Complete Symphony Set. It had 200+ symphonies and I believe this is where you got those cds from.

Thanks for the info. Checking my collection, I have the complete Mozart Symphonies (Jaap ter Linden/Mozart Akademie Amsterdam) and Haydn's London Symphonies (Adam Fischer/Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra) from the same box. Several years ago there was a seller on ebay who broke up Brilliant Boxes and sold the discs individually or in batches. No idea what his source was, presumably returns.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Biffo on January 16, 2019, 03:09:59 AM
Thanks for the info. Checking my collection, I have the complete Mozart Symphonies (Jaap ter Linden/Mozart Akademie Amsterdam) and Haydn's London Symphonies (Adam Fischer/Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra) from the same box. Several years ago there was a seller on ebay who broke up Brilliant Boxes and sold the discs individually or in batches. No idea what his source was, presumably returns.
Here's a link http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=176769. Arkiv seems to be the only one still with a listing (or perhaps it had another name).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 16, 2019, 02:15:03 AM
Indeed. More preferably still, perhaps, boxed with the other three Mahler Symphonies from Leipzig with him.

In fact, I could also think of a neat historic GDR Mahler cycle, methinks. With some Roegner, Herbig, Neumann et al. Anyone fancy that idea?

Absolutely ! Herbig is excellent in the Mahler 5th and 6th - overlapping with Neumann, though. Rögner's 3rd is one of my top 3 versions for that work.