Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Prompted by the "Favourite Mahler symphony" poll, I am listening to Nanut conducting the 6th - after giving up on Gergiev's recent attempt, which frankly I think trivialises the music. Nanut's timings are almost as brief as Gergiev's (except the Andante), but, unlike the LSO, Nanut's orchestra doesn't sound rushed, and, thanks to balanced tempo relationships, you actually get a coherent sense of the structure. Also, his Radio Symphony Orchestra Ljubljana certainly do not disgrace themselves.

Verdict: This is proper Mahler!

Movement timings:
               Nanut    Gergiev
I.             21.56    21.59
II. (Andante)  15.34    13.53
III.(Scherzo)  12.36    12.34
IV.            29.51    28.45

Renfield

Is that legit, though? As far as I'm aware, Nanut's name is attached to less-than-legal reproductions of famous recordings.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Renfield on September 13, 2011, 03:31:37 AM
Is that legit, though? As far as I'm aware, Nanut's name is attached to less-than-legal reproductions of famous recordings.

It's Nanut's birthday... Be gentle with him.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Renfield

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 13, 2011, 03:35:55 AM

It's Nanut's birthday... Be gentle with him.  ;D

Of course, the real Anton Nanut could likely have delivered a satisfying Mahler 6th as well.

Better? ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Renfield on September 13, 2011, 03:55:25 AM
Of course, the real Anton Nanut could likely have delivered a satisfying Mahler 6th as well.

Better? ;D

:'(  Moved to tears.  :'(
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MishaK

Quote from: Renfield on September 13, 2011, 03:31:37 AM

If he was, then that is not of his own doing. Nanut was music director in Ljubljana (Slovenia) for many many years. Must have recorded about as much symphonic repertoire as Karajan. And much of it quite decently so.

Renfield

Quote from: MishaK on September 13, 2011, 08:50:28 AM
If he was, then that is not of his own doing. Nanut was music director in Ljubljana (Slovenia) for many many years. Must have recorded about as much symphonic repertoire as Karajan. And much of it quite decently so.

Yes, obviously he's not the one doing it! :)

Either way, I've not heard a Nanut, or faux-Nanut recording, so I can't speak for their quality.

eyeresist

Quote from: Renfield on September 13, 2011, 11:31:55 AM
Yes, obviously he's not the one doing it! :)

Either way, I've not heard a Nanut, or faux-Nanut recording, so I can't speak for their quality.

Most of my Nanut recordings are on the Point Classics label (now semi-defunct), but this M6 is on ZYX. He is generally reliable, sometimes outstanding. I value his recording of Rimsky's Sheherezade as one of my favourites. His Mahler is very fine (he is credited as recording 1, 4, 5, 6 & DLvdE), except I recall being disappointed by his M4 - possibly this was an example of rebranding under his name? - and was not impressed by Das Lied, all though this is not a work I care for anyway. Also on Point are the Brahms piano concertos with Dubravka Tomsic; I think these are genuine, as I've read an Amazon review by someone claiming to be one of Tomsic's students. There are fine recordings of Tchaikovsky's 4-6, if you like that sort of thing ;)

There is a Shostakovich 7 of which I've heard good things - must get around to buying it one day. Basically, whatever the provenance of the "Nanut" recordings, my experiences have generally been very good, and I'd recommend him as a name to look for.

MishaK

Quote from: eyeresist on September 14, 2011, 06:17:06 PM
possibly this was an example of rebranding under his name?

Why would anyone do that? Wouldn't it be the other way around - a Nanut recording posing for something else (since non-Slavs have trouble pronouncing Ljubljana)?

eyeresist

Quote from: MishaK on September 15, 2011, 09:34:53 AM
Why would anyone do that?

I think it's precisely because Nanut is a name known to aficionados of excellent bargains :)

MishaK

Streaming video of a superb performance of Mahler 5 with Honeck/Pittsburgh on tour in the Philharmonie in Berlin from a week ago.

http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/PSO_Mahler/

Marc

Quote from: MishaK on September 18, 2011, 09:33:06 AM
Streaming video of a superb performance of Mahler 5 with Honeck/Pittsburgh on tour in the Philharmonie in Berlin from a week ago.

Thanks for the link.
Now, almost at the end of the 2nd movement, and, on first hearing, I have to say that there's more musically happening in this performance than in NYPO/Gilbert's 2nd on 9-11 2011 in New York.

Pittsburgh/Honeck looks a good marriage to me!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Marc on September 18, 2011, 10:36:11 AM
Thanks for the link.
Now, almost at the end of the 2nd movement, and, on first hearing, I have to say that there's more musically happening in this performance than in NYPO/Gilbert's 2nd on 9-11 2011 in New York.

Yes, I like it, too! Thanks for the link.

kishnevi

Received an email from AmazonUK touting among other upcoming releases, the Chailly/Gewandhaus performances of M2 and M8 that were part of the Leipzig Mahlerfest a few weeks ago, on Blu-Ray DVD.  IIRC, these were two performances Jens didn't see...I think they'll be out in November in the UK.  No mention of any non-BluRay version or of a US release date, if it's different.

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on August 25, 2011, 03:13:21 AM
It's not worthless, I'm happy to say. Finally found time to listen to it (only once, while working). Curiously dampened sound quality, which smoothes the effort... but with a very nice flow to it. Might just go give it another spin right now, once I'm through with the Hans Gál Violin Concerto (Gramola).

Received it and played it last night  [it being Gergiev/LSO Ninth].  I thought it was a very good performance, actually, although my previous favorites will remain my favorites--it might be the best installment of Gergiev's Mahler cycle.

Sound quality didn't sound much different from almost any other recording I have that was taped at the Barbican...

Marc

Quote from: MishaK on September 18, 2011, 09:33:06 AM

Quote from: Marc on September 18, 2011, 10:36:11 AM
Thanks for the link.

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 10:38:10 AM
Yes, I like it, too! Thanks for the link.

The 3rd movement (Scherzo) is certainly one of my Mahler faves.
I'm always getting moved by the horn solo, beginning from around 34 mins 20 secs in this specific one.

ibanezmonster

I have a question. What is the x equivalent to a Mahler symphony?

1) movie
2) book
3) video game
4) artwork

by that, I mean, what makes you feel the same way after finishing?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Greg on September 18, 2011, 07:38:22 PM
I have a question. What is the x equivalent to a Mahler symphony?

1) movie
2) book
3) video game
4) artwork

by that, I mean, what makes you feel the same way after finishing?

Mahler was a very literary man, who liked his Shakespeare, Goethe, Jean Paul and Dostoevsky. In their length and variety, his symphonies are a bit novel-like. So I'd say - a book.

Opus106

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 11:07:00 PM

Mahler was a very literary man, who liked his Shakespeare, Goethe, Jean Paul and Dostoevsky. In their length and variety, his symphonies are a bit novel-like. So I'd say - a book.

I interpret the question as "Name a movie/book/artwork/videogame which is a cinematic/literary/artistic-visual-paintingy/zombie-making equivalent to a Mahler symphony".

Perhaps Greg should clarify his question a little more: which Mahler symphony? I can't pigoen-hole them all into "one feeling". In the early days, all of them were 'exhausting' to me, even at the surface level, but I suspect that people like Sarge and others hardly feel so.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 11:07:00 PM

:D  Yes, Mahler's 30 minute movements are akin to some of Dostoesvky's 10 page paragraphs (no word of exaggeration, because in both Crime & Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, there are paragraphs that are literally almost 10 pages long).