Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Thank you all very much for your recommendations. I am particularly interested in the Queyras, Schiff (a cellist I have been very impressed with) and I'll make sure to get one of the Slava recordings too. And probably the Fournier too as Sarge likes it so much. I'd like to have a good selection of recordings of this great piece!

That looks like a really great box set, Nav! Ah, it has Harnoncourt's Slavonic Dances! One of my favourite recordings of all time! :)

Thank you all, again! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2012, 03:13:34 PM
No love for the Slava/London Phil/Giulini, Sarge?

Don't know it, Karl. I have Rostropovich with Karajan and Talich, the latter a great performance with the Czech Phil on Supraphon recorded in 1951 or 52 (the liner notes a bit hazy). Perusing Gramophone reviews, I notice the British think his best recording (Talich, Guilini, Karajan, Boult) is....Boult. But then Gramophone would  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 24, 2012, 02:40:29 AM
Thank you all very much for your recommendations. I am particularly interested in the Queyras, Schiff (a cellist I have been very impressed with) and I'll make sure to get one of the Slava recordings too. And probably the Fournier too as Sarge likes it so much. I'd like to have a good selection of recordings of this great piece!

Actually, Daniel, my favorite is Davis/Schiff but I thought Fournier the safer, more conventional recommendation.

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Slightly off topic, I haven't heard Queyras' Dvorak, but I would guess it's good considering his Vivaldi and Haydn concertos discs are some of the best I've heard.

mszczuj

I must say once again about cello concero that Zara Nelsova - Walter Susskind recording is absolutely, absolutely amazing:

[asin]B000001K27[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 12:24:15 AM
No love for Slava and your home band, Karl? :)

Hah!  Don't know that one at all, Nav . . . and I cannot make out the text on the back. You don't happen to know which conductor, and when recorded?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 06:19:38 AM
Hah!  Don't know that one at all, Nav . . . and I cannot make out the text on the back. You don't happen to know which conductor, and when recorded?

Ozawa and 1986. :) It's spinning right now. This could have well been the first version I heard, when much of my listening was due to beethoven.com back in '06. But when I first heard it on the CD, I felt there was something weird with the sound, although I'm not able to quite put my finger on it now. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

That looks like a really great box set, Nav! Ah, it has Harnoncourt's Slavonic Dances! One of my favourite recordings of all time! :)

Oh, yours too! I'm sorry to have left your name out, then. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 06:49:35 AM
Ozawa and 1986. :) It's spinning right now. This could have well been the first version I heard, when much of my listening was due to beethoven.com back in '06. But when I first heard it on the CD, I felt there was something weird with the sound, although I'm not able to quite put my finger on it now. :-\a

Maybe it doesn't bother you anymore? : ) Thanks for bringing this to my attention . . . I may well fetch in that single disc, since the box seems only to available across the wave . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 03:33:14 AM
Don't know it, Karl. I have Rostropovich with Karajan and Talich, the latter a great performance with the Czech Phil on Supraphon recorded in 1951 or 52 (the liner notes a bit hazy). Perusing Gramophone reviews, I notice the British think his best recording (Talich, Guilini, Karajan, Boult) is....Boult. But then Gramophone would  ;D

Not surprisingly, Sarge, your recommendation of the Szell/Fournier has our ear : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 07:22:29 AM
Maybe it doesn't bother you anymore? : )

Perhaps. Through computer speakers, it doesn't right now. ;D It may have had something to do with prominence of the soloist compared to the orchestra, I guess. But since people who know better about these things have only good things to say, I suppose it's just me. The playing of the cello lines, IMVHO, is beautiful.

QuoteThanks for bringing this to my attention . . . I may well fetch in that single disc, since the box seems only to available across the wave . . . .

You're welcome. I bought the box at a discount from Presto, two or three years ago.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 07:26:03 AM
Not surprisingly, Sarge, your recommendation of the Szell/Fournier has our ear : )

Szell's always a sure bet in Dvorak. And Fournier...well, no need to elaborate.

And Gramophone grabbed my ear: I found the Boult/Rostropovich for only 5 Euro Cents  :D  Ordered it (how could I not?  8) )

Sarge

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

5¢ €?  A steal, Sarge!

Nav, who are the forces for the Requiem in that box?  That's a piece which Shaw somehow failed to sell me on.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on June 24, 2012, 07:40:46 AM
That Warner box seems to be available at Amazon US, too, Karl:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00021T5TE/?tag=goodmusicguideco-21

Well done, and thanks! I failed to turn it up, but then, probably I didn't go about searching very intelligently . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 03:35:31 AM
Actually, Daniel, my favorite is Davis/Schiff but I thought Fournier the safer, more conventional recommendation.

Sarge

Shall probably get the Davis/Schiff then, he really is a cellist I have been very impressed with. Thanks, Sarge.

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 06:52:58 AM
Oh, yours too! I'm sorry to have left your name out, then. :)

haha, no worries, Nav! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 07:36:13 AM
And Gramophone grabbed my ear: I found the Boult/Rostropovich for only 5 Euro Cents  :D  Ordered it (how could I not?  8) )
Sarge

So, did Mrs. Rock get that Eu. 19.95 ring? ;D ;)

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 07:41:45 AM
Nav, who are the forces for the Requiem in that box?

It's an unheard-of French orchestra with a long name. The names of the performers can be found listed at this page (click on the work's name). :)
Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 07:43:43 AM
Well done, and thanks! I failed to turn it up, but then, probably I didn't go about searching very intelligently . . . .
I just changed Nav's link's ending to .com - Amazon is nice when this works (most of the time)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Lisztianwagner

I've loved Dvořák's music since I listened to the Karajan/BPO recording of the 9th symphony; amongs the Czech composers, he is certainly my favourite. :) His works are incredibly powerful and expressive, deep and passionate, and they have always impressed me for the involving rythm, the splendid harmony, the haunting beauty of the melodies and the colourful, brilliant orchestration.
Besides the symphonies, my favourite Dvořák's pieces are the Piano, the Violin and the Cello Concerto op.104, the symphonic poems, Scherzo capriccioso, Serenade for strings and the Slavonic Dances.
Just about the Slavonic Dances, I've listened to them very much in this period, such gorgeous, beautiful music; both the Kubelik and the Harnoncourt are absolutely excellent recordings! 

Instead I'm afraid I'm still rather unfamiliar with Dvořák's chamber music; I would like to hear the String Quartets and the Prague String Quartet seems a fine box set; any other recommendation?

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler