Discovering Johann Nepomuk Hummel

Started by mahlertitan, May 03, 2007, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahlertitan

I am beginning to discover this composer, what works should I start first.
so far i have heard:
Piano concertos 1,2,3,4
piano concerto in C Op.34a
piano concerto in A major
piano concerto in G major op. 73
Piano Concerto in A flat major op. 113
Piano concerto in F major
Piano Concerto in A major WoO 24

david johnson

his trumpet concerto is a favorite among trumpeters...i played it on a recital.  great tune.

dj

BachQ

Hummel's masses are exquisite, and rank alongside Haydn's late masses . . . . . .

Go for the Hickox recordings:

Solitary Wanderer

I have this which is excellent and deserving of more attention. You can hear the Haydn influence at times as Haydn trained Hummel for a period.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

71 dB

Hummel is one composer I don't know anything about.
If he is Haydn-like he is worth exploring...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 02:49:28 PM
Hummel is one composer I don't know anything about.
If he is Haydn-like he is worth exploring...

Hummel is a romanticized Haydn . . . . . .

71 dB

Quote from: D Minor on May 03, 2007, 02:51:39 PM
Hummel is a romanticized Haydn . . . . . .

So he should be as he lived 1778-1837. He should be Beethoven-like.  ;)

Naxos has many Hummel discs. This should be very good:

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 03:01:32 PM
He should be Beethoven-like.  ;)

Only Brahms can make that claim . . . . . . .

BachQ

Yes, check out that Missa Solemnis . . . . . . . Good stuff . . . . . . .

71 dB

Quote from: D Minor on May 03, 2007, 03:07:50 PM
Yes, check out that Missa Solemnis . . . . . . . Good stuff . . . . . . .

Okay! I'll try to get it in the near future (I try not to buy CDs this month)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 03:14:35 PM
Okay! I'll try to get it in the near future (I try not to buy CDs this month)

Elgar,
If you want to get a Hummel Naxos disk, and are just starting out on Hummel, I strongly recommend the disk with piano concertos 2 & 3 (in a minor & b minor, respectively). I have all his concerti, and those 2 are my favorites, so they make a nice coupling on this disk. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

71 dB

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2007, 04:08:02 PM
Elgar,
If you want to get a Hummel Naxos disk, and are just starting out on Hummel, I strongly recommend the disk with piano concertos 2 & 3 (in a minor & b minor, respectively). I have all his concerti, and those 2 are my favorites, so they make a nice coupling on this disk. :)

8)

Thanks Gurn for the rec. My wishlist grows fast!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 04:10:46 PM
Thanks Gurn for the rec. My wishlist grows fast!  ;D

You're welcome.

Yes, mine too. I am ambivalent about that... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mahlertitan

So he should be as he lived 1778-1837. He should be Beethoven-like.  ;)

the thing is, he is not very Beethoven-like, he's more Mozartian. Chopin was an admirer of his works btw.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 03, 2007, 04:30:33 PM
the thing is, he is not very Beethoven-like, he's more Mozartian. Chopin was an admirer of his works btw.

Quite agree. At least early on, he sounded quite Mozartian. Later, he fell more under the influence of composers like Weber, who was the wellspring of Romanticism, IMO. Note that a lot of his later works are things like potpourris and fantasias, a sure sign that he was abandoning the classical style.

BTW, he was also very good at arranging orchestral works into chamber works. I have 7 Mozart piano concertos and 2 symphonies that he redid for Fortepiano, Flute, Viola & Cello. They are really quite good! :)

8)

BachQ

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2007, 04:51:08 PM
BTW, he was also very good at arranging orchestral works into chamber works. I have 7 Mozart piano concertos and 2 symphonies that he redid for Fortepiano, Flute, Viola & Cello. They are really quite good! :)

Gurn, that sounds absolutely charming!

What CD do you have? Who are the performers?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: D Minor on May 03, 2007, 04:54:03 PM
Gurn, that sounds absolutely charming!

What CD do you have? Who are the performers?

d,
They are 4 disks on BIS. The performers are Fumiko Shiraga (piano)/ Wiese (Flute)/ Clemente (Viola)/ Bényi (Cello). The concerti are #10, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, & 26, and also symphony #40. On another disk that I haven't dug out in a while (I'm not as buried as Harry in Elgar's picture, but near as dammit), I have symphony #40 again and also 41. Can't remember any details about the players, I'll dig it out later if you are interested, but I would bet it is OOP, since I got it 3-4 years ago... :-\

8)

BachQ

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2007, 05:03:52 PM
d,
They are 4 disks on BIS. The performers are Fumiko Shiraga (piano)/ Wiese (Flute)/ Clemente (Viola)/ Bényi (Cello). The concerti are #10, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, & 26, and also symphony #40. On another disk that I haven't dug out in a while (I'm not as buried as Harry in Elgar's picture, but near as dammit), I have symphony #40 again and also 41. Can't remember any details about the players, I'll dig it out later if you are interested, but I would bet it is OOP, since I got it 3-4 years ago... :-\

8)

Thanks, Gurn.  The BIS recording of Hummel's arrangement of Mozart's Piano Concerti looks super . . . . . .

Don

There's a great Hummel 2-cd set of his piano trios on MDG played by the Trio Parnassus.  I've never heard Hummel played with such gusto and sharp attacks; it's a 'go for the throat' set of performances.

Holden

Quote from: Don on May 03, 2007, 09:05:38 PM
There's a great Hummel 2-cd set of his piano trios on MDG played by the Trio Parnassus.  I've never heard Hummel played with such gusto and sharp attacks; it's a 'go for the throat' set of performances.

The Piano Trios are absolutely wonderful though recommendation will be the Beaux Arts Trio on Philips
Cheers

Holden